Ratings for Dr. Brian J. MacLean

Brian is a kind and gentle person who greets you with a good handshake and a warm smile. Over the last year and a half I have been seeing Brian to deal with PTSD. Before that I had bounced between about 10 different psychiatrists, psychologists and councillors none of whom were able to help me much. After reviewing my history and symptoms plus doing an EEG assessed what parts of my brain had been most affected by my condition. After this we determined that it was not simple clinical depression and anxiety but PTSD we were dealing with which had been missed by others. We then proceeded to neurofeedback to adjust how my brain worked to “repave the roads” to reduce symptoms. This is a non-invasive technique which you wear a special hat and watch or listen to sounds or images. Within 3 months I found it generally easier to control my anxiety, depression, and anger. This plus help with learning to meditate and helping me understand my condition has led me to understand what I feel, why I am feeling it, as well as how to deal with it. That is not to say this has been a bump free road. There have been set backs but Brian has been there with me the whole time. Brian is knowledgeable and understanding and wants to get to the source of your problems not just the surface symptoms. I would compare him using antibiotics to treat an internal infection as opposed to using rubbing alcohol on the skin. Brian is a warm and welcoming person who does not want a person to be afraid and usually at the times we are seeking the help of a person such as Brian we are usually not in the mood of opening up and sharing. We feel that we are the problem or a mistake. That is not the case. Brian does not judge and is willing to hear you on your own terms. I have told him about events I have been too ashamed about to even tell my own family. Yet he does not judge and tries to help you understand yourself. You should view this as an attempt at discovering who you are with a kind person to help guide you there. He is a person whom you can confide in as well as someone who can provide sober second opinion. He is well versed in current literature and is very astute at keeping up with what you have said in past session to better understand you and the complex person we all are. If I can offer any advice to those looking for someone to help them with a problem is this. Go to Brian. Go with an open mind and try your best. Work with him and he will give you nothing less. He will not force you into anything you are not comfortable doing. HE has never rebuked me for anything and has become a trusted confidant. His only want is to help you overcome your current situation and to better yourself. So go forth with an open mind and an easy heart with no fear. This is a man I can say “you can trust” and with my condition and the severity of it those words do not come easily nor often.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

The first introduction to any office/business is the front line staff. Most businesses fail to realize their importance ~ they are your first impression and the receptionist is excellent at her job, warm, friendly and very efficient which helps put one at ease while awaiting your appointment. I was extremely nervous before attending my first session with Dr. MacLean ~ I wasn’t sure how / if I would be able to open up and be honest with any psychologist especially a male. I mean where do you start and I had all these thoughts that were all over the map, my stomach was in knots and my breathing was very shallow ~ all signs of how nervous I was. Within minutes Dr. MacLean had me smiling, laughing and at ease then the words / thoughts flowed. He has a great sense of humour and this works well for me; helped me to relax and breathe. Dr MacLean has a very warm, friendly demeanour, is a good listener, insightful and comments at the right moment and with such insightfulness it is uncanny. He is also very positive and supportive. In more than one occasion he turned my negative feelings into ones of positiveness. Don’t be surprised if when a few session in he brings up and refers to a comment you much earlier casually mentioned. Amazing retention and I felt that he now brought it up as I could be open to discussing it now. I highly recommend to be prepared with paper and pen as it is humanly impossible to retain even one half of the information he gives. He will be happy to give you some if you forget and definitely use it even if you just jot a word down here and there, it will help you afterwards. As others have commented seeing Dr. MacLean will change your life for the better, you will appreciate his knowledge, compassion, ability to put you at ease, his sense of humour, and accept you for the wonderful person that you are. Ready for the next positive phase of your life, I highly recommend Dr. MacLean, he is worth the wait yet he will do his best to get you in in a timely manner. Good Luck :-)

Submitted April 9, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. McLean for about two months. My experience with him is very positive. He has a friendly and insightful demeanour which I find very pleasant to be around. It makes for a nice platform for discussion about personal topics. He is also punctual which seems to be quite rare in the health sector. He has helped me develop techniques that have improved my quality of life, even within the short time that I have been seeing him. The staff at his office are also very kind. The girl who answers the phone extends the same friendliness that Dr. McLean does.

Submitted March 23, 2016

Found Dr. MacLean via this forum during my search for a good psychologist. Saw him a few times, individually and with my wife for some relationship issues. Compared to others I / we have seen in the past, Dr. MacLean was able to identify the issue very quickly and make us both see it clearly and give us insight that we couldn't get ourselves. He is a great listener, and offers excellent insight at just the right time during the discussions. He also impressed me with his level of preparedness - it was clear each time that he had a good recollection from the prior session so there wasn't any wasted time going over the same issues. He was also very generous with his time - you get the full hour, unlike others who rush you out before time is up. Most importantly though is his manner and attitude - I agree with what others here have said, he is very welcoming and makes you feel at ease right away. Highly recommended.

Submitted March 10, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr MacLean's for 4 years and would recommend him to anyone who is looking for some support, guidance and perspective. I burnt out badly after 25 years in a stressful job, Dr MacLean worked with me tirelessly and with great care to help get me back to a happy and peaceful place. It was a lot of work but I feel better than I have in a very long time and I attribute that to his help, I *still* connect once in a while to 'catch up' and share a laugh and am very grateful that I am able to do that.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2016

If you are ready to change your life for the better, to be all that you have ever dreamed, Dr.MacLean is the person to help you. His knowledge, patience, and kindness will guide you on your journey. I have been doing biofeedback with Dr.MacLean for five months and my life has improved 100%. I am dyslexic which affects my reading, writing, and speech. After five months, I have published an article in a magazine, gone back to school, and can speak with ease. I also have arthritis and have pain all through my body, but I eat better with Dr.MacLean's help, and am now training for an triathlon.

Submitted January 31, 2016

I probably couldn't adequately explain how much Brian has helped me. I came to him disoriented after the severe after-effects of trauma, gained as I served in Afghanistan and from a chaotic and grueling early life and childhood. PTSD is not something you can understand easily; it is part of an entire system of reactions within and outside the body. It affects and alters structures within the mind and one's understanding of one's place in and relation to society, undermining the very structures we place between ourselves and the kind of disarray in self-identity that can lead to despair, loss of hope, and perhaps suicide. Somehow, with his compassionate understanding Brian has come between me and that experience. He is not the usual psychologist, who condescends. Despite witnessing the worst of my symptoms, he has remained like a compassionate friend. I am a person with multiple reasons to be marginalized within society, but my experience and voice and perspective are no less important to him than his own. He makes me feel that in the maelstrom of my own experience, there is someone who remains unmoved, and still loves me. Perhaps one day I can learn to be that person, too. Dr. MacLean's sophisticated brain-imaging equipment (which he applies gently) and his knowledge of cutting-edge research in multiple fields relating to mood management and self-regulation make him the most desirable resource you could have in your healing process. He's given me more insight into my physiological processes, i.e., my own body, than my doctors have ever done, which has a huge effect on how my traumatic experiences are stored and managed. And he is the least arrogant person one could imagine with his expertise. I am not sure how I stumbled into seeing this particular doctor: I have no special connections or resources. Problems of trauma, feeling, reaction and anger are not simple and one-dimensional, and we live in a quick-fix binary culture that will attempt to grind down and destroy divergent thinking, ways of being, and experience. Brian honours your humanity while perhaps helping you find a way through it that is bearable, meaningful, and maybe even fun. His office staff are a pleasure to deal with and extremely helpful.

Submitted October 3, 2015

Brian has been a most positive influence in our lives, both on a personal therapy level and for my son. \I came to see Brian at a very low point in my life. \he offered incredible insights and strategic methods to not only face my suffering but come out of it. He offered a bright light in my darkness and acted as guide,mentor, and knowledge person regarding the human mind and psyche. we owe a debt of gratitude for your work with us. many thanks Brian. you are a wonderful gift to all who en counter you. cheers,

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

It is true, within the first few minutes of meeting; Brian’s kind, gentle and relaxing nature instantly ensures you a safe place to share your personal journey. I was married for 33 years, the last half having a less than desirable history. I never felt judged or guided by Brian’s personal thoughts. Instead, he allowed me to grieve, and feel the pain, anger and frustration that I needed to express. He introduced various stress reduction techniques. It was not only fun, but very helpful. Brian shared with me that there are situations in life when I just need to move into a place of acceptance – regardless of how hard I tried. I was destined for disappointment, rejection and emotional isolation. Brian also has a fabulous sense of humour and I always left our meetings feeling valued and respected. I am grateful for his friendship, and for giving me the encouragement, support, and skills to start putting my life back together. There are more challenges ahead to navigate. However, I take with me every day so many profound insights and thoughts learned, giving me the strength needed to move forward. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Brian’s assistance to anyone.

Submitted July 29, 2015

From the moment that I stepped into Brian's office I felt at ease. He had a welcoming hand shake of an old friend and a smile of a distant bother. I have had no hesitations allowing myself to open up with Brian, his in depth knowledge of both PTSD and Relationship Counselling has saved a new relationship while providing subtle guidance down a gentler path of live. It has been my utmost pleasure working with Dr. MacLean over the last seven months. I look forward to every visit and would recommend Brian to anyone of my family or friends. I give Dr. MacLean the highest of all ratings.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

Dr. Brian J. MacLean's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Commercial Insurance Company