Dr. Emun Abdu

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Emun Abdu

Dr. Abdu is an excellent doctor, she listens and listens very well, then she recommends a type of treatment best for the patient. She is the type of greatest doc I have ever experience. Thank you again Dr. Abdu

flag | Submitted January 2, 2019

Dr. Abdu saved my wife. She performed an emergency SAH surgery on 30 Apr 2017 and, an additional aneurysm clip on 7 Aug 2017. Due to the location and configuration of these aneurysms, the surgeries were both very complex, with high risk for paralysis in both cases. They were eight and seven hours in length, respectively. After the first surgery, we had planned to do the needed, second one, in Dec 2017; however, Dr. Abdu’s office notified us that she would be ending her active care in Tucson at the end of June, to prepare for her move to Washington. When my wife saw this she was inconsolable. We weren’t even due for a follow up until 27 Jul. At that follow up, not only did Dr. Abdu agree to do the second surgery (she had already stopped doing surgeries) but she submitted the referral to our insurance company before we left her office. Against all odds, the referral was approved in three days (three weeks is normal) and a very difficult, but successful aneurysm clip was performed on 7 Aug. My wife spent one day in ICU, and then returned home on 10 Aug. Dr. Adbu’s credentials and skills are well known and documented, but there’s more than and skills at work here. She’s been blessed, and we’ve been blessed to know her. We both love Dr. Abdu, and we’ll keep her in our daily prayers as long as we’re able to pray.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2017

This doctor saved my life this year after having a burst aneurysm. I was very lucky to get her as my doctor, and am eternally grateful for her masterful work.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2017

We were very blessed to have her, the best. She is moving to seattle, wa. and We would go there for Doctoring.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

I cannot express how grateful and lucky we are to have such an experienced and knowledgeable Doctor!! Hats off to you!! Dr Abdu and your wonderful staff!!

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Dr. Abdu did an excellent job on my brain anurism. She is a beautiful person who cares for her patients. She was my angel sent from heaven.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2017

On February 2, 2017 Dr. Abdu performed a coiling procedure on my 8x10mm A1 segment unruptured fusiform-appearing brain aneurysm. I had known since 2011 that I had a brain aneurysm but it quadrupled in size between 2013 and 2016 and required treatment. I had a lot of questions prior to the procedure and did a lot of online research and reading. Dr. Abdu provided me with a very informative brochure written by the brain aneurysm foundation and was patient with me and answered all my questions. Dr. Abdu is capable of performing both clipping and coiling procedures and we decided on coiling for mine--a one night stay in NCIU and then home. Also I am a (youthful) 71 year old single woman and the coiling procedure fit my lifestyle better than clipping. I know it was a challenging procedure and am grateful I had the knowledge and skill of Dr. Abdu. Because the aneurysm was practically square--no neck--she used an LVIS stent across the artery to keep the coils in place. LVIS stents are highly rated and I consider them the best. If you are in need of a neurosurgeon, there is no need to go to Phoenix. The best neurosurgeon in Arizona is in Tucson and is Dr. Abdu.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

My mother suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Dr. Abdu performed a craniotomy, and saved my mother's life. Her professionalism and interest in my mother's health is nothing less than exceptional!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Had terrible nerve pain down leg, Dr. Abdu performed surgery on back and fixed it.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

Dr. Abdu was sent by god to treat my aneurysm. She performed three brain surgeries. She was very informative to me and my family. I feel she saved my life and helped restore it. She is very competent, skilled and compassionate. We were very blessed to have Dr. Abdu perform the surgeries. Thank you, Dr. Abdu from myself and my family. -R.O

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

Dr. Emun Abdu's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Abdu joined Western Neurosurgery in May 2013. She received her medical degree at the University of Michigan in 2004. She then completed neurosurgical training at Oregon Health and Sciences University. Following this, she did a 2 year combined open microvascular and endovascular fellowship training at Swedish Neurosciences Institute in Seattle, WA. In addition to providing general neurosurgical services, Dr. Abdu is one of very few neurosurgeons in the U.S. with a unique skill set to provide patients an option for traditional surgical or minimally‐invasive endovascular treatment. This allows Dr. Abdu to provide a “one‐stop-shop” for patients with a variety of neurovascular diseases such as brain aneurysms. She covers St. Joseph’s hospital emergency room both for Neurosurgery and Neuroendovascular services for acute stroke. Successful outcomes are dependent on a multidisciplinary team approach with cooperation between several medical specialties. Dr. Abdu works very closely with neurologists, neuroradiologists and other clinical subspecialists to deliver comprehensive methods of treatment that are tailored based on the patient's condition. When a patient receives any type of neurological diagnosis, it can be very difficult on the patient and their family. Dr. Abdu is not only focused on the technical aspects of neurosurgery, but also strives to create a unique level of trust and comfort with her patients. She often encourages her patients to bring their family members into the conversation about diagnosis and treatment options. Dr. Abdu is a board member of American Heart and Stoke Association-Tucson, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Society of Neurointerventional Surgery, Women In Neurological Surgery, and Ethiopian North American Medical Society.

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 2004)

• Brain aneurysm