Ratings for Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro

I am now five months post spinal fusion surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro. From the moment of return from surgery to the recovery room my intense pain was gone. . I sought out Dr. Vaccaro on the recommendation of a nurse navigator. Dr. Vaccaro was honest, straight forward, and gave me a confidence that surpassed any previous Doctor. He listen and answered my questions thoroughly. I can testify that he is a highly skilled surgeon. Dr. Vaccaro's skills and his marvelous support team prevented me from having permanent serious spinal cord damage. The best in his field.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

Tremendous surgeon with a great staff. Underwent disc surgery and experienced immediate relief. After 40 days of extreme discomfort, I was rehabbing within hours after surgery. Dr, Vaccaro; Mila, his physician's assistant, and the entire staff at the Rothman Institute were tremendous. Although I hope no one has to go through this type of physical issue, I would highly recommend Dr. Vacarro and his staff.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2016

Dr. Vaccaro performed my spinal fusion (L4, L5 and S1) on 3/21/16. I was up and walking quickly (as they recommended). In the many miles I've walked since my day of surgery I have not had any of the pain that I initially went into surgery for (right leg pain that was very debilitating). I still have soreness at the point of the surgery but I was told up front that that would take 4-6 months due to having to split the muscle to get into the area that needed the repair. Just starting PT now. Brian R - Langhorne, PA

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

I sought a second opinion from Dr. Vaccaro based on a colleague's recommendation. My recovery from the second surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro was nothing short of miraculous. My experience began with Ryan in the call center who got me an appointment within 45 minutes of my phone call, to Nadine at the Front Desk, Mila, Dr. Vaccaro's physician assistant and all of the other supportive administrative and medical staff who are simply wonderful and caring professionals. The care rendered by Dr. Vaccaro, the Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson Hospital are premier. The surgery he performed and the function he restored has been life saving for me. Had I had my revision surgery by another surgeon, there is no doubt I would have not had the positive outcome he was able to give me. Dr. Vaccaro and his staff are rare as they do not treat the their patients as 'conditions' but as meaningful human beings. This is evident in their care, compassion, dedication and desire to give each and every patient the best possible outcome.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2016

My name is antoinetteholliday92@yahoo.com and I had been having lower back pain since the age of 32 years old in 2012 Dr.vaccaro fix my problem and I fell wonderful and I'm blessed to have had a great surgeon who cared about my well being to stand and sit again thanks so much Doc.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

Surgery on neck relieved the pain 12-24-15. Took the time to explain the procedure and have had great results. Clean hospital with excellent care.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2016

He was highly recommended to me and he did not disappoint! Dr. Vaccaro, in addition to being extremely personable, he was straight forward and assuring. I saw positive results immediately after he performed my lumbar decompression. He and his team took great care of me.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2016

I cannot say enough about Dr. Vaccaro and his staff. They are the most professional and helpful group of people I could hope to have handle my surgery. Though I was apprehensive going for my consultation, the more I spoke with Dr. Vaccaro, the more I felt at ease with the direction we were taking. His staff downtown and in Bensalem were amazing and helpful in every way. I give Dr. Vaccaro and his staff top marks in every category!

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015

From the moment I met Dr. Vaccaro and his assistant Mila Furman, I knew I was in GREAT hands at the Rothman Institute (I found out I not only had a herniated disc, I also had arthritis in my cervical spine that was compromising my legs). I had to have the BEST specialist in this field and Dr. Vaccaro was and is that doctor. Dr. Vaccaro went into great detail, walking me through my MRI films and discussing having cervical spine fusion surgery. I know I made the right decision not only with just picking the Rothman Institute, but to be blessed enough to have Dr. Alexander Vaccaro as "my" surgeon who performed it. Thank You Dr. Vaccaro and Mila Furman for being "You!"

flag | Submitted September 23, 2015

I highly recommend Dr. Vaccaro and his staff.They completely changed my quality of life.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2015

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston College in 1983 with a B.S. in Biology. He received his M.D. degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine where he was promoted with “Distinction.” He earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and graduated with honors in 1987. He completed a year of Surgical Internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA and his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency was at Thomas Jefferson University where he graduated in 1992. Dr. Vaccaro completed a Spine Fellowship at the University of San Diego, CA. He earned a PhD in 2007 in the field of Spinal Trauma. Dr. Vaccaro is the Richard H. Rothman Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the recipient of the Leon Wiltse award given for excellence in leadership and clinical research for spine care by the North American Spine Society (NASS) and is the past President of the American Spinal Injury Association and current President of the Association for Collaborative Spine Research He has over 530 peer reviewed and 195 non-peer reviewed publications. He has published over 300 book chapters and is the editor of over 44 textbooks and co-editor of OKU-Spine I and editor of OKU-8. Dr. Vaccaro is the President of Rothman Institute, Chairman of the department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Co-Director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley and Co-Director of Spine Surgery and the Spine Fellowship program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he instructs current fellows and residents in the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal problems and disorders.

• English

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1987)

• Spinal cord injury