Ratings for Dr. Adam Oster

Dr. Adam Oster is the type of person medical schools should select against becoming doctors. The man lacks empathy, and is only interested in the medical profession for the prestige and salary that he expects it to provide. Having twice had the unfortunate luck of arriving while he was on duty, I know now to call ahead and schedule my 'emergency' visits before or after his shift (as if that's possible). He is arrogant, self-satisfied, overly-confident, dismissive, patronizing, and without empathy or compassion. His bed-side manners are non-existent, and it is my feeling that he should be moved to administration where he has little to no patient contact. 1. On my first visit, unable to bear weight, he misdiagnosed a strained ligament as a stress fracture, and was adamant that it was not work-related, even though the mechanism of injury couldn't be specified. An MRI at another facility showed that it was a strained ligament, and they provided the documentation to support my assertion that it could be a cumulative work-related injury, which is a HUGE difference if you need to take time off from work. Having discussed this with Dr. Adam Oster, it was clear that he couldn't care less about how his diagnoses might impact my employment situation, as he made clear with his 'not my problem' attitude. It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that he was mistaken in the diagnosis, and his attitude left no room for such a possibility. Me, I had to return to work, and explain to my employer that I must have somehow injured myself away from my job. Thankfully the second opinion and the updated diagnosis helped me and my employer identify possibly repetitive strain conditions that may have led to my injury. Though this process was much delayed and obstructed by Dr. Adam Oster's mis-diagnosis and attitude. 2. On my second visit, where he didn't recognize me, he spent most all of his time flirting uncomfortably with one of the newer nurses. In those moments, you could see flashes of his charismatic self (he is not an attractive man for his age), but it was clear that he bore those affections like a mean-girl in high school (the kind I know all to well), dispensing with his better manners to staff and patients, as a means to maintain power and control over them. Clearly overwhelmed by his ego's desire for approval and the submission of others around him, he barely registered the presence of a patient under his care. I had split my eyebrow on the elbow of another intra-mural soccer teammate, and I just need it cleaned out and stitched closed, instead Dr. Adam Oster preened and pranced through the hospital wing leaving me to sit unattended for four hours. When he finally felt that it was time to help stitch me close, the nubile blonde nurses having been called back to their work stations, he was lazy and uncaring in his work, leaving me with a ragged scar at the fore of my eyebrow, and when I asked him about it, his response was threefold -1. I was being overly concerned about my own look, not being a very attractive person to begin with, who could stand to lose some weight (or something to that case - I was so shocked that I forgot the exact words) 2. If I cared about my stitching, I should have gotten a plastic surgeon, which he was not, though it was not clear I deserved one. 3. Beggars couldn't be choosers, as if my arriving at his Emergency station was somehow a blessing he was providing to me. And all I could think about was those poor nurses that have to deal with his weird and uncomfortable advances and innuendos. Looking down at his hand, I found it almost impossible to believe that he was married, but the tan-line/ring on his finger suggests otherwise. I can only hope that he is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it comes to his home life. Any woman who can stand this man is a hero in my book. I certainly didn't. But who knows, maybe he has a good side too, and I'm just too ugly/fat to see it. He clearly made me feel that way. So if you want the best care from Dr. Adam Oster, be young, thin, attractive, blonde, large breasted, and hopefully of the 'right' type of people (ie. Rich) and I'm sure he'll treat you well. All that being said, he was punctual (initially), and the hospital nurses were excellent.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2018

Dr Adam Oster at the Alberta Children’s Hospital. I wish you gave my son, Wali, some more time and really diagnosed him the way he SHOULD have been diagnosed the night we rushed to the emergency because he had a burning fever and couldn’t breathe properly. You corrected me saying, “It’s called stridor, not wheezing,” when I told you how I could hear wheezy sounds while he struggled to breathe. I wish you looked a bit beyond the checkup done by the nurses in triage. You stood in the room we were for less than five minutes and gave my two-year-old a STEROID medicine which he never needed. Three days after you saw him, we saw another doctor and she sent us in for a chest X-ray right away and turns out all that he had all these days was pneumonia and NOT croup as you had dubbed. Your negligence and your careless attitude caused us sleepless nights filled with stress and pain. I saw my child’s cough becoming hoarser, his body kept fighting the bacteria causing pneumonia for so many days it went undiagnosed. He had and still has non-stop burning fevers, his appetite has reduced to almost NO SOLID FOOD and barely any liquid here and there. He is in so much pain that he’s only drinking a sip or two at a time. He has been coughing up so much mucus that his throat has been inflamed to the point that he cannot swallow without feeling pain. He wakes up at night, burning in fever and crying and coughing up. He has vomited several times, throwing up even more mucus. You are probably the worst doctor I have taken my child to. You left my child struggle with pneumonia all these days when all he needed was an X-ray to confirm the symptoms and antibiotics to follow. What I went through, I wouldn’t wish this upon my worst enemy. I seriously think you should step down and not be allowed to see children who come in with serious illnesses and you turn them away WITHOUT EVEN checking as much as their throat and ears (these are basics!). No child should be seen by you or else, they will be put on a serious risk of being misdiagnosed and mistreated.

Submitted February 5, 2018

I seen Dr. Oster in the emergency department. He has no idea what he's talking about! Told me very incorrect information, that I later verified through numerous doctors, that he was completely wrong. He's not thorough at all, very passive and overall not helpful. I wish I could of had any other doctor by him. My concerns were completely brushed off. I then later needed emergency surgery at another hospital within a day of seeing him. If he would of done proper diagnostics when I did see him, I wouldn't of needed emergency surgery.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2015

Saw him during a follow-up Emerg visit a week after a broken neck and concussion 02/15. He took the time to have me explain my symptoms fully and the chronology of my accident and subsequent issues and gave me direct, sound advice. Although his bedside manner may come across as being a bit brusque, he was clearly very competent. Took the time to explain things to my wife also once she got into Emergency.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2015

I have had the pleasure of being Dr. Oster's patient, and now I have the pleasure of working alongside him in the ED. He tells people what they NEED to hear. He told me what I needed to hear years ago...I thought he was a total dick at the time. But what he said inspired me, and I credit my short interaction with Dr. Oster as a major contributing factor to my recovery. I don't think he realizes just how good his psychiatric instincts are. His harsh approach saved my life.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2014