Ratings for Dr. Julia Charkey-Papp

We have found Dr Charkey-Papp to be wonderful. She is warm and caring and incredibly knowledgeable, Can't recommend her enough.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2018

Would not recommend this Doctor at all. Extremely unprofessional and treats her patients as another figure on her income statement.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

I have been seeing Julia for 3 years. I have never met a doctor so compassionate, knowledgeable AND dedicated in my life! After seeing countless therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists Julia gave me the diagnosis that truly changed my life. Everything made perfect sense after that, although it was extremely hard to swallow at first. But Julia was ever so patient and lent me copious books, recommended awesome movies and shows to understand my condition better. After struggling throughout childhood and always feeling different I finally was able to understand myself and why my brain does the things it does. Throughout my therapy lessons my eyes were opened - I learnt something new every time and I have actually come to LOVE and feel proud of the myself! Which is inconceivable after many years of self-hatred. The most important thing Julia taught me was self-compassion and to be kind to myself. I learnt it’s ok to have fun and treat myself without guilt, it’s ok to say ‘no’ to people, it’s ok not to be perfect, happy and fully-functioning constantly. Since I became I’m aware of my condition I can now handle my feelings better and look after myself better to prevent breakdowns and stress. Julia taught me about my brain, I learnt to change my negative habits that were making me unhappy and actually LIVE my life instead of being afraid all the time, which I’m so grateful for. Sometimes I can’t even remember how hard it was before because now it’s so easy. When I don’t understand something, Julia is patient and explains it until I do. When I’m sad for no reason Julia says my feelings are valid and helps me feel better. When I talk to Julia she listens and remembers everything I say and asks me about my issues many weeks later, it’s truly unbelievable! Julia even allowed my parents to come to the appointment and explained everything so they could understand me better and that has made my life a lot easier. Although, I am ‘recovered’ and my life has completely turned around I keep up my appointments because talking to Julia gives me the clarity and the hope I need to stay positive in life. Julia believed in me entirely when no one else did. I don’t know where I would be without her, she genuinely saved my life. She invested 110% in my recovery, and I can’t ever thank her enough for everything she has done for me over the years. All the encouragement, wisdom and empathy. I attribute all my success to Julia, all I needed was someone to believe I could get better and she did all that and more.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

I saw this psychiatrist many years ago and still trying to undo the damage she has done

flag | Submitted March 13, 2018

Julia appears to be a kind, empathetic and professional psychiatrist. And at first she is. She prescribes an awful lot of medications, which helped at first. Her follow up manner depends on her current mood as does her fee schedule. Narcissm does seem to describe her personality, if you enjoy walking on eggshells around your health care provider then look no further. Her staff are borderline rude and I can't help but blame working for someone like Julia for a lot of that.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2018

Don't see her. Just don't see her. No matter how desperate you are. Wait to see someone else.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

Dr Charkey-Papp has been treating my daughter for a variety of mental health issues, she has not be admitted so have only seen her in the consulting rooms. I have been very impressed that Julia has not handed over medication, her approach is well thought through and includes CBT, the consultations ar enot rushed and Julia hasn't made us feel as though we are wasting her time. I would say she is kind, considered and professional - she also understands teenagers, which has been excellent.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

If I could rate Julia 0 stars I would. Her treatment worsened my condition dramatically through her over prescription of medication and her completely negligent practices. She displayed some of the most strange, erratic behaviour I've seen from a 'professional'. She discharged me with no notice and handed me a shopping bag full of medication knowing I was in a bad way. The irony of the situation is if I was still under her 'care' I wouldn't still be alive.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

My experience with Dr. Julia Charkey-Papp is not a good one. She lacks communication skills and this only becomes apparent much later on in your treatment. She has many other pitfalls such as overprescribing medication and manipulative treatment strategies. She encouraged my admittance to Perth Clinic and during my hospitalisation there I found many of her other patients say similar things. I'm much happier with my treatment now that I'm seeking help from a new psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

I can't believe she is still practising! Dreadful psychiatrist, just prescribes handfuls of drugs, yells at patients, behaves very badly.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017