Ratings for Dr. Richard Ayling

I visited Dr Ayling as a last resort to not being able to go to my usual doctor, due to last minute family crisis. He did not know his stuff with a certain prescription that I know for a fact is used to treat panic disorders, PTSD, anxiety, depression (which antidepressants aren't often enough on their own). Particularly after a traumatic life event or experience (or something that triggers this). I know this because my usual prescribing doctor is a qualified G.P. and Psychiatrist. I believe because of the area the medical centre is located (lower/working class) that he judged me as soon as I entered his office as a drug seeker/addict. He kept stammering about the script I desperately needed (essentially so I don't have panic attacks, PTSD from a recent sexual assault & defer from suicide as my depression insists upon) oh & I forgot my newly diagnosed breast cancer. He didn't blink when I mentioned just two of these, didn't ask further questions about my anxiety or trauma/PTSD, but was more concerned about prescribing a what he called "off licence" script. Meaning that what it says it's supposed to be used for is epilepsy. If he did his homework, he would find there are multiple purposes for prescribing the much needed medication (including almost all of the issues and debilitating conditions that I have). He had one medical search engine & looked no further, even when I was at the point of tears, petrified that I would have a panic attack or a flashback from PTSD, that would cause me to do harm to myself. Which is why I was there - I needed help. When I then asked him if he had another drug that would help. He flat out said to increase my antidepressants (which my usual G.P. said not to do) and take a half a restavit??! He kept referring back to the time I had been there before for the same script 5 years ago. Which the only notes according to Dr Ayling, were that I was needing the prescription for just sleep. I kept trying to explain that that was only a small issue compared to the ones I was desperately trying to convey. Whether they had lost the rest of my notes (where I again stated anxiety/panic/my mother dying after nursing her through six years of breast cancer) from my previous consultation, or whether Dr Ayling was fixated on using any excuse not to prescribe something that had recently been in the media. The government had sent letters to 4000 GP's warning them of losing their licence for overprescribing opiates & benzodiazepines (but anyone can go out and kill themselves with alcohol, cigarettes, fast food, illicit drugs. God forbid someone get actual relief from a pharmaceutical product that is being stigmatised by a group of people who are not medical or healthcare professionals, because a handful of bad eggs that have ruined it for the majority of legitimate prescribers and patients with real, genuine issues. But my anxiety was misread as drug seeking behaviour & from that moment he refused to hear anything that came out of my mouth (all legitimate, and backed by a dated, empty pill bottle with my usual prescribers name - whom he could have rung)...I've never felt more judged, less cared for/unimportant & overlooked by a medical "professional"

flag | Submitted June 26, 2018

Such a caring man! Takes a bit of time to get to know but once you do he is so kind and a very amazing and thoughtful doctor. Always has a quick resolution to everything

flag | Submitted April 30, 2018

Dr Ayling is a very knowledgeable doctor. He runs a bit behind time but only because he spends so much time with each patient. There are 4 other doctors at this practice and the others all seem to run on time. I would definitely go back to see Dr Ayling and if he wasn't available I would see one of the other doctors - they all seem very busy and the practice is very professional. The receptionists are very cheerful and clearly know a lot of their patients.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2013