Ratings for Dr. Julia Charkey-Papp

Don't see her. Just don't see her. No matter how desperate you are. Wait to see someone else.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

J.C.P appears to be helpful at start of treatment, but as time goes on it becomes more clear that she is incredibly narcissistic, unprofessional and inappropriate. I ceased contact with her when she verbally abused me over the phone from one of the nurses stations at Perth Clinic. Two nurses heard her and put in formal complaints, as did my mother as I was too traumatised. She regularly breached her ethics by buying me presents, and spent much of my appointments talking about her three children. She also regularly spoke to me about a couple of her other patients whom I also knew, thus breaching their confidentiality. She actively discouraged me from having my family involved in my treatment as a 19 year old, going as far as admitting me to Perth Clinic to break me away from my family. This only created reliance on inpatient admissions, which as a result happened on a regular basis for a period of 4 years. Julia now has such an awful reputation, and has had so many complaints made about her at Perth Clinic that the management there have strongly discouraged her from seeing her patients in there. Instead her admitted patients are sent with their inpatient medication charts to see her in her consulting rooms next door. No other admitting doctors do this, and unfortunately as she is a private practitioner, they are unable to ban her. This is an objective review from someone who has had 5 years of treatment from another psychiatrist since seeing Julia, and has now experienced what a healthy Doctor- patient relationship should look like. It took me two years to agree to setting foot in Perth Clinic for fear of seeing her, and four years to stop panicking every time I saw a mop of blonde hair anywhere I went. I recently bumped in to her at Perth Clinic, I politely smiled and said hi as I walked past her, to which she looked me up and down with an expression of disgust and sniggered as if I was worth nothing. It is incredibly concerning how many young people have had such similar experiences to mine, so many that it cannot be called a coincidence. Julia seems great at the start, but as time goes on please be aware of what may happen, and don't be afraid to leave her, like I was. No doctor should make you panic every time you have to see them, and no doctor should do such outrageous things. Please be careful.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2017

Dr Charkey-Papp has been treating my daughter for a variety of mental health issues, she has not be admitted so have only seen her in the consulting rooms. I have been very impressed that Julia has not handed over medication, her approach is well thought through and includes CBT, the consultations ar enot rushed and Julia hasn't made us feel as though we are wasting her time. I would say she is kind, considered and professional - she also understands teenagers, which has been excellent.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

If I could rate Julia 0 stars I would. Her treatment worsened my condition dramatically through her over prescription of medication and her completely negligent practices. She displayed some of the most strange, erratic behaviour I've seen from a 'professional'. She discharged me with no notice and handed me a shopping bag full of medication knowing I was in a bad way. The irony of the situation is if I was still under her 'care' I wouldn't still be alive.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

My experience with Dr. Julia Charkey-Papp is not a good one. She lacks communication skills and this only becomes apparent much later on in your treatment. She has many other pitfalls such as overprescribing medication and manipulative treatment strategies. She encouraged my admittance to Perth Clinic and during my hospitalisation there I found many of her other patients say similar things. I'm much happier with my treatment now that I'm seeking help from a new psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

I can't believe she is still practising! Dreadful psychiatrist, just prescribes handfuls of drugs, yells at patients, behaves very badly.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

Pleasant, but seemingly has only one trick for ADHD teen and when that doesn't work ...

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

self absorbed over prescribes medication. over prescribes way too much medication with out explaining the dangers of meds.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2017

Dr Charkey-Papp seems quite unwell, major mood swings, very angry, yells. Probably needs to see a psychiatrist, rather than continue to practice.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2017

Clearly Julia has been getting friends and family to write good reviews lately or is writing them herself as she hasn't changed one bit since all the bad reviews. She is one of the most narcissistic and dangerous people I've ever met. She is totally self absorbed and ego driven and uses teenagers particularly as her pawns as they are vulnerable and it is easy for her to portray them as liars. Stay away from this evil woman and don't believe these fake reviews.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017