Ratings for Dr. Mia L. VANEKEN

Of all the doctors I've ever met I like this one the least.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I had a horrible experience with Dr Van Eken. She was rude, unprofessional, and lied to me saying she did not have records from the high risk OBs office, when the front desk staff printed it for me 5 minutes later on my way out. She laughed at my questions, and brushed everything off. I hated her, but will continue to go to Valley for Women because there are a few doctors there I do love.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

I saw Dr. Van Eken once and will not ever go back and see her again. She is rude and unprofessional.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2015

Office staff includes her mother who taught her bedside manners and too concerned about Botox and vanity

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

I had great prenatal care at VWFW and was very excited about delivering with one of their docs at Mercy Gilbert. I had met all the docs that deliver there beforehand and although Dr. Van Eken seemed like she had a little ego, I didn't think much of it. After having labored for 23 hours, the wonderful nurses at MG had me start to push since my on-call doc was supposed to be there any minute. I originally was supposed to have Dr. Belisle deliver but was told Dr. Van Eken had to come as Dr. Belisle was busy with another patient. I was then told to stop pushing because we had to wait for her. I wasn't too bothered by that either. What did bother me then and still does to this day is that as soon as Dr. Van Eken arrived in the delivery room, she seemed annoyed to even be there. This was my first delivery and I had figured that my doc would have at least good bedside manner as I was super excited for this special moment. It was late into the night and I know she wasn't scheduled to be there but that was in no way my fault. She let me push for maybe 10-15 minutes before she threatened to cut me because I had not gotten the baby out. She gave me one more try then cut me. I didn't think much of it at the time but later found out from a doctor in the family who deliver babies that what she did to me was due to her impatience and was not medically necessary. I didn't know what the average amount of time was that women pushed but come on, 10-15 minutes? Really? That's all you give me? I also learned that by cutting me (an old school method), she put me at risk for a higher grade tear. I also learned that by cutting me, I have a greater likelihood for incontinence later in life as my pelvic muscles (which are weakened by pregnancy) were further weakened. My daughter was not in danger nor did Dr. Van Eken ever say she was in danger. She just didn't like that I was taking more than 15 minutes of her time. I get that OBs are super overworked but that should never ever be taken out on the patient. It really is too bad. I loved the staff and the office. I just wish I had been more fortunate to have gotten a different VWFW doctor at my delivery.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2014

I had a nightmare delivery of my baby with Dr Van Eken. I had life-threatening complications, and without getting into a lot of detail, it took Dr. Van Eken hours to find out what was wrong (a simple ultrasound was needed) before she performed surgery. Then, she told me everything was fine, to come back in six weeks for a standard check-up, and never followed up. I called her a few times in the next couple of weeks due to complications and she brushed off my concerns. A couple weeks later I developed a serious infection and found out the initial surgery was never completed properly. I had to see another doctor to have the surgery repeated and they were shocked at how much was missed. I am so angry that every time I brought up concerns about symptoms, Dr. Van Eken made it seem like I was over-reacting. She should have followed up with my care, especially after a major surgery. I would warn anyone against seeing Dr Van Eken.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2010

Had saw Dr. Van Eken once. There front staff people were unprofessional. Dr. Van Eken made me felt like I was an inconvenience and a complete waste of her time. She didn't answer any of my questions she was rude and did not explain anything. Will not recommend Valley women for Women at anyone.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2010

I thought this doctor was cold and only interested in the money. I tried to hand her previous medical reports and she waved them away. I went for an annual and she prescribed 5 different tests. Their billing person said they would be covered. I started with two, and have been billed over $550 already. The office is very disorganized and incompetent. When I call I usually get voicemail or put on a very long hold. I will definitely not go back to this doctor or Valley Women for Women.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2009

I'm unable to rate Dr. Van Eken's knowledge, because after $580 worth of blood tests and two weeks of waiting for a diagnosis, suggestion or some other communication, I received a vague call from a nurse that said my Pap was normal. When i asked about the other blood test results, I was told it appeared everythign was in normal limits, if there was a need the doctor would call me. I'm a breast cancer survivor and the total lack of disregard by this doctor was appalling. I've requested my records so I can seek out another health care provider as a result of this experience.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2009

We were told that I had miscarried our pregnancy or had an ectopic pregnancy based on an external ultrasound. We were then told to wait more than a week to retest my blood levels and another external ultrasound to make the diagnosis. We were refused an internal ultrasound or further testing in the meantime and my 3 phone messages to get clarity were not returned. Fearing an ectopic pregnancy and the results, we went to the ER where they immediately did an internal ultrasound to reveal a live embryo with a heart beat!!!! We will not be returning to this office and I will not be recommended them to anyone!

flag | Submitted July 5, 2008

Dr. Mia L. VANEKEN's Credentials

• Philadelphia College Of Osteopathic Medicine (Grad. 1997)