Ratings for Dr. Claire Barrett

Saw her privately years ago when I had just developed high antinuclear antibodies. Saw a locum while she was on leave who ordered a CT scan of head and neck for my inflamed sallva gland. On test day was not inflamed and nothing showed in test. Heard her on phone blasting the locum for a test with radiation that showed nothing and questioning why was it necessary. She had judged me as making up stuff before meeting me it seemed and was angry first consult. Didn't read the notes of locum. Was abrupt and said, what are your symptoms? Wasn't ready for that as I'd had a long consult with locum first time and expected she would have read his letter. Didn't like her manner. Maybe a good doctor but no bedside manner to me on that day anyway. My antinuclear antibodies were high but negative on other bloods. She said it may be a virus and insinuated my pain is in my head and put me on antidepressants. Said I may have pre-lupus and was very dismissive. She wrote a letter to my GP questioning my mental health because I broke down crying at her manner. I wanted to investigate some antibodies because my daughter had been born premature and low birth weight. I'd had HELLP syndrome and preeclampsia during pregnancy and still had PTSD and knew I'd had autoimmune problems for years. She was not understanding and wrote that I must have a mood disorder. In later years my ANA remained high and I've been diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and take Plaquenil that helps now. had that when I saw her she just didn't diagnose it properly.

Submitted May 31, 2018

Claire is a superb, caring professional who is current in her knowledge base. She is always prepared for each appt, remembers the complexities of my other conditions and easily arranges appts, blood forms and scripts, checking before finishing that I, my husband and GP (when using Skype) don't have any further concerns. When I am unwell I go to my GP (I live 1000km from her surgery ) and he phones Claire for input in a timely manner. She focuses on individualized care and provides information and materials re medications so that I can make an informed decision.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2018