Ratings for Dr. Sonia S. Yoon

Dr. Yoon was absolutely no help with my severe digestive problem. When I saw her I had been suffering for months, could barely eat, and had lost 10 percent of my body weight. At one appointment her very first statement to me was "your fingernails are really long. Do you play guitar?" That shows a complete disconnect from me as a patient, who she knew was suffering immensely. At one point she did not seem to have any ideas, so I suggested an obvious non-invasive test and she agreed - then started rattling off lots of other possible tests. She did not call me back promptly when I needed help. And one time she called me out of the blue 10 days after my appointment to review matters that we could easily have discussed in person - she blamed it on not having computer access during my appointment. So why wait 10 days? Very strange. She knows about medical tests and procedures, but I question her knowledge about basic gut health. For example, she asked me "why are you taking a glutamine supplement?" Because glutamine is proven to be important for healthy intestinal integrity. I learned that in an undergrad nutrition course. I would never go to this practitioner again, despite her affiliation with an excellent hospital. Her assistant Maritza is completely incompetent and only returns calls when she feels like it. Her non-responsiveness resulted in a delay in scheduling a medical test. Finally, the staff said they would not accept my health insurance so I did not bother to get a referral and paid out-of-pocket (very expensive). I found out later that they in fact billed my insurance company for my appointments! I could have been covered if I had gotten a referral! I realize now that they wanted me to pay out-of-pocket because they want to get more money than the low insurance reimbursement rates. Extremely unethical!

flag | Submitted December 28, 2015

Informative, kind and caring. I liked how I was treated by Dr Yoon and the staff before the endoscopy. I woke up as if nothing happened. I wasn't groggy.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015