Ratings for Dr. Christine Sloss

I couldn't agree more with the previous reviews While I was able to develop a good relationship with my individual therapist (not Dr. Sloss), I came to feel very uncomfortable around Dr .Sloss during group therapy very quickly (which is a shame because I quite enjoyed it before she took over.) I found that any feedback I have regarding the therapy itself was flipped around and immediately became *my* problem. I certainly felt as if I was viewed as someone incapable of voicing any concerns, as my concerns were immediately dismissed as part of my "disorder" rather than valid. I have been on a therapy break for months now, and am much happier and have significantly more money in my bank account.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2018

Dr. Christine Sloss found an area of unmet medical need and quickly set up her practice to capitalize on this business opportunity. She hires minimally trained students to work on complex cases. She takes advantage of these students for her personal monetary gains. She over sold her services to psychiatrists in the Toronto area who are eager to download their complex cases. She got our family to financially commit by inviting us to her intake sessions and later told us that the certified psychologists are full, but her students are available at a $10 discount. The student we got tried hard but it quickly became apparent that she was over her head and got little or no support from Broadview. Our experience with Dr. Sloss and her practice was a dismal failure.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2018

This doctor should not be practicing. She lacks empathy and does not understand the patients she is supposedly treating. Some commenters have said she is tough because of the BPD demographic. Well it is possible to be tough and empathetic at the same time however with her lack of empathy she cannot possibly be effective in treating a group of people who are over sensitive to emotion and see right through her fake smiles.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

No doubt Dr. Sloss and her team will dismiss the negative reviews on this site as the expected feedback from a client population known for rigid, black and white thinking. Because of this feature of the client population treated by this clinic, you cannot really get through to these therapists. It was my experience that thoughtful self-reflection is not a particular strength of the team running this clinic. Because they are used to the extremes of thinking that are reflective of borderline personality disorder, they are dismissive of client feedback. The experiencing of feeling that your input about your own family or your own life matters so little to them is quite astonishing and invalidating. Most therapeutic approaches strive to be collaborative and more empathic. The DBT approach was developed for clients suffering from borderline personality disorder. Broadview now employs this approach to treat most of their clients. It was my impression that they may actually see all of their clients through the borderline lens whether or not the client is actually personality disordered. In fact, similar to the features of borderline personality disorder itself, it was my experience of working with Dr. Sloss and her team that their approach was excessively rigid with little to no openness to client feedback, input or needs. It was the opposite of a client centered approach. It took a long time for us to undo the damage caused by the application of a rigid, formulaic, non-collaborative, top down approach to a highly complex family situation. The approach caused much more harm than good, wasted our time and our money and increased the stress level of our family members considerably during a period of family crisis. Each clinician at Broadview receives input from a supervision team of clinicians. This makes the implementation of the treatment approach even more problematic because you end up with impressionistic groupthink approaches by people who you have never met to highly complex and nuanced family problems. This just doesn't work and the whole approach feels highly invalidating -- in fact, the client is erased because the only thing that seems to matter is fidelity to the rigid treatment model. This approach may work well for clients who actually suffer from borderline personality disorder but it could not have been less helpful for my family. We were extremely disappointed with our experience at this clinic. It is difficult to give this feedback because I do think it was their genuine intention to help. However, we ended up feeling deeply misunderstood as a family. Thankfully, we have found a very helpful therapist with no rigid fidelity to any particular treatment approach. The connection is genuine and it has been much more helpful.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

Made my issues worse . Needs to do some therapy herself and then maybe she could help others.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

HORRIBLE! Save yourself the time and agony and go somewhere else. I couldn’t agree more with the bad ratings she has.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2017

DBT is free at CAMH. Perhaps Dr. Sloss should spend more time talking about herself and more time on her clients issues. Very unprofessional.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Lacks empathy, oversells her skills and is greedy. Not only did her therapy not work, but she inflicted harm that required additional therapy with a qualified therapist. I learned the hard way that not all therapists are there to help their clients get better.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

Christine helped me make it through some dark times and showed me how to improve my life. I did the DBT program and learned how to cope better instead of hurting myself and others because my emotions felt too impossible to deal with sometimes. I learned how to tell others how I felt instead of hurting myself to hurt them or burning every bridge I had. While the negative reviews surprise me, I can understand why this program would frustrate people. Christine and her team are tough. There were times that she felt inflexible or cold and it pissed me off. But it also helped push me out of behaviours and attitudes that were ruining my life and relationships and I had to remind myself that therapy isn't fun. She (and sometimes the group leaders) put her foot down when others just let me get away with it. While I sometimes hated them for that, I also now can appreciate it. I found the group as helpful as the individual therapy. I wish I had learned these strategies sooner. Christine cares about her clients and I trust her immensely. Thank you for everything.

Submitted October 28, 2016

For the past 8 months, we have been using the therapy services of Broadview Psychology, spending countless thousands of dollars only to feel confused, insulted and unsupported by Dr. Sloss and some members of her team. Dr, Sloss has created a clinic that consists of a confusing, theoretical and impractical approach to DBT, poor communication with parents, badly trained and ineffective group facilitators, inexperienced therapists (there are some exceptions), AND the extensive use of unpaid interms (PhD candidates) to deliver high cost therapy which goes directly into Dr. Sloss's pocket. How sensitive and delightful of Dr. Sloss to talk about her family vacation to England with her 3 children, while her clients stay home trying to manage their very challenging teens with little support or tools to help them especially as they are forking out thousands of dollars a month for such absymal service. I wish I had trusted my instincts, read these reviews 6 months ago and pulled the plug before going through this nightmare for much of this past year.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2016