Ratings for Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro

Everything about my experience with Dr. Vaccaro, Dr James Harrop, Mila Furman, the Rothman Institute and the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital was fantastic! From the doctors, to the nurses and literally, the cleaning staff (Mary??). I certainly can't leave out Nadine and the reception team or Rianna!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

A great person, and a great doctor very knowledgeable and involves the client in their care

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

I had chronic pain in my neck and arm from herniated discs. I was miserable. Dr. Vaccaro performed my cervical spine surgery 2.5 years ago and I have been pain free since. I can now play with my children again, and that means everything to me.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

Dr. Vaccaro was my third surgeon after a lengthy period of suffering caused by a high speed motor vehicle crash that left me with two crushed discs in my lower back. He first ordered a disc o gram, which had not been ordered by prior doctors which gave him the information he needed to preform a successful surgery for me. He took his time and was very patient with me making a decision. I had to to undergo a anterior / posterior two level fusion with bone implants and hardware. Great results.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

I have been extremely pleased with the care I received from Dr. Vaccaro. My cervical spine surgery (ACDF C 5-6) and recovery went just as he said it would. He even put the incision in a natural crease in my neck so the scar would not show. I recommend him to all my friends. I live in Delaware, but traveled to Philadelphia for his care. You might have to wait during the appointment, but it is well worth it. He spends all the time with you that you need. I had the surgery at their Bensalem facility which was an excellent choice. His physician assistant Mila Furman has been great!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

Best medical decision I made to have anterior posterior L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion. Dr. Vaccaro is trusted,confident and thorough in his explanation of surgery. His staff is most attentive then any other medical staff I ever met. He is a highly skilled surgeon and truly cares. When I called the office within 2 weeks post op concerned about nerve foot pain, Dr. Vaccaro personally called me and told me to come in to the office as soon as I wanted. He was there for me as well as his highly trained staff. He is simply the best in his field!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

Dr. Vaccaro listened to my needs and symptoms. He brought in his entire staff that were going to support him in surgery. I met everyone by name and what they did. He was very attentive and caring. The best part about Dr. Vaccaro was his humbleness and making sure the problem was fixed the first time and done the right way. His focus was caring, professional and a true advocate for correct healthcare. I am in the military and a Special Operations warrior for the USAF. I wanted back in the game to defend my great nation. I owe a lot to Dr. Vaccaro. I also promise to pay it forward helping someone else and treating them like he treated me. Thanks Dr. Vaccaro! And thanks to the Dr. Vaccaro Team!

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

I am now five months post spinal fusion surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro. From the moment of return from surgery to the recovery room my intense pain was gone. . I sought out Dr. Vaccaro on the recommendation of a nurse navigator. Dr. Vaccaro was honest, straight forward, and gave me a confidence that surpassed any previous Doctor. He listen and answered my questions thoroughly. I can testify that he is a highly skilled surgeon. Dr. Vaccaro's skills and his marvelous support team prevented me from having permanent serious spinal cord damage. The best in his field.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

Tremendous surgeon with a great staff. Underwent disc surgery and experienced immediate relief. After 40 days of extreme discomfort, I was rehabbing within hours after surgery. Dr, Vaccaro; Mila, his physician's assistant, and the entire staff at the Rothman Institute were tremendous. Although I hope no one has to go through this type of physical issue, I would highly recommend Dr. Vacarro and his staff.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2016

Dr. Vaccaro performed my spinal fusion (L4, L5 and S1) on 3/21/16. I was up and walking quickly (as they recommended). In the many miles I've walked since my day of surgery I have not had any of the pain that I initially went into surgery for (right leg pain that was very debilitating). I still have soreness at the point of the surgery but I was told up front that that would take 4-6 months due to having to split the muscle to get into the area that needed the repair. Just starting PT now. Brian R - Langhorne, PA

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston College in 1983 with a B.S. in Biology. He received his M.D. degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine where he was promoted with “Distinction.” He earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and graduated with honors in 1987. He completed a year of Surgical Internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA and his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency was at Thomas Jefferson University where he graduated in 1992. Dr. Vaccaro completed a Spine Fellowship at the University of San Diego, CA. He earned a PhD in 2007 in the field of Spinal Trauma. Dr. Vaccaro is the Richard H. Rothman Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the recipient of the Leon Wiltse award given for excellence in leadership and clinical research for spine care by the North American Spine Society (NASS) and is the past President of the American Spinal Injury Association and current President of the Association for Collaborative Spine Research He has over 530 peer reviewed and 195 non-peer reviewed publications. He has published over 300 book chapters and is the editor of over 44 textbooks and co-editor of OKU-Spine I and editor of OKU-8. Dr. Vaccaro is the President of Rothman Institute, Chairman of the department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Co-Director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley and Co-Director of Spine Surgery and the Spine Fellowship program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he instructs current fellows and residents in the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal problems and disorders.

• English

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1987)

• Spinal cord injury