Ratings for Dr. Tamara Cheney

I rated the staff a 1 only so Dr Cheney would receive the lowest rating possible. This Dr nearly cost me my life back in 2001! She misdiagnosed me as having irritable bowel and refused to give a referral to a specialist. She finally agreed to referring for a colonoscopy but refused to make it an urgent request when I was told it would be three weeks. When I got angry she said I had an HMO and you get what you pay for!!! She told me it was in my head--if I would relax and eat normal the problem would go away. 2 days after that comment I was in the hospital With a 100% bowel blockage and a tumor. It took them 2 days to stabilize me before they could operate because my potassium levels were so low and I was severely dehydrated. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital fighting infection and recovering from surgery. The tumor could not have been avoided but the lack of treatment when I had been seeing her for weeks--10 days without eliminating goes beyond poor care!!!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2015

I have come in several times because I have sever pain in my muscles, I found out the doctor is out on vacation today and even though I put my request in this morning they still have not approved it. The woman on the phone cut me off several times and was extremely rude. When I asked if it would be approved by the end of the day and she sarcastically responded with "yes, that's the goal" I tried to tell her I was in an extreme amount of pain but she still continued to ignore me and when I did see the doctor she was short the wait times were long and she never listens to me about my problems, she just cuts me off and doesn't seem to care. I will never go back!

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

I'm always on time for my appointments and I always wait 50 minutes to be seen! Ill never go back again!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2013

About 14 years ago I chose Dr. Tamara Cheney for my family physician based on her approach, treatment and follow up. After all these years, Dr. Cheney is still my family’s doctor and I cannot be happier. Every time I visit her I get all the attention, information, care and follow up. She has been the most dedicated doctor I have ever known. If you are looking for a no nonsense doctor – she is the one! However, you need to know one thing about her. If there is someone in the waiting room without an appointment but very sick and in need of urgent care – Dr. Cheney will take this person and … you will wait a little bit longer. One time I waited about 45 minutes but then I learned that Dr. Cheney was taking care of a very sick little girl. Since then, I understand the wait and knowing that someone who needs the doctor more urgently than I do gets taken care of. I really prefer it this way because someday I might be in that person needing special care.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2011

Dr. Cheney gave me a pelvic when I was 18 years old. I almost passed out on the table right after she inserted the speculum because she did it so aggressively. My face became clammy, my hearing lapsed and I could barely breathe. She noticed I tensed and said, "What's wrong? Aren't you sexually active?" I could barely breathe my response to her, "No..." I am now 36 years old. I have vaginismus. I have no idea whether I got it from that incident, or if I had it before and her aggressive pap smear just made it worse. I also went to her because I thought I had mono. She came in and literally spent five minutes, if that, with me. She asked me what was wrong. I told her I thought I had mono. She released an annoyed sign and asked me why I think I have mono. She felt my glands and said, "No. The wrong glands are swollen for it to be mono. Come back in three months if your glands are still swollen." I was back the next day and saw a different doctor who told me I had acute mono.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

I have been going to Dr. Cheney for years and wouldn't dream of switching doctors.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2009

She performed the most painful and aggressive pap smear I have ever experienced (I am in my late 20s and am accustomed to gynecological exams, etc). It actually hurt as she was doing it and at the end, I felt like I was violated. Awful.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2008

Dr. Tamara Cheney's Credentials

• Univ Of Sydney, Fac Of Med, Sydney, Nsw, Australia (Grad. 1981)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal