Ratings for Dr. Shawn V. Macdonald

Dr Mac Donald has been a source of support thru many life changes. she is able to push me forward when I am stuck.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

I am writing this review as another psychologist and professional colleague. I respect her clinical skills and she is a go-to referral for people who are dealing w complex or longstanding challenges, especially related to trauma. She has been able to help people who have not made progress with other providers. I also especially recommend her to transgender people and partners and family of transgender people for individual or couples therapy.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

I had to move out of the area and I am going to miss seeing Dr. MacDonald. She hung with me through the rough times, helped me find myself and my strength, and gently pushed me forward. She works with people with difficult depression and other tough problems, I have to wonder if that is why some people left negative reviews. For me working with her put an end to a long stream of hospitalizations and difficult struggles.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

I really like working with Dr. MacDonald. She is the the of therapist who really interacts with you and talks as well as listens. I find her very caring and perceptive. I rated the staff a 5, but really there is no staff but her, you aren't dealing with front desk people or secretaries.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2015

Dr. MacDonald is the most insightful therapist I have seen, and I have seen several. She really took the time to get to know me and helped me to overcome a years long depression.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2015

In my experience with her, Dr. MacDonald turned out to be a cold, and uncaring psychotherapist. It seemed that she lacks a basic understanding of the need for compassion and responsibility that comes with this kind of profession. While I found her likeable and seemingly interested in me and my problems at first, I found her to be dishonest and ended my therapy. Please think twice before consulting this therapist.

Submitted November 24, 2014

I saw her for one consultation back in August 2012, after I had been trying to land a mental health professional for a few months - a lot of them don't take insurance. She had a pretty full schedule so it was hard to get an appointment. I explained I was home with two young kids and she suggested if I was serious I could just get a babysitter - like I'm rolling in it for the co-pay and the babysitting fees. Then after the one appointment she again chided my seeming lack of availability. I pointed out that her schedule was pretty booked, too, to which she replied in a nasty tone of voice that it just wasn't going to work out for us. I got the sense that she had some prior issues with patients not keeping appointments and was looking under rocks for patients' prospective flakiness. She struck me as passive-aggressive and more in need of healing herself than able to heal others. By the way I had to fill in a rating for staff but I don't' really really recall any.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2013