Ratings for Dr. J. Michael Leary

Dr. Leary did sclerotherapy to treat spider veins on my legs. I have been treated by numerous doctors prior to seeing Dr. Leary. I lost hope that my legs will ever look normal. What Dr. Leary did, exceeded all my expectation! The improvement is remarkable, I am very pleased with the results! Dr. Leary is a true expert in his field! I would very highly recommend Dr. Leary. Lora C, San Diego

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016

Dr. Leary has treated my varicose veins over this last year. The treatments have changed my life! I used to never wear shorts or dresses (even in 100 degree weather), but now my legs look amazing and I have the confidence to "bare my legs to all!" He also gave me some fillers and botox to "refresh" my look. He is great with injections! Dr. Leary was very patient and explained everything well. He is definitely a doctor that makes you feel comfortable and cared for and not rushed out of the office like some doctor's offices. The staff was nice and my appointment was on time. I would highly recommend him to friends and family.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2015

I used to have a big bulging vein on the back of my calf and a friend of mine told me about Dr. Leary and said I should have it checked out. I went for a consultation and Dr. Leary was very professional and honest. He recommended the laser procedure to close the vein down. The office staff was very pleasant and very upfront about all of the costs involved. The pain from the vein and the visibility of the vein is completely gone and I was very happy with the results. Dan C. Huntington Beach, CA

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Three years ago I had a vein procedure called ELVT, which removes the greater saphenous vein. I was very nervous and unsure about this procedure being done. I asked a lot of questions and did some research. I came there in the first place because I had some varicose veins on the lower right ankle area that I didn’t like. Dr. Leary said they should be removed because the vein wasn’t working because of reflux the blood was going down but not back up the leg. He convinced me of this and said that my leg would be better and healthier than before. He said the other veins would take over and they were doing that now anyway. So I reluctantly and against my gut instinct had the procedure done. I later found out this procedure is not recommended for closing varicose veins in the lower calf. The procedure itself is very unpleasant with many injections and compression stocking that is hot and cut deeply into the back of leg and left ligature marks for many months after. Two weeks after the procedure my right foot was so swollen I could no longer wear shoes without a lot of discomfort and this has never gone away since. I either go barefoot, wear uggs, sandals or boots because any shoes I wear now is incredibly uncomfortable. Any other woman would have sued for this alone long ago had they been in my place. I also cannot wear my orthotics, which I had always worn because they won’t fit in any shoe anymore with all the swelling. I’m probably the last woman to go to a place like this to begin with. Within the first year of the procedure I had other symptoms that have handicapped my life considerably. I have constant burning on the back of my right leg in the hamstring area and on the inside of my right thigh where the procedure was done. My entire leg has been swollen since and feels like the back of the leg will explode. I’ve had cramping, pain in the Achilles, heaviness and a loss of muscle control on the right leg. In short, I now have a clubfoot and a club leg that I feel I have to drag around instead of walking normally. If I had known that any of these permanent side effects had been possible, I never would have had this procedure done. Prior to coming to Dr. Leary, I was a very active and healthy person. I had achieved a second-degree black belt, played tennis every week, hiked, kayaked and exercised quite a bit. Now I’ve had to give up all of these activities. I should have gotten my third degree black belt this year but have had to give up martial arts all together. My profession as a park ranger also requires me to be very physically active. Now every day at work has been a struggle because my right leg is constantly bothering me. I have gone back to Dr. Leary three times since the procedure to see if any of this can be corrected. He barely said anything to me, did not read what I put on the form, just did the ultra sound and said that more veins needed to be closed. And of course I’d have to wear the horrible compression stocking again. He wasn’t sympathetic or concerned about my well being as a patient at all. The swelling in my foot, which meant he had seen this before, didn’t surprise him. He measured my legs before the procedure and they were both identical as they had been my entire life. Now my right leg is a 2 inches larger than the left because of all the swelling. I’m no longer able to sit, drive, walk, sleep or do anything without considerable discomfort in the right leg. It’s pretty clear there was nothing wrong with my greater saphenous vein and now there is not enough blood going to the muscles, which are why they are tight, burning and cramping all the time. I have seen several other doctors for these problems. I’ve had tests done which don’t show any nerve damage. Here as some comments from other doctors “ You should not have had this done”, this procedure is not for everyone and not done for women your age”. “I wish they wouldn’t be so cavalier about these things”. “ There procedures should not be done unless it’s medically necessary, not for cosmetic reasons” “Most people are not bothered by varicose veins and live just fine with them”. “I don’t like the ELVT because it uses too much heat, it’s not a procedure I would ever use” I was told by one doctor to try compression stocking which of course does not solve the problem and it’s impossible with my profession because I’m outside in the heat. I’ve also tried physical therapy which I knew would not work, but these are the medical hoops you have to jump through. The physical therapist noted that my right leg and foot are swollen and don’t any longer look like the left foot. They also noted that I no longer have the strength in my right leg as compared to the left even though the right side is my dominant side. They were never able to improve any of the symptoms with any physical therapy treatments. Because of the swelling on my right foot, I have greatly reduced mobility, which makes walking and driving a challenge.

Submitted May 23, 2015

I love this office I travel from the Westside , and we have tons to choose from, however I recommend Dr. Leary and his staff the do a superb job, I have had different types of treatments from my veins, botox, Matrix treatment on my face and neck and facials and every time I am done I am completely satisfied....

flag | Submitted April 3, 2015

Dr. Leary is a fabulous person and doctor for the treatment of vein issues. He is an extremely dedicated doctor, and I would go to none else. I have been treated in his office several times for painful and unsightly veins in my legs and he does a fantastic job! His office location and staff are the best! Thank you Dr. Leary!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2014

Excellent treatment of venous disease--deep and surface.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2014

Great office great dr. Michael Leary. Thank you . I will recommend you to all ...

flag | Submitted September 24, 2013

Dr. Leary is awesome! I had gone to another doctor about a year before seing Dr. Leary and never saw any improvement in my legs. After 2 treatments with Dr. Leary, my legs look so good! No more spider veins! Just keep in mind that you will most likely need more then one treatment and it takes time for the veins to disappear. Also, you may need to go back for touch ups once a year or every couple of years. Your veins will look worse before they disappear too! The actual procedure takes about 20 minutes and is virtually painless! I traveled from Claremont to Newport to have this procedure done and believe me, it was definitely worth it! Now that Summer is here, I can wear shorts again thanks to Dr. Leary :)!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2013

Got my veins treated - now I can enjoy walks on the beach with my husband and dog again!

flag | Submitted January 7, 2013

Dr. J. Michael Leary's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

If you have venous disease, whether it be varicose veins, spider veins or any other vascular condition, you will be in the best of hands with Dr. Leary, a Board Certified Phlebologist. Through his ability to expertly diagnose and skillfully perform the correct treatment to heal the effects of venous disease, you will receive state-of-the art treatment with minimally invasive medical technology and excellent follow up care. As a Phlebologist, he will coordinate every step of your treatment and follow up care. You are invited to come in for a private consultation and screening. During the consultation you will receive a comprehensive examination where he will answer all of your questions and explain how the venous system works and why you may be experiencing symptoms. The consultation also includes an Ultrasound of your legs. The Ultrasound assists in selecting the most effective vascular treatment for your specific needs and best desired result. For your convenience, all procedures are performed at California Vein Specialists, from the initial consultation through post-procedure care.

• Physician Proctor for American College of Phlebology
  • EVLA Physician Trainer
  • National Physician Trainer for Biolitec ElVes

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Leary did sclerotherapy to treat spider veins on my legs. I have been treated by numerous doctors prior to seeing Dr. Leary. I lost hope that my legs will ..."

February 18, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Leary has treated my varicose veins over this last year. The treatments have changed my life! I used to never wear shorts or dresses (even in 100 degree we..."

November 6, 2015
  • Postal Code has been updated from "92657" to "92660". Address has been updated from "None" to "180 Newport Center Drive ". Suite has been updated from "None" to "Suite 120".

June 5, 2015
  • Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "949-515-9377".

June 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I used to have a big bulging vein on the back of my calf and a friend of mine told me about Dr. Leary and said I should have it checked out. I went for a consu..."

June 4, 2015
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "Three years ago I had a vein procedure called ELVT, which removes the greater saphenous vein. I was very nervous and unsure about this procedure being done. I a..."

May 23, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I love this office I travel from the Westside , and we have tons to choose from, however I recommend Dr. Leary and his staff the do a superb job, I have had dif..."

April 3, 2015
  • First Name changed from "Michael" to "J. Michael"

May 9, 2013