Ratings for Dr. Axel Estensen

It’s hard to say a bad word about Axel; yes his patients call his by his first name as he treats his patients as equals. He has a broad knowledge of treatment options and I have been involved with every decision made under his care. Axel is a down to earth family man who I have a lot of respect for. As an inpatient at NFC you are able to see him 6 days a week. He works tirelessly to meet the needs of his clients in a professional, friendly and efficient manner. As with any good psychiatrist he is time poor, changing appointments can be difficult and you’re often required to book months in advance. I’ve never had to sit in the waiting room for hours on end to see him as I have with previous practitioners. If you are looking for a doctor to overprescribe medication or write dodgy reports then this is not the man to see, he has a high moral and ethical standard to which he complies. He has his patient’s best interests at heart.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

I totally respect the opinion of the previous reviewer but Axel must have been having a bad day. He filled in for my regular doctor and was really great. It is almost pointless Axel being listed on here. He is so popular his books have been closed for ages at least to outpatients the last I knew (he does a lot of inpatient work.) His loyal patients tend to stick with him until they are better.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

I didn't find him all that friendly, and a bit put out about having to see me when my regular doctor was away. Maybe if you are his patient he is nicer to you.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2017

Horrible experience with Axel. I am astonished by the amount of good reviews on here.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Axel was my doctor when I went through an acute major depression with psychosis when I was in my late teens/early twenties. i always felt he was on my side and trusted him completely. Throughout my stay at new farm clinic and ect sessions he made me feel as much at ease as possible and always had a smile and joke for me. It's not until I'm older now that I really appreciate what he did for me and how he did it- thank you Axel

flag | Submitted September 14, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr Estensen for 5 years and he has literally saved my life. He has great empathy and insight to patient issues and has just helped through a very traumatic event in my life. I cannot recommend Axel highly enough.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

Experienced, insightful and professional. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

Great doctor. Good sense of humor! Has been in the game for years and made me feel very comfortable.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2014

I have been seeing Axel for 20 years since he began his training as a registrar psychiatrist at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. He was on on the team that first diagnosed me with postpartum psychosis when my baby was 11 days old. Then later with bipolar. After seeing him for about 9 years there he moved to New Farm Clinic where he has continued my treatment. He has always been patient, down to earth and explained my treatments well and I was involved in decision making which I appreciated as it helped me stick to it. I think he is a great doctor and could not have gotten through such difficult times without him. Anyone would wanting a good doctor could not find anyone better though he is more difficult to get an appointment just the wait can be longer as he is so popular.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2014

I can tell anyone looking for a psychiatrist that this man is an excellent Dr. He is knowledgeable, caring, warm, interested, inquisitive and about as down to earth as one could expect from a specialist. He cared for me over a long period of admissions at NFC and as an outpatient for ECT. When undergoing ECT you want to feel relaxed and comfortable (as is possible) and Axel's warm nature and jokes always put me at rest - in fact I missed the sessions!

flag | Submitted January 22, 2014