Ratings for Dr. John H. Harney

Doctor Harney should be on D-Magazines Best Doctors. He is extremely smart, kind, compassionate & treats the patient like a person, & fully explains the diagnosis so the patient fully understands. He is a leading Nuerologist, an expert on MS & Board Certified Pain Management. He truly cares for each patient quality of life. -JR

flag | Submitted July 29, 2018

I love Dr. Harney. He is a great doctor and always listens/ If you need more time to go over issues you are having he will give it to you. Yes you do need to wait sometimes but overall it worth the wait. I think people exaggerate a bit because although is true they never answer their phone they always call back within the same day even though their system says it can take up to 48 hours for a return call. I understand he is not a urgent care that's why the ER department if for people. Also those who complaint about money I have gotten a few bills too but if you offer to make payments they let you sometimes they aren't inconsiderate they just need to know you are paying it as you signed the contract. Also I once experienced a patient yielding at the manager for being fired from office but those who have don't write about they marijuana abuse or other illegal substances. He will only fired you if...you are not compliant with your appointments, if you do not complete your UDS which is to make sure you are using your medications correctly and not using anything else other than prescribed meds , no balance unless you are paying it at least within a certain amount of time and do not fill any other controlled substances at any other doctors office without his permission. He does charge $5 for narcotics only but other doctor offices do too so what's the big deal. He is a great doctor if not the best I have ever seen. Staff has always been nice to me. He even take care of stuff that is not his specialty to do you a favor. I have heard he has a new nurse practitioner so you can book appointment within a week now or even the next day. His medical assistant is amazing she work promptly and she is extremely organized I have actually seen her cleaning her desk when I go there. she calls back the same day like I said unless is a questions that Dr. Harney needs to answers then she waits on him to call back with the answer. I think overall people have different opinions about him and his staff I can only recommend one thing: Follow the rules and you give be the happiest ever and continue to care for your condition. If you complaint most likely is because you are a non compliant patient and want it your way. BEST OFFICE EVER!!! will never change.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

Absolutely horrible staff. The main interest of the practice seems to be all about money. Have to make a $100 deposit before you can even schedule an appointment. Following a drug reaction, no follow up from the office and no alternative drug prescribed. A joke of a practice

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

Must pay CASH for refill prescriptions. Its all about the money. Requires separate visits to speak to him versus having him do injection therapy. During injection you CANNOT talk to him. Do not go here. Female patients beware.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

Dr Harney diagnosed and treated my multiple sclerosis and chronic pain since 2000. He put me on very powerful and addicting meds including adderall, oxy condone, fentanyl patch and Xanax . I never broke any rules of the pain management contract I signed but when an ex boyfriend called without my knowing about it trying to get early refill, dr Harney dismissed me. Now I can't see another pain management for my recent back injury because they documented that " excessive calls were made for early refills ".

flag | Submitted March 18, 2016

Decent doctor, terrible staff. They make things much more complicated than necessary

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

I have read these comments and agree he has an awful staff., but he hired them. I am weaning myself off pain meds after 7years because he pulled the same stunt on me about not refilling my meds because I owe him. 101.00. I just got the bill about 2 weeks ago. He was refusing to foil them until I drove down to pay the bill. I called him and informed him I considered what he did as abandonment of a patient. He filled the RX, but My PCP had already saved the day and I am reducing them. I was preparing to go cold turkey. I have never owed him a dime until I had 2 ins plans last year. The office was rude and argumentative and told me I had to file my secondary ins for the 101.00 owed and to just send my EOB from the primary insurance to the secondary. I called Aetna and they told me that was totally incorrect. The insurance person CX my April appt in Jan 2016 and told me I could reschedule when the 101.00 was paid. We all know that takes 3 months. I started thinking how he prescribes the narcotics for pain patients and treats and controls them like they are hard core addicts . If you think about it maybe you don't really have Fibro you have an opiate addiction. I talked to the pharmacist and was told that withdrawal from opiates can mimic Fibromyalgia. So if he has Large # of Fibro patients and they need this strong medication that keeps us coming back and that keeps him his patients and the money he seems to need so much . It is truly all about the money. I am a nurse and spent 40 yrs working for doctors and I never ever saw this type of uncaring treatment. I also know that a doctor knows exactly what is being done in his office. He sets the rules so don't say he is a great doctor because his treatment of his pain patients are his rules I assure you of that and they are designed to get u addicted so you stay with him and that in my opinion is malpractice. My PCP sends her Fibro patients to a Rheumatologist not a Neurologist. When you call to speak to him believe me it is he that won't talk to you. Not his staff just doing that, but they won't call you either. As someone said in an earlier post he is a drug dealer with an RX pad. At the end of the day he fired me as a patient, but I had already fired him.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

Dr Harney is a caring and brilliant doctor and I've been seeing him for over 15 years. He's always been an outstanding clinician as well as being caring and compassionate. The problem comes with the cold, impersonal and expensive way everything else is run. There are extra fees for everything. Your co-pay gets you face time with him and absolutely nothing else. Even if he writes prescriptions during your visit they cost $5 each. I've always had the impression that the staff are overworked, stressed and have little patience in dealing with patients. Office appointments need to be scheduled 3 months in advance. They won't deal with emergencies. Period. The phone is answered by a machine. You can only leave messages. There are signs in the office telling you that they even refuse to make copies of anything. Everything, it seems, is about money. I can't count the number of times that I've sat in the waiting room with patients who struck up conversations with each other and complained bitterly about wait time and the staff. I’ve spent 15 years hoping things would get better. I’m still waiting. The bottom line is that you must decide how much you're willing to put up with in order to see an excellent doctor.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2015

The staff is awful. They don't return phone calls and never respond to pharmacy refill requests. BEWARE if you are close to running out of medication and need a refill you must physically go to the office where the staff will treat you poorly. Dr. Harney himself is alright but not amazing and not worth dealing with his awful staff.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

Dr. Harney is very good most of the time. The office staff is horrible. He thinks his office staff does nothing wrong. Try being his patient, he would not like the way his staff treating him.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2014

Dr. John H. Harney's Credentials

• Univ Auto De Guadalajara, Fac De Med, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico (Grad. 1978)

• Aetna - Choice POS Ii