Ratings for Dr. Helene M. Koch

I will give credit where credit is due; Dr. Koch is very thorough, gives patients the time of day, and clinical knowledge is excellent. I can tell she has a lot of experience and is intelligent. Front desk staff, Amber, was very sweet, and PA students were also very kind and patient. I waited about 2 hours to finally see Dr. Koch. I am very patient, and this didn't bother me much. What did bother me was the passive aggressive comments that were made towards me and the bedside manner, in my opinion as a client, was very poor. I am a mental health professional, and in my work, I strongly believe in a non-judgemental approach, especially in such sensitive topics as gynecology, women's issues, and sexuality. I felt very judged by the way she responded to my response of how many sexual partners I have had. I believe this is a personal choice and I am a very safe and smart adult. She told me, "You need to make better choices". I felt insulted...and I had no problem letting her know. There is another way to express your concern about my number of partners, which is irrelevant, because what she didn't ask about was my patterns and how safe I was. You could have 1 partner, but you could get an STD if you don't protect yourself... She was nice enough to go into detail about the results of my Dexa scan (revealing mild osteopenia), and later in the appointment made a comment that "25 year olds shouldn't have osteopenia but that's from the poor choices you made when you were younger". Oh, sorry, Doctor. I didn't realize you were misinformed about eating disorders and how they are an actual disease, not a choice. Please tell me what I can do to treat my condition, not bash me for having it. Additionally, I am a woman in recovery from an ED (obviously), and I am finally at a point in my life where I am body positive. She was telling me about foods I could eat for a nutritious diet, ensuring a lot of calcium and vitamin D, and she stated, "Well, you look like you eat well." Okay, maybe I do, but just because I "look" like I eat well, doesn't mean I do. AT ALL. That comment was not okay. I think it would be helpful for her to take a refresher course in bedside manner, empathy, and mental illnesses. She told me, "I care about my patients" but these actions were a bit traumatizing to me; I am thinking about it as I work a full day with clients struggling with mental health and thinking about the stigmas like this that they face. This review is to bring awareness to the community that THIS IS NOT OKAY. Dr. Koch apologized multiple times, but there was part of me that doubted her sincerity. I will be looking at other OB-GYNs. I went here last year and was very satisfied (saw PA, Simone), but I am now very disappointed with the office and will be looking elsewhere for my yearly appointments.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

Snarky, rude, and in a hurry. When my insurance changed, she told me she "wasn't running a clinic here" and that she had to go. Funny, because I saw THREE students before her.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Koch's for several years and am very happy with her. She may be a little rough around the edges but she knows what she's talking about and that's what matters to me. Whether I'm calling in or seeing Dr. Koch in person I know that she and her staff will always put my care first and solve any problem. You may have to wait a little while when you see Dr. Koch but just remember that's because she is so THOROUGH and she'll take just as much time with you as she takes with the patients before you! I'm a very happy patient and recommend her to all of my family and friends.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2010

GIVEN TO ME IN dR.kOCH'S OFFICE.I HAD THIS INFECTION OVER A YEAR AND WAS NOT ABLE TO RID WITH ANTIBIOTICS.MY ONLY SOLUTION WAS AN OPERATION.PLEASE DO NOT VISIT IF YOU WANT YOUR LIFE.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2009

I have been to a few different gynos in the past several years and have not found one I liked until today. Dr. Koch and her staff were fantastic. They were knowledgable and friendly and made me feel extremely comfortable. The wait was a little long, but Dr. Koch was extremely apologetic and explained that a lunch conference had gone long (and I have heard from other patients that a long wait is unusual there). I was able to get an appointment for a week after I called, which is unheard of around where I live. I highly recommend Dr. Koch.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2009

These comments are coming from a person that is extremely nervous and wary of any doctors. I had not been to a doctor of any kind for 15 years when I went to Dr.K. I was almost put off by the long wait but intelligently deducted that this was because she was very much in demand and not from poor scheduling. After my first visit I also realized that the wait often occurs because she takes as much time that is needed with each patient and unlike so many of my previous experiences does not treat people as numbers on a chart (hence the reason for my distate of doctors). She was wonderful, respectful, knowlegable and highly professional (who needs a great bedside manner when you know you can put your life in a doctors capable hands)I have been seeing her regularly for over 10 years and she still is the ONLY doctor I see. BTW...she saved my life!!!Thank you HK ...you are the BEST!!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2009

I am a physician myself (still in residency), and Helene Koch is absolutely the rudest, most unprofessional physician I have ever met. Wish I read this site before my appointment! I went for a routine pap smear, she slammed my legs open twice, was very rough, talked down to me, yelled at me because I wanted yeast cultures done, and tried to force Wellbutrin on me because I admitted I was tired on her little depression screening! Who isn't tired?!? When I refused, she just kept insisting it was a safe medication and became nastier. Unbelievable! She didn't even ask if it was okay that her Physician Assistant student stay in the room during the exam. I would NEVER EVER see this horrible woman again and really want to warn all women to stay away from her. Absolutely the worst physician interaction I've experienced, and I see from other posts that I am not the only one. This is a business, you need to show your patients a little more courtesy and respect!

flag | Submitted March 17, 2009

NOT suggested for younger girls. I am 19 and I went to her office hoping to be informed and made comfortable but after an 1 1/2 wait she lectured at me and spent no time making me comfortable. at my second exam she told me my pap was unclear and gave me a prescription for a vaginal cream without informing me at all how to use it or that it would be $300. when I returned, the exam was so painful and she treated me as though it were my fault that the last was unclear. for whatever erason my mother loves her because she is "blunt" but I find her rude and I always leave her office confused as to what just happened.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

I think this doctor is a monster...I am a 41 year old woman.(with 2 births) And her pap test "HURT" I am a nurse and he bedside manor SUCKS too. She told me I did not have any of the other dx that my previous doctor told me.(stopped going because I moved)..She did a procedure in her office that should have been preformed in a hospital O.R. Yes she does push certian drugs and I'm sure she gets a kick back. Her N.P. Karassia is wondeful I feel sorry for her working there. I had a vaginal ultrasound AFTER the hysterscope??? The woman at the ultrasound place was more gental than she is....If your into pain and being talked to like your a dog then go there...I am going back to my old doctor who is 45 mins away! I wonder if she has even has hospital privledges anywhere..I just want my hysterectomy and she was PISSED that I didn't want her to continue to treat me medically..She would not be the one preforming the surgery???? I DON'T think so

flag | Submitted February 5, 2009

Upon my initial visit I found the staff with the exception of the PA Katjya (sp?), very unhelpful, rude, or just plain unprofessional. The office - unkempt and dirty. One of my visits they were so disorganized they had me move from exam room to exam room, to eventually put me in a room that hadn't been cleaned after the previous patient. Swabs, paper, wrappers all over the room. Punctuality - terrible. Waited for 2 hours in exam room on numerous occasions, including a rather nerve-racking procedure, only to keep getting interrupted by the staff (wishing it was time to get it over with,) to grab something from my exam room. Office setup - small, and you can hear everything going on in other rooms/hallways pretty clearly. At one point I heard the nurse complain that she "didn't feel like it" when asked to help assist in my follow up visit at the time. Nurse - extremely moody and terrible bedside manner. Dr. Koch - I liked. Thought she was a little rough and abrasive but overall OK.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2009

Dr. Helene M. Koch's Credentials

• Philadelphia College Of Osteopathic Medicine (Grad. 1990)

Commercial Insurance Company