Ratings for Dr. Ty E. Hornsby

I have gone to Dr. Hornsby for years, starting with a wisdom teeth removal in the late 90's. During his surgeries, he makes you feel very relaxed (if you are not put to sleep) and you can even listen to your own music on the stereo. Even though I now live in Greensboro, I call from time to time for a second opinion whenever a dentist recommends something pricey. All the ladies that work in the office have a warm demeanor, and that helps. I can see how he could come across as arrogant, but I see this as just informing the patient on something they no nothing about.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015

I have had 4 wisdom teeth and 2 molars extracted by Dr. Hornsby and have had nothing but good experiences with as well as his staff. He is very kind, compassionate, and caring and did not talk down to me - ever. I had no problems and did not need pain medication. I would not have anyone but Dr. Hornsby remove my teeth.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

I would agree 100% with several other opinions regarding Dr Hornsby's arrogance. I was so put off by him I elected to go else where.

Submitted November 7, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Hornsby to do an extraction of roots of a molar that had broken off at the gum line in preparation for an implant. I was presented a consent form that included possible outcomes as broken jaw, permanent nerve damage, and TMJ. I initialed all the (many) other things on the list, but left these blank and signed the form. The staff told me that the form was just to document that I had be informed of these possibilities. So I wrote "informed" for those three items. I paid the bill (required by his office before leaving) and was taken into a room to talk to Dr. Hornsby about my "concerns" with his consent form. He seemed very arrogant, and when I expressed my opinion that if any of those three occurred that he probably would have done something wrong, he told me that I should go see another dentist. I got the bill refunded and left. I would never recommend anyone go to this dentist.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2013

I had my wisdom teeth taken out. He was very caring and nice. He never talked down to me and he always made sure I understood everything he was saying. My surgery went well and I had NO complications. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2010

I had an injury to a front tooth, and as a 21 year old female, he was extremely understanding about my body image concerns. He extracted the tooth and has been very patient in explaining my options and listening to my concerns. He was matter of fact and clearly laid out my options and the concerns related to each one. I was able to make a good decision and so far I'm happy with the process (as I much as I can be given the situation). His staff is very helpful and friendly, especially Julie.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2010

He is knowledgeable & skilled, but does talk down to female patients.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2009

He is not the most pleasant man, does not have a very good bedside manor. I actually felt that he was talking down to me like I was a child.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2009

I had a tooth extracted and extremely painful complications following. Using his emergency # it took him 3 days to get back to me and he lectured me on taking care of my teeth and assumed I was over-reacting to obtain pain meds. I know I am young, and I do not have insurance so a root canal was out of the question. I had no choice but to have the tooth pulled. Dr. Hornsby did not seem to care that I was is pain, and told me to see my regular dentist if I had any other problems. I have never been spoken to so rudely before. He even called my regular dentist and told him I would be calling him for pain medication. I did go back to my regular dentist (whom I have seen for 21 years!) and his first words to me were, "Dr. Hornsby said you would be calling for pain medication.." He would not even x-ray my mouth to see what was wrong that could be causing all the pain. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2006