Ratings for Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro

Dr Vaccaro performed a two level cervical disc replacement on me four and a half weeks ago and I could not be more pleased the result or with the care I received. The Rothman/Jefferson experience was first rate. Dr. Vaccaro, his PA Ms Furman, and the rest of his staff are consumate professionals and at the same time warm and caring individuals. All of my questions were answered and I never felt as if I was being rushed. My recovery was a breeze and all of my symptoms are gone. As a physician I had complete confidence in Dr Vaccaro and his team and never felt as if I had to be concerned about anything. We in Philadelphia are truly fortunate to have Dr Vaccaro, the Rothman Institute and Jefferson. Garabet M Zakeosian, MD, JD, LLM

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

He did a very sloppy cervical disc replacement on me! In fact he didn't put the artificial disc in the right spot and from the first xray I could tell but he wasn't admitting, now after a few months I have to have another surgery but definitely not with him! Any time after the surgery I went to see him , he came to the room with 5,6 students and was in a rush and any complain I had he just joked about it! I guess he is more busy with managing the whole orthopedic department and not caring about the patients or he does not have enough experience with disc replacement, he is more comfortable with fusion.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro's response
Dear Patient, We would love the chance to talk with you directly about your experience. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

Submitted May 5, 2017

I'm honored to say how wonderful Dr. Vaccaro treated me. I'm a soon to retire professional IAFF city fire Lt. I was injured in an arson/burglary. Dr. V. knew I had a few good miles left in me, fixed my neck. Never to need any pain meds. The 3 Hr. drive to Philly was worth it. His Physician's Asst. Mila Furman is also a wonderful young lady, and smart too. I can't say there was one time I wasn't happy to be there. You'll get the "Ritz Carlton" treatment at Rothman! Jim W. Scranton, PA.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

Dr. Vaccaro is not only amazing at his craft, but he's also very kind and has great bedside manners. Dr. Vaccaro's team is on point. The Rothman staff is excellent! Mila, Vaccaro's PA is such a sweetheart, she's very knowledgeable about the spine, when he walks into the room she makes you feel so at ease. The customer service at Rothman is top notch, they are very personable, they're comforting and they responded to all of my inquiries within hours. This was my first real medical surgery (where I needed to stay overnight, anyhow) and I don't have anything negative to say about the whole experience.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

Absolutely an amazing Dr that wants to actually make you better and not just throw medication at you. I have my life back. He took me as a patient after I had been considered a loss cause for my last Dr. My back surgery went as planned with no complication and very little need for even ibuprofen.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

He was very easy to talk to and explained everything thoroughly. He was the one who performed the surgery and was the doctor that I met with during all the follow-ups. He was patient and answered any and all questions I had. I would recommend him to anyone who is suffering with neck pain. He is your doctor.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

Everything about my experience with Dr. Vaccaro, Dr James Harrop, Mila Furman, the Rothman Institute and the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital was fantastic! From the doctors, to the nurses and literally, the cleaning staff (Mary??). I certainly can't leave out Nadine and the reception team or Rianna!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

A great person, and a great doctor very knowledgeable and involves the client in their care

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

I had chronic pain in my neck and arm from herniated discs. I was miserable. Dr. Vaccaro performed my cervical spine surgery 2.5 years ago and I have been pain free since. I can now play with my children again, and that means everything to me.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

Dr. Vaccaro was my third surgeon after a lengthy period of suffering caused by a high speed motor vehicle crash that left me with two crushed discs in my lower back. He first ordered a disc o gram, which had not been ordered by prior doctors which gave him the information he needed to preform a successful surgery for me. He took his time and was very patient with me making a decision. I had to to undergo a anterior / posterior two level fusion with bone implants and hardware. Great results.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

Dr. Alexander R. Vaccaro's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston College in 1983 with a B.S. in Biology. He received his M.D. degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine where he was promoted with “Distinction.” He earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and graduated with honors in 1987. He completed a year of Surgical Internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA and his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency was at Thomas Jefferson University where he graduated in 1992. Dr. Vaccaro completed a Spine Fellowship at the University of San Diego, CA. He earned a PhD in 2007 in the field of Spinal Trauma. Dr. Vaccaro is the Richard H. Rothman Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the recipient of the Leon Wiltse award given for excellence in leadership and clinical research for spine care by the North American Spine Society (NASS) and is the past President of the American Spinal Injury Association and current President of the Association for Collaborative Spine Research He has over 530 peer reviewed and 195 non-peer reviewed publications. He has published over 300 book chapters and is the editor of over 44 textbooks and co-editor of OKU-Spine I and editor of OKU-8. Dr. Vaccaro is the President of Rothman Institute, Chairman of the department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Co-Director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley and Co-Director of Spine Surgery and the Spine Fellowship program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he instructs current fellows and residents in the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal problems and disorders.

• English

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1987)

• Spinal cord injury