Ratings for Dr. Martin Shoemaker

I went to "Dr. Shoe" to explore a career change of direction. I filled in 4 psychometric tests and had a few interviews with him, then we set up a 'think tank' of some close friends who I felt knew me well enough to speak honestly about my skills and weaknesses. We convened for a full day of discussion where Dr. Shoemaker also attended to reveal with the testing and interviews showed about me, but he did this only after my friends had expressed their thoughts. It was interesting to see how his clinical approach and my informal-friend approach lined up and at the end of the day I had a list of potential fields that aligned with my personality and which friends felt I might do well in. I took the list away and went to the next step of investigating those jobs/fields to see which one might work out. Today I am doing one of the jobs that Dr. Shoe had on his list, and living in the area I want with the lifestyle I wanted to put in place. His approach was very comfortable, informal, friendly, and I appreciated that. I like that he has a theological background but is firmly planted in life on earth.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

I saw Dr. Shoemaker for career counselling and he was fabulous. He helped my make a significant change and was very thorough and professional. I would recommend him for any of his services. He has been practicing for over 35 years and only sees a select group of clients. In my opinion if you are able to see him you will not be disappointed.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2014

He did a thorough assessment, taking lots of tests etc., made a diagnosis. Very old-school and old-fashioned. He made a diagnosis from one session and said if he was to see me, he wanted to speak with my previous psychologist. I have never heard of this before and felt he didn't believe what I said. He was very nice but rather uncomfortable with some things I brought up. He decided not to see me and gave me some names. I think it would have been appropriate to actually see me a few times before making a quick diagnosis. I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2013