Ratings for Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro

Dr. Vaccaro is the best. He explained everything about my condition to me which was very helpful in making the decision to have the surgery necessary for my well being. I would recommend him to anyone having back surgery.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2019

How do you thank someone for giving you your life back? I am immensely fortunate to have had Dr. Vaccaro as my surgeon. His expertise is second to none and everyone I mention him to shares this opinion. The best of the best!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2019

I have had the good fortune of having Dr. Vaccaro and staff perform surgery on me for a low back and a neck problem. Both times the Doctor and his staff have done a tremendous job helping me to alleviate constant pain which was hard to live with. I don't know what I would have done without them. I highly recommend their services to anyone who finds themselves in the same position that I was in.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2019

We saw 4 different spine surgeons before Dr. Vaccaro. All 4 had different opinions and couldn't make a decision regarding treatment. Dr. Vaccaro made it seem like a piece of cake. He was confident, quick to decide, and had the experience to back it. We moved forward with surgery and Dr. Vaccaro and the Rothman Institute made everything perfect. He and his staff run like a well-oiled machine and we were never in doubt or worried. The follow up was tremendous and everyone has been kind and flexible. We cannot recommend Dr. Vaccaro enough!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2019

I had been receiving subpar treatment at a local Orthopedic Center (3 hour drive to Philadelphia) for extreme sciatica in my left leg, which started on 12/24/2018, I had finally had enough and decided I was going to find and go to the best spinal surgeon I could find even if it meant going out of the country. A friend of mine asked if I’d ever heard of the Rothman Institute and in particular Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro. I hadn’t but after doing considerable research and finding both Rothman Institute and Dr. Vacarro impressive I scheduled a consultation with him on 2/22/19. Further solidifying just how bad my local care had been, within minutes of reviewing my MRI Dr. Vacarro was able to identify a whole different significant spinal issue which my local orthopedic doctor hadn’t even discovered or discussed with me. To his credit despite how bad my MRI imagery appeared to be he focused on me, the patient, and how I was doing. He took care in assessing me as a unique individual and although my MRI would suggest a justifiable surgery he and I decided based on some clear signs of progress, due in part to the positive effects of spinal epidural injections, that we would allow time and a careful approach to rehabilitation do it’s best in order to see if I could heal with a nonsurgical intervention. He could have looked at my MRI and said I’m justified in suggesting and carrying out this surgery right now and made it rain cash for himself like so many others do. He cared about me and what is best for me and because of that I’ve been given a fair shake at a nonsurgical recovery. I’ll tell you what though if this nonsurgical approach to recovery doesn’t work for me I’ll be on the phone to what I consider to be a great doctor and an even better man, Dr. Vacarro. I highly recommend Rothman Institute and Dr. Vacarro to anyone who is suffering with spine issues.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2019

Dr. Vaccaro is wonderful. I had a lumbar decompression and spinal fusion 10 wks ago and feel great! Highly recommend Dr. Vaccaro and his team at The Rothman Institute.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2018

More than 5 stars are needed to properly convey my experience with Rothman's Dr. Alex Vaccaro and team. Every aspect of my injury was corrected by this expert's skilled hands and I am PAIN FREE for the first time in almost 2 years! The entire process was simple and efficient pre, during and post-surgery. I was astonished by how uncomplicated it all felt, knowing that my issues and the procedure were the complete opposite. My gratitude knows no bounds - thank you for giving me my life back.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2018

I sought consultations from many surgeons to perform a procedure on my lower back. Dr. Vaccaro offered great patient, attention to detail, honest and open dialog, and put my mind at ease that lead me to choose him for my surgery. There is nothing I could do to repay him for offering me a better quality of life!!! Hopefully, my review will allow any reader to understand that this particular surgeon is looking for the ultimate best for his patients. Mila, and the entire staff showed great care and compassion for my well being. =). I'm happy to be alive!!!

flag | Submitted September 25, 2018

Excellent at what he dose. Had a lumbar fusion done 7/5/2018 and was back to work in 6 weeks. Highly reccomend.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2018

Dr. Vaccaro is an outstanding neurosurgeon in all ways! You would be extremely fortunate to be the recipient of his care. He is also warm , engaging and competent without arrogance. Your search is over!!! He's that good! He performed a cervical spine surgery on my husband with ease and complete success in 30 minutes!!! Who does that? smiling............

flag | Submitted August 24, 2018

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston College in 1983 with a B.S. in Biology. He received his M.D. degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine where he was promoted with “Distinction.” He earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and graduated with honors in 1987. He completed a year of Surgical Internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA and his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency was at Thomas Jefferson University where he graduated in 1992. Dr. Vaccaro completed a Spine Fellowship at the University of San Diego, CA. He earned a PhD in 2007 in the field of Spinal Trauma. Dr. Vaccaro is the Richard H. Rothman Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the recipient of the Leon Wiltse award given for excellence in leadership and clinical research for spine care by the North American Spine Society (NASS) and is the past President of the American Spinal Injury Association and current President of the Association for Collaborative Spine Research He has over 530 peer reviewed and 195 non-peer reviewed publications. He has published over 300 book chapters and is the editor of over 44 textbooks and co-editor of OKU-Spine I and editor of OKU-8. Dr. Vaccaro is the President of Rothman Institute, Chairman of the department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Co-Director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley and Co-Director of Spine Surgery and the Spine Fellowship program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he instructs current fellows and residents in the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal problems and disorders.

• English

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1987)

• Spinal cord injury