Ratings for Dr. Chuck Lortie

Had an extremely confusing experience with this doctor. I went in to have a large mole examined that was showing some odd signs (growing, changing in colour). A resident saw me first, said that based on what she saw it didn't really appear to be much of a concern, and that we could remove it or they could just book me in for a follow up appointment to monitor it. I said I would prefer to just monitor it if it didn't seem to be a concern. She then left to discuss this with Dr Lortie, who came in, looked at it, said it was probably fine but that we should probably take it off. I responded that I would prefer not to have it removed if it didn't seem to be dangerous, and he reiterated that it was my choice but he recommended taking it off. He said that it would probably give me some peace of mind (which there is some wisdom to, I tend to be hypervigilant about my health) and that they could biopsy it to tell me exactly what was going on, which was appealing. But then reiterated that it looked benign anyways. I expressed concern at the risk of scarring with these types of procedures, since the mole was rather large, in a visible place, and other than the strange signs I was noticing had never much bothered me, however this was scoffed at and not discussed beyond him asking "have you ever seriously scarred before?". Every concern I raised was kind of met with a bit of a scoffing attitude - I didn't feel listened to. And he was very insistent on my having the procedure done without offering much of an explanation as to why he thought it was the right course of action for me. I eventually agreed to the procedure, thinking that if nothing else I would have some peace of mind and not be constantly looking at the mole scrutinizing it for changes, however when I changed the bandage over the removal site all of my concerns surrounding scarring came rushing back. The excision site is very large and very visible in most clothing I wear. I just got off the phone with a nurse at the clinic who said that she had a similar procedure done and it's taken close to a year for her scarring to start fading, and that there's neither much of a way to predict whether I will scar from this as well and simultaneously not much I can do to prevent scarring at this point. So at the present moment this is my reality - there is a large hole in my chest that I'm feeling super self conscious about in place of a mole that wasn't much bothering me and that by his own admission he did not think was a serious problem, and a real chance that it might visibly scar that way. Overall, I feel like I was recommended to undergo a procedure for no compelling reason and with no discussion of the very real potential aftereffects. I'm quite confused and upset by this experience.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

Thorough, good positive manner, friendly and efficient.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2017

I was "rushed" into surgery for basal cel carcenoma on my face. I was not prepared for the amount of scarring that I am now living with. I refused surgery for another spot of basal cel and I haven't heard from the good doc since Very disappointed that he seems to be in it for the money! Get a second opinion!!!!

Submitted September 6, 2017

Always VERY LATE, service is thorough In my opinion. But being so late makes me feel like he thinks my time isn't as important as his. Have waited up to a hour plus past our scheduled appointment

flag | Submitted August 31, 2017

Missed an appointment was charged $50 and not even asked why, I will find another doctor

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

I was very disappointed with this appointment. He got called out of my appointment for a phone call, didn't exam my eye, showed me pictures on the internet and sent me off with a prescription.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016