Ratings for Dr. Lindsay Barnes

I had Lindsay for the birth of my daughter. At the first appointment she asked me if I wanted to go with her, or if I had other meetings with other midwives. At the time, I had not received any emails back from other clinics, and so I told her that I would go with her. I feel like this was a big mistake. I did not feel comfortable with her at all. She made me feel incompetent and tried to force me into doing certain things that I was not willing to do. During the prenatal visits she would ask me personal questions and then forget what I had said and would ask insensitive questions as a result. For example, I shared with her that I lost my mother (she asked about stressful life events). The following appointment, she was trying to convince me to wear compression stockings, and said "Why don't you ask your mother what it's like to have varicose veins". I didn't respond because I was at a loss. So insensitive. The labour went fine, mostly because she was only there about 30 min before I delivered my baby. My husband was holding my legs while the baby's head was crowning- he had to call her over. During our post-natal visits she made me feel that that our baby had gas, questioning me for 20 min about how we were preparing formula. I had a terrible experience and would not refer anyone to her.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2016

We had Lindsay for the birth of our second child and I cannot say enough good things. She took us on at 30 weeks and when I went into labour at 32 weeks (before having the chance to meet her) she was on the ball. Fortunately the labour stopped and pregnancy resumed as normal. For the remaining 8 weeks Lindsay was wonderful and took the time to answer every question. I was attempting a VBAC and she was incredibly supportive but also realistic. She never tried to talk me out of it or scare me with stats. When the actual labour came around she was at the hospital before we were and was hands on. She has a tough love approach that I personally loved. I achieved my goal of a VBAC and I really believe that without her support and coaching it wouldn't have happened. Her home visits were great and felt like a luxury compared to our first birth through the clinic. I had struggled to breast feed my first and Lindsay worked hard and took extra time to coach me and help me get breastfeeding going. I would recommend her in a heartbeat and use her again if we ever have a 3rd!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

Lindsay was unorganized and unprofessional. She told us the gender of our baby and we didn't want to know. She forgot our names all of the time and after delivery she kept forgetting what gender of baby we had. Delivery itself with her was a horrible experience. Her episiotomy was a mess and I've been dealing with prolapse because of it. I am hugely disappointed that I went with a mid-wife this birth, unlike my first birth where I used a clinic.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2015

We found Lindsay rather inattentive during prenatal visits, for the birth itself, I haven't much to say either way about her.. The one thing I will give Lindsay is that she was helpful for post birth visits, checking on the baby and my well being. Over all, I would suggest she would be better suited to post natal care, as opposed to delivery ...

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

We had a terrible experience with Lindsay and would definitely NOT recommend her. Unfortunately, it was our first baby and didn't have much to compare to. The night I went into labor and made the call to the midwife, we were surprised that a student answered and was coaching us through. This student would then say she would call us back after consulting with the senior midwife who was Lindsay. Long story short, we kept being told I was in early labor each time we called - no home visit to assess at all was even mentioned. The final call we made, I think both the student and Lindsay both realized that I was way further along and told us to rush to the hospital and they would meet us there. The care ride was excruciating and I was 8cm dilated when we arrived. I pushed for 2.5 hours when finally Lindsay stepped in and called in a doctor. Lindsay and the student were both completely absent in my labor - we felt alone and confused. Lindsay was standing way over to the side on her phone off and on - it was shocking and very upsetting. They cleaned up no mess as things were happening and there was no motivation or coaching AT ALL! Our baby turned out to be a forcep delivery. When Lindsay visited us at the hospital she was extremely rushed and not personal at all. It was a very unfortunate experience because of Lindsay and her lack or professionalism, care, support and sensitivity. She was in another world every time we saw her. I do not blame the student who was training - I blame Lindsay.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

Lindsay "took care" of me during my pregnancy, but luckily wasn't on call the night I went into labour. It was at times laughable how unprofessional she was and I never truly felt like she cared about me or my birth experience. She's completely unorganized, never on time and even at the end of my pregnancy did not know my name without referencing her notes (made it awkward the day she grabbed the wrong notes). I don't consider myself a high maintenance or sensitive client, but would strongly recommend against using Lindsay.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

I was so disappointed to find out Lindsay was my midwife for my delivery. I had hope Tamara would be the one on call but my son decided to be 9 days late. Tamara was on holidays and Lindsay was delivering and doing the appointments. I have nothing positive to say about my experience with Lindsay. In meetings pre and post labour she would often ask me a question and then 5 mins ask me again as if she was not paying attention to what she was doing. She was very unattentive during my labour (she sat a read a book while I was in labour), when labour went late into the night she complained about how she had appointments in the morning, she argued with the nurses and seemed to be very distracted at times. She checked me and told me I was ready to push. I pushed for 30 mins and then she checked again and I was not fully dilated. She got mad at me for not pushing right (the next day she did apologize if she was hard on me). I ended up having a emergency C-section. I ended up getting a infection from the C-section and spent 10days in the hospital twice a day getting IV antibiotics. I missed out on the first 3 weeks of my sons life recovering. I truly feel if I had had a different midwife I would have a much better labour experience.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2015

From my first appointment with Lindsay, I had a hard time connecting with her. I didn't get the reassurance from her that I needed, on multiple occasions. She was friendly and seemed knowledgeable at times, but by the end of my pregnancy I had some anxiety about Lindsay being on call when I went into labour. In the end, Lindsay was not the midwife to deliver my baby. Overall I felt that Lindsay did an ok job with my prenatal care, but she lacked the level or professionalism and reassurance-giving that I would have wanted during labour and delivery.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2014

Lindsay delivered my two children and she knew exactly when to bring me into the hospital for the delivery of my second child when I thought it was too early! She knew the signs that I was going to deliver quickly and she met me at the hospital and helped me through a very intense and quick birth. She always provided professional care and answered all our questions thoroughly. For the first baby, she helped my daughter with her latching problems and made breastfeeding my second child that much easier. I would definitely recommend her services and since my husband and I have completed out family we are going to miss seeing her friendly face at our clinic visits.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2013

Unfortunately Lindsay was on call when my baby decided to be born. It was happening 3 weeks before my due date and Lindsay from the beginning was trying to convince me over the phone that I am not in labor yet. She never made the trip to check on me as it turned out she was at another birth nor she made a call to another midwife to do so. I was laboring at home with my doula and was getting ready for a home birth. When my waters finally broke Lindsay realized that I must be in labor but could not come for another an hour and a half and still she did not make a call for the back up. When she finally arrived I was ready to push but then she announced that the baby is breach and we had to quickly transfer to the hospital where I had an emergency C-section. This was a very traumatic experience mostly because of Lindsay's lack of professionalism, knowledge, support and understanding. I truly believe Lindsay is not capable of caring for a pregnant and/or laboring woman.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2013