Ratings for Dr. Mark Edward McLean

This wonderful Doctor saved my girls life. His compassion and knowledge is outstanding. He is the model of what needs to be understood with addiction

flag | Submitted October 26, 2016

I had a terrible experience with this doctor . I saw Dr. Mark McLean 4.5 years ago and still feel traumatized by the experience. He was cold, uncaring, arrogant and ignorant about that which he is supposed to have expertise. I had to see the doctor to complete the intake process to the Daytox – a drop-in clinic. I was withdrawing from a doctor-prescribed benzodiazepine and was simply looking for support in my taper and recovery. My family doctor had good things to say about this place and these people. I had seen the nurse a week earlier and she was very knowledgeable and understanding and I was told I would be supported and not forced to do anything I was not comfortable with, that I was doing a sensible, gradual, self-directed tape (as per the Heather Ashton Manual- the authority on how to withdraw from benzodiazepines: http://benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm) and could continue this . She was well acquainted with benzodiazepine withdrawal, so I assumed the doctor would be too. I was 9 months into a gradual self-directed taper. Well, everyone at the Daytox was not on the same page. The doctor advised me to immediately stop the clonazepam and replace it with a very high dose of gabapentin, another drug. This treatment is contraindicated for benzo withdrawal and can make it a whole lot worse. I asked how many he'd helped with this unproven method. He said one person. He cannot understand why I will not do this. I am deathly afraid of ever ingesting another brain-disabling drug, already in a very bad way thanks to doctors and their drugs, in a withdrawal known to be worse than coming off of heroin. All I wanted was to continue tapering off the clonazepam, not introduce another unknown drug, have some control, the little that I still had. I explained this and he just stared at me cold and blank. I had to excuse myself to the bathroom I was so upset. I returned and he told me then there was nothing he could do for me, so I left, just bewildered, as another nurse who had been present the whole time, looked at me sympathetically. I returned to the Centre a few days later to continue with the acupuncture and I was told by staff I had to leave, they were closing my file. Since I would not follow the doctor's instructions, I could not partake in any of their services and should find help elsewhere. Wow. I ended up completing the taper (six month later) and continue to recover without any support from a health”care” professional but rather with the support from the good folks on an online forum benzobuddies.org and my husband.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2016

If you catch him on a good day he is great. However, if you deal with him enough you will find he is very stubborn, arrogant, hypocritical, and even cruel. The impression I get from him is that he doesn't want to view you as an equal, on a human to human basis, he isn't interested in your opinion on treatment changes or on what kind of treatments you would like to try instead of his. He has broken promises on two occasion, and I have caught him in contradictions on more than a few occasions. The same thing has happened to me, when I've missed an appointment. He promised he would fax the suboxone script to the pharmacy, but did not. When the pharmacist called him about it he simply didn't acknowledge it and hung up. She was furious and kind enough to fill an emergency script for that night. He is has been 80% of the time fine and helpful even. But the other 20% is pure toxicity, and damaging to my recovery.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

I agree with everyone's character assessment of Dr. Mclean in all it's positives, but I have to also agree with what one person said that he can "react quite unreasonably" and be a little tactless at times. Ex: I missed an appointment to refill my suboxone script due to work obligations. He was not due to be back in the office for 3 days. Through the nurse at Daytox requested that he fax a script to my pharmacist just for the 3 days until I can come in for an appointment. He refused and insisted I have to see him first. That now means I will be without my withdrawal meds for 3 days! On the verge of calling the old dealer to score a 3 day supply of Percs. Good job doc!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Very caring and intelligent. Soft spoken, compassionate and gives very helpful feedback.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

Very intelligent, genuine & straightforward, honest almost to a fault at times but always calls it as it is. Very opinionated but is knowledgeable enough to do so. Ive been seeing him for just over a year now and would recommend him to anyone seeking help with opiate addiction

flag | Submitted March 6, 2014

I've been seeing Dr McLean for almost 3 years regularly once a month. He is a pleasant approachable down-to-earth guy - most of the time. There have been occasional days that he has reacted quite unreasonably toward me though, which made things more stressful for me. I suppose he has to follow the protocol, but that has resulted in me holding back what information I share with him. This unfortunately negatively impacts the therapeutic relationship. I'd like to be completely open with my doctor, without it having adverse consequences. Other than that, he is definitely a very knowledgeable professional and I trust he knows what he's doing very well. Sometimes his desk staff can be snotty and talk down to Dr McLean's addict patients.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013