Ratings for Dr. Lancelot Brown

I never leave reviews about anything, but I felt the need to leave a review here in the hope that I can help prevent anyone else from going through what I did (and see by reading many of the other reviews here that I am not alone in my extremely negative experience with this dentist). I, like many others leaving reviews here, was asked to pay thousands of dollars for the many, many cavities that he told me I needed to fix. When I changed dentists, the next dentist I went to said that many of the "cavities" Dr. Brown had said I needed to fix where actually not something that he would consider as issues that needed to be filled. Besides the fact that Dr. Brown was charging for and performing fillings that actually didn't need to be done, he also performed cosmetic procedures on my front teeth without asking me or telling me that he was going to do this. I had booked a routine appointment to get cavities filled only. When I got there he left me alone with his assistant, he then re entered the room and asked if I knew what he was going to do that day. I said yes, assuming that it was just the cavity fillings that he was going to do since that is the only thing I had booked that appointment for. He then proceeded to do not only fillings but also filed one of my front teeth that had a minor chip in it (a chip that had never bothered me and that I had never asked him to fix). When his assistant made a mistake and a larger chunk of this tooth flew off to the side, Dr. Brown attempted to "fix" the mistake by filing my very front tooth on an angle to match the new angle of the tooth right beside it. So, I left his office with cosmetic work on my front teeth that I did not ask for. Again, I had booked the appointment for only routine cavity fillings. I also know that there was zero possibility in a miscommunication between his secretary or anyone else about what I had asked for because I would have never asked for him to file my front teeth or work on the tooth that was a bit chipped, as my teeth were previously (before leaving Dr. Brown's office that day) one of the things I liked best about my appearance (even with a slight chip in one of my teeth). After leaving Dr.Brown's office with a new slanted smile (those years of braces that had led to a straight smile gone out the window), I had to adjust to a new slanted smile and new crooked/diagonal look. It took an emotional toll on me. I advise if you don't want to receive surprise cosmetic dentistry on a routine visit for a cavity without the dentist telling you that he will be doing this or asking you about what he plans to do to your face cosmetically, and if you enjoy the look of your teeth and smile as they are, then steer clear of this dentist. I had and currently do not have the amount of money that it would take to attempt to fix the errors that he created (and it is something that would not be easily fixed as well). My new dentist (after I asked him to) tried to file down the tooth beside Dr. Brown's mistake in order to slightly improve the look of it. My new dentist made note of the fact that my "new look"/slanted diagonal front teeth was noticeably created via a dentist's filing rather than a fall or anything else. My new dentist also noted that the amount of cavities I actually needed to fill was a couple hundred dollars worth of cavities rather than the thousands of dollars worth of cavities quoted to me by Dr. Brown. I hope that someone reading all of these reviews about Dr. Brown will run the other way rather than go through the incompetence and financial gouging that I went through. If you like the appearance of your smile at all and value it as it is, I would run the other way as well.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2019

I agree with the bad reviews. I had never had a cavity before and was told by Dr. Brown that I had numerous cavities (8) which needed to be filled. I agreed with this plan as I did not know any better but still believe that I underwent unecessary procedures for someone else’s financial gain. This experience happened many years ago, but since I have had only one cavity and my current dentist who knew my teeth prior to my experience with Dr. Brown is doubtful that these fillings were truely indicated. I am currently a practicing medical doctor and looking back on this experience which happened over 10 years ago I really do believe that I was made subject of innapropriate and deleterious dental care.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2018

I highly recommend Dr. Brown. My kids are seeing Dr. Brown for their dental care, and it has been great. They actually ask when can they go for their next appointment. I never heard of kids asking to go to dentist before. Then I had to have a molar extracted. And after consulting a few other dentists I chose Dr. Brown for extraction and putting the implant with the crown. It was a very good decision. I highly recommend this clinic for complicated dental procedure.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

Dr. Brown and his staff have been providing dental care to me and my family for the past 10 years. Over that time, we have had nothing but positive experiences. My satisfaction with his professionalism, the ambiance of the clinic and the exemplary level of service that we consistently receive, has allowed me to refer many of my colleagues without fear or reservation. In turn, they have expressed their satisfaction and have thanked me on numerous occasions for making the referral. Whether interacting with the receptionist, a hygienist or Dr. Brown himself, I always feel genuinely welcome, not simply as a patient but more importantly as a person. The excellent service that my family and I have consistently received, underscores the professionalism of Dr. Brown and his staff. While there are many who despise dental visits in general, I always look forward with great anticipation to my dental appointments with Dr. Brown and his outstanding staff based on the aforementioned. I was therefore troubled by the negative comments on this site and felt compelled to document my own experience. In fact, I've had to do a double take to ensure that the doctor being reviewed was the same one that I have known for so long. It is not my intention to deny the experience of others however, it seems to me that what the writers experienced was an anomaly – a deviation from the established norm if you will. Instead of publicly sullying the reputation of an outstanding medical professional and that of his staff, I believe that having a conversation with Dr. Brown would have given him an opportunity to rectify the issue to your mutual satisfaction. Let us not be so quick to tear good people down, It was Othello who said: “…Who steals my purse steals trash…But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which enriches him not, And makes me poor indeed.” ― William Shakespeare, Othello

flag | Submitted October 3, 2017

Mixed feelings. I once thought he was a very good dentist but I think there is something about working too long in an expensive neighbourhood like Yorkville that makes maniacs out of people. He was always amazing with pain management, delivering needles 100% pain free. Then one day, I went to have a tooth pulled and he was a bit aggressive in promoting the laughing gas. I didn't want to take it and he used a bit of persuasion on my saying the roots of the teeth were deep...though I had had the tooth out on the opposite side without any problem so it is impossible to know whether he was being genuine or whether he was just eager to paid for the laughing gas. Impossible to know, except when I refused it he administered the novocaine quite painfully, despite all of the other times that it was indeed pain free as he advertised years ago. Following the abrupt injection I asked for the laughing gas because I was afraid he was being reactive. As soon as I agreed to the laughing gas he seemed relaxed again. I didn't trust him after that. I also had a bad experience with a hygienist who warned me I should see the oral surgeon they recommended because problems can become life threatening. I told her I was well aware as my friend had just died of adenoidal carcinoma. Just found the office to be increasingly about sales and less about substance. And I am sure a lot of that comes from the pressure to maintain a business in such an expensive area. I had some very good moments in Dr.Brown's care, they just seemed to occur less frequently with each visit.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2016

Dr. Brown showed the utmost in compassion and commitment when he reached out to help our young son one fateful evening . He was involved in a sporting accident that had left him with a serious injury involving his teeth. He cancelled his plans to care for our son (a perfect stranger) and performed emergency surgery after hours at his clinic. Earlier that evening there would be no way to know the trauma our son would face. Dr. Brown rescued him that night with his calm caring demeanor, his impeccable skill and professionalism. We knew he was in the best care he could possibly have. Words cannot express our gratitude. This incredible act of kindness is an experience that only happens once in a lifetime. One can only be so fortunate. We will never forget his immense kindness. If we could rate him 100 we would!

flag | Submitted July 1, 2015

We were extremely fortunate to have found Dr. Brown ten years ago, and we have been patients ever since. Over those ten years, we have had many procedures done aside from the scheduled cleanings; fillings, wisdom teeth extractions, root canals, crowns and bonding. His work is meticulous. He ensures that you don’t experience pain. The office is beautiful (and he plays great music!), it’s easy to access and his office staff and his hygienists are terrific. Dr. Brown is the consummate professional, yet he is very warm and caring. He is the best dentist we have ever had and we recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2014

This was the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a health care practitioner. He did too much at once, I told him I was uncomfortable with 5 fillings in one sitting but he talked me into it. A few days later I was back in his office for a root canal on one of the teeth he worked on, as one of the teeth remained hollowed out when I left his office the previous visit. It was the start of years of problems. Aside from pain, loss of money, trauma from the experience, I had to have all of the teeth he worked on, extracted. Please, steer clear.

Submitted May 19, 2014

Wonderful office!! I got my porcelain crown done in the office in less then an hour and half. My old dentist told me I would have to wait 5-7 business days and wear a temporary crown before my porcelain crown would be back from the lab! I went to Dr. Brown's office and they have this amazing system that makes the crown right in the office. It was easy and painless. I would highly recommend Dr.Brown's office to anyone that wants great dentistry without wasting your time. I must also add that Dr. Brown and all of his staff are super nice and very caring for patients. I moved my whole family to Dr. Brown's office, SO I HIGHLY DISAGREE WITH THE BAD REVIEW ON RATEMDS. Maybe this person was talking about another Dr. Brown, surely not the Dr. Brown that me and my family now see.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2014

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a dentist, He botched my dental implants and added an extra immplant I had not requested in a spot he could then not mount a tooth. I have had an implant cap protruding at the back of my mouth for three years! Best to be avoided, seems like he was only out to milk me for as much money as he could. I am not seeing another specialist to look at the mistakes he made and it wioll cost me a great deal to have this relpaced. I was ready to sue after my dental surgery with Dr Brown. Avoid at all costs

flag | Submitted September 3, 2013