Ratings for Dr. Christian Schenk

I have been a patient of dr.schenk for about a year and my experience has been positive. The days I visit dr.schenk are good days. He is incredibly inclusive and aware of identitys. The visit I've had have always been informative and I'm left with new knowledge each time that I can use towards my mental upkeep and healing. I was quite surprised to see his rating was low. I've been to many doctors who treat you like a little meal ticket to rip up in a second and don't even talk to you, just prescribe. He doesn't do that, he gets to know you over an extended period of time and won't diagnose in the first visit because he cares about giving you the right thing.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

i find this pychiatrist punctual, communicates quite well I have been a pt of his for 4 years now

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016

Dr. Schenk is calm, supportive, nonjudgmental, and uses both medication and talk therapy to promote healing and recovery in patients who have experienced significant trauma.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2016

I was assigned Schenk when I was admitted to Lions Gate Hospital in 1994. In the course of 4 weeks of treatment, I didn't really make any real progress on the anti depressant he prescribed. I worked in Mental Health, in an acute care psychiatric unit for 15 years. As I and most mental health professionals know, anti depressant meds can take up to 6 weeks to start to work. Since I was making little progress, I was threatened to be sent to a long term care facility....being Riverview Hospital. An old school mental institution. I was coerced into receiving ECT, as a treatment. I had seen it help occasionally in my 15 years of hospital work. I was terrified of being committed to a long term care facility. The ECT left me unfunctional. I was in an acute anxiety state, due to this old school, inappropriate treatment. After 6 treatments, I was discharged immediately. I was in terrible condition. Worse than I was when admitted. Follow up care was horrible. I stuck with him hoping I would improve for 4 years. I did not. When I went in for an appointment I was told, he was leaving N. Vancouver. Which he did. His records of my treatment and progress disappeared with him. Finding a new Psychiatrist was very difficult without these clinical notes. They never were located. It took 8 years, in total, to regain my mental health. I worked with many Psychiatrists, in my 15 years in the field, and he was the worst I ever encountered. 8 years later, I saw another N. Vancouver psychiatrist, who was able to sort the medication treatment out. This Dr saved my life. Although the period, in between, was terrible I endured on. 20 years later, I am still on the meds, the other Psychiatrist prescribed and am doing well. I still suffer from periodic episodes, but very controlled. He is a very bad Psychiatrist and I'm not surprised by his poor rating. Totally unprofessional leaving me in the position I was in. He pressured my family to pressure me to have ECT, telling them Riverview was where I would be transferred if I would not accept his care plan. Words will never express the difficulties I experienced from his treatment. Expressed politely, so not to diminish this rating. He should have left this field many years ago. Charles DeMean.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2015

Mr. Schenk seemed far more interested in prescribing drugs than getting to the root of the issues through talk therapy. He showed little to no regard for the difficulties in patients lives caused by side effects of those drugs. He was pushy in getting patients to sign up for clinical trials of new, unapproved drugs, ones for which he received significant financial compensation (which coincidentally the patients recieved no money for). His behaviour reeks of self-interest and greed.

Submitted January 17, 2013