Ratings for Dr. Kasra Koochesfahani

I would not recommend Dr. K as a psychiatrist. He was dismissive of the issues I brought forth and put down the degree I was studying as "clearly people who choose to study this field are not quite healthy." He was also not very thorough in getting to know all of my history, how I dealt with emotions, and what I had done to this point in terms of therapy. Instead he asked very casual questions and thought himself able to make a very serious diagnosis after the first session. When I vehemently disagreed with him (I knew I did not meet the required number of criteria for the diagnosis,) and then calmly left after the session was over (while casually talking about the weather), he ran after me into the waiting room and asked if I would agree with having had that diagnosis previously and that I now was perhaps recovered. Avoid this doctor.

Submitted September 27, 2016

Consultations with Dr. K have been central to a remarkable turnaround made in my mental health over the last year. His patience and creativity in establishing a suitable regiment of treatment have been exceptional in comparison to my experiences with other practitioners in the past. Further, he has been a critical and sympathetic ally in my attempts to interface my illness with my academics, having offered referrals to other on-campus services and even writing unprompted letters of support to my faculty's administration. Having had many more disappointing experiences with other mental health professionals, I feel very privileged to be among those who have been treated by Dr. Koochesfahani.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

I agree with a previous reviewer that Dr. K has trouble responding to extreme emotional pain. I revealed an experience (sexual assault) that was clearly traumatic to me, but Dr. K only trivialized it and refused to acknowledge my feelings. In other instances as well, he reacted in ways I thought were inappropriate and borderline insulting to me. Also, he indulges in dubious Freudian concepts. Our sessions were occasionally interrupted by phone calls. I would not recommend Dr. K as a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2016

I have been getting help from Dr Kasra for almost 4 years.He basically saved my life when I was in depression.He is really caring,helpful and kind person.He was always there when I was in need of help.Because of him,I could heal,complete my school and started becoming healthy again.He is one of the best doctors I have ever seen.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Kasra for about a year and a half during which time I discussed a lot of work related and personal problems I was facing. I found him to be a highly empathetic and caring person. He is a great listener and gives helpful advise. I feel he genuinely cares about his patients as evidenced by the fact that as long as the next patient hasn't yet come in, your '45' minute appointment can keep going on! He also sends follow up messages and checks in on you if he doesn't hear back from you.....which doctor does that nowadays ? A rare quality!

flag | Submitted April 27, 2016

Life unfolds as a sequence of fulcrum points that, more often than not, go by without notice regardless of any resultant delectation or desperation. Truly formative experiences are a particular exception to inadvertent complacency; these moments afford salient connection between event and consequence. Having an opportunity to be under the care and guidance of Dr. Koochesfahani has been, without hyperbole, a singular event that will contextualize the rest of my life. I egregiously labored under the weight of mental illness through every life stage and was almost ubiquitously hamstrung to the point self-implosion. Working with Dr. K has afforded me the first glimpses of humanity, sustainable connection, and confidence in pursuing goals. He is genuinely invested in you, your treatment, and your quality of life. His inordinate medical knowledge and evidence-based approach affords you notable dexterity in the pursuit of self betterment. Dr. Koochesfahani is the platonic ideal of a mental health practitioner, anyone seeking help would exuberantly thrive under his care.

Submitted April 22, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. K for more than 1.5 years for treatment resistant depression. We had sessions almost every week. I can't even count how many times he was patiently listening to me and talking to me more than 2 hours(normally each session is supposed to be 45min) while he could spend his time doing something else. Whenever I needed help, he was always there willing to help.He is a dedicated doctor; he really cares about his patients and tries to understand what they are going through. Also, he is someone that you can trust and count on. He listens to you without judging and really tries to understand you. His treatment approach, expertise in latest treatment methods and his great personality truly saved my life. My last 1.5 years with Dr.K was a great journey with full of self-discovery, learning and motivation. Thanks to Dr.K, now I am feeling much better than before.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2016

I came to Dr. K with some heavy issues that needed working through. My issues were cumulative rather than acute, and there was no immediate danger to myself or others. I just needed to talk things out. Past experience with CAPS at U of T followed a formulaic trend of recommending CBT and meds - not at all what I was looking for. I've been working with Dr. K for over a year and he's been immensely helpful, flexible, and and humane. He helped me work through my impasse and we continue to meet for 'maintenance'. On a few occasions he's asked to move appointments to deal with more acute / emergency cases and he clearly prioritizes his patients.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2016

I do not recommend Dr. K. I came in looking for help with past sexual abuse and he actually asked me if I enjoyed it. He immediately prescribed multiple heavy medications even though I said I didn't want that. He often times was bored and took personal phone calls - once saying his "buddy" was meeting him for drinks after and he needed to plan that - so he took the call during session. He often alluded to the fact that I need to change my attitude. After six sessions, he outsourced me to a doctor way up in the north end and refused to see me again. Thanks for nothing. I have since found a psychotherapist and have been seeing this one for years now. I am now much better and living a fruitful life - no thanks to this quack.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2016

Dr. K has been instrumental in helping me to recognize and overcome some issues in my personal life. He is attentive and sympathetic, and has a unique understanding of people from all walks of life. I would recommend him to any U of T student in need of an ear and a helping hand.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015