Ratings for Dr. Patrick Zaidel

My mother had spent 3 weeks in Burnaby Hospital last January with Congestive Heart Failure. When released she was referred to Dr. Zaidel for on going care. Our first visit was in May and he checked her out and because she was taking 80ml water pill all was well . Three months later this August we saw him again. Taking water pills is hard on the kidneys so blood tests are done regularly. He said there was some kidney damage but did not specify how bad. He then decided to lower the water pill to 40ml and cut out one of the heart meds all together. I was surprised but he is the Specialist. He then said that we could see her GP from now on as he would be advising him. A week later we get a call from GP to come in Dr. Zaidel has advised him to lower water pill to 20 ml and cut out Cholesterol Pill also. Who am I to argue with a Dr. Needless to say not even a week later Mom was in trouble full of Congestion and getting weaker GP upped the water pill back to 80ml and at this time he told me he had his reservations about lowering it that much but this came from a Specialist. Needless to say it was to late and she was in Hospital again. The emergency Dr. after seeing the blood work said if he had to choose between some kidney damage and heart failure in someone 91 he would treat heart which he did by getting the congestion under control and putting her back on heart med Dr. Zaidel had removed. After a week in Hospital she was released stable at 40 ml but I feel it was too soon as she could hardly walk and was very weak so not long enough to see full results. A week later everything fell apart and GP upped to 60ml . Too late she was so congested and weak I took her back to Hospital to be told she was dying which she did .last month. Yes she was 91 years old and her heart was failing but anyone can tell you she was doing fine before August as she lived in assisted living and did not need much assistance. She took a fall in July and was black and blue but with no repercussions. I feel that Dr. Zaidel HASTENED HER DEATH and by the reactions of the other Dr's to her treatment I know I am right. Her heart was failing but she was not on death's doorstep until he messed with the meds. I also did not find him very personable. Arrogant might be too strong a word but I get the feeling he thinks he knows it all. Also it lists him as a Geriatric Dr. Mom was quite deaf and he did not even try to talk to her and come to think of it he never smiled very deadpan not the type to be treating the elderly . So beware!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2015

After multiple other tests, I was in Emergency at Burnaby General en route to getting an angiogram, when Dr. Zaidel, on duty in the ER that day, through a test he had ordered, found that my problem was too high a dose of Synthroid. It was causing many of my symptoms. All it took to put me right was a lower dose of Synthroid...can't thank him enough. I did not deal with his staff nor his punctuality (but these fields require filling in), but re helpful and knowledgeable, I give him a 5+

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

Dr. Zaidel was polite, knowledgable and personable. I had a bit of a runaround at the hospital, so i was almost 30 mins late for the appt, and Dr. Zaidel was totally understanding and proceeded with the consult. The appointment clarified all concerns i had. He was willing to explain and make sure i understood the intended surgical procedure, and possible side effects. I thank him for his expertise and his understanding of my tardiness. The poor rating for staff, was the hospital admissions staff(which was why i was late, and not his staff. He didn't have staff!

flag | Submitted May 14, 2013

Dr. Patrick Zaidel's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

MSP/BC Med