Ratings for Dr. Timothy Steel

A year on from my operation and things are going really well! I just wanted to say thank you again for making the last year pain free!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

Dr Steel is incredibly thoughtful, sincere and helpful. He explained everything, recommended a course of action but had alternative plans if things did not go according to plan. Would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2018

I was admitted to the Neurosurgical Unit of St Vincent’s Hospital on 20 February 2014 the day I sustained a severe TBI at Randwick. On a curtesy visit to the management team at Acute care in 2017, they all said the same, I thought you were going to die! My survival brought many positive comments from many medicos. Dr Timothy Steel was the marvellously skilled surgeon who saved my life and delivered me from a wheelchair condition to walking again later in 2014 and I am called the walking miracle by many people in my area.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2018

Not a day goes by without me remembering how you have changed my life! It's been 2 years and I am so grateful! When People ask me how my back is, my reply is Remarkable! Amazing! I am so fortunate!

flag | Submitted September 2, 2018

I wish I knew what I know now... Would have gone elsewhere

flag | Submitted September 1, 2018

Dr Steel (and team), I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your clinical expertise, your professionalism, your kindness and generosity. Suffering from a degenerative spinal disc disorder, over the years you have repeatedly assisted to reduce my pain. As a consequence, you have given me the opportunity for a much better quality of life. For some, there are options other than surgery however, I am so grateful that you have performed my surgeries (with great success) and frankly I would not wish to have any other practitioner deal with my spinal issues. It is with immense gratitude that I thank you for all that you have done for me. Sonia Marques

flag | Submitted August 23, 2018

I have had 3 spinal surgeries with Dr Steel. I’m sorry to say it has been the worst experience of my life with him. I was actually worse after my surgeries. This is after suffering SEVERELY for 8+ years. I have now found a place called Quantum Pain Management in Castle Hill where they do laser therapy for your nerves and arthritis and help with surgeries that have not worked. I have had more relief and no pain from laser therapy than any of the surgeries that I have had. So I would highly recommend that you explore this place first before you even consider surgery.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2018

After my accident 14 years ago my neurosurgeon Tim Steel from St Vincents Hospital Sydney gave me a much needed decompression on my lumbar spine which worked a treat. After the birth of my daughter 3 years later things seemed to have moved my spine around again. I had a new born, severe sciatica and back pain which was some what challenging. I was living on the Gold Coast at the time and going to multiple doctors/surgeons which all told me told me I needed surgery again. I was told they could go through my stomach this time arrrrhhhhh!, um single mother with bubba I dont think so! I decided to rehabilitate myself with Physio, swimming, Pilates mat & Reformer classes which lead me to becoming a Pilates instructor & opening Good Vibes Pilates & Yoga 5 years ago. I managed to avoid surgery for 11 years by staying fit & strong through my core. I had a quite few steroid /nerve root block injections into my spine each year which helped me until recently they stopped working. The pain became so unbearable along with my leg and foot increasingly numb. For he past 4 months I have had to resort to crazy amounts of nerve numbing medications and pain killers etc….me no like! I was told if I was to have the surgery again due to scare tissue around my nerve that the complications could leave me with nerve damage for the rest of my life which is complete numbness through my leg and foot forever. A fortnight ago I few to Sydney to meet with Tim Steel again. He explained my surgery to me in full detail and made me feel confident that I was in the right hands again. Monday morning I had the surgery ! By early evening I was awake and told by his team the surgery was a success! Not that I really remember talking to anyone, I could have sworn I was at a party with Madonna & Keith Richards.... Turns out Tim had done a L5/S1 decompression + microdiscectomy + S1 rhizolysis + steroid infection into the nerve because it was so swollen. My nerve is now free as a bird! The next morning I got up with all sorts of things attatched to me, I said to the nurse “I’m not doing that bed pan story”. They couldn’t believe I was up shuffling around so early after surgery, some what pleased with myself of course lol. The Physio said this was all due to years of Pilates even though the medication and lack of cardio had made me chub up, I still have my core strength yay. I flew back 5 days after which was maybe a little early, hence descending wasn’t easy and wow was I sore. The police escorting me through Sydney airport in a wheelchair and then getting forklifted off the plane was pretty funny. It’s been two weeks this Monday since my surgery, I feel like I've been kicked by horses and still numb but this will all calm down in time. I went back to work last Monday which did my mind a world of good. Keep moving I say! I’m starting to feel myself again mentally and physically by slowly healing and comming off all those crazy meds. I have been so blessed by the outcome! I am so very thankful to Tim Steel, his team and the fabulous nurses at St Vincents hospital. Thank you to all my crazy clients/friends and family for putting up with me and helping through this boring time. I’m sorry if I haven’t returned your calls, I can’t talk about it all again it just wears me out hehe who would have thought.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2018

I came to Dr Steel having already seen two surgeons who indicated I would be forced to have a posterior fusion of L5/S1 having had crippling degenerative disease and increasing pain over 18 months. I was told I would never run successfully again with little care as to the importance of being able to not only move without pain, but to move fully as a 37 year old elite athlete and two time Olympian. Dr Steel brought my initial appointment forward with great thanks having read my file and in that appointment immediately identified what would remove the pain and the two options available to me, being Anterior Interbody Fusion and a complete Artificial Disc Replacement. He was very clear with me the risks and opportunities with each and having decided to follow the disc replacement path, he complete the successful operation on May 24th, 2018. It is now 2nd August, 2018 and I started running again two weeks ago. I have been back in the gym from week 4 post op and was restricted from activity for only a few days. I was walking normally within 3 days, walking 5km a day within two weeks and have absolutely ZERO pain. I am now doing stair sprints already and will be snow skiing with my family in another two weeks. Fast forward another couple of months and I expect to be back to sprinting, which I love. I am already lifting relatively heavy weights for most exercises. I don't do heavy spinal loads and probably won't anyway as I don't need to and it's obvious muscles become too strong for the discs at some point. I am doing single leg smith machine squats with 50kg already, which is light for me but astonishing given the timeframe from my operation. I feel truly amazing. Sneezing for the first time without dropping to my knees in pain was a truly exceptional experience. Dr Steel has honestly given me my life back and my future life as well I think there are times when you should obviously try everyone to not have surgery, but there are also times when it is clear there is no other option. I greatly value Dr Steel in quickly identifying that in my condition, simply "putting up with the pain" was not necessary and there was not road out of the condition. I would also like to thank his team and office staff, who are excellent and extremely helpful. I might only have starting jogging but I shocked my son the other day when I ran past him, which I hadn't done for almost a year. Seeing his face of delight is worth everything. I am so very grateful.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2018

Dear Dr STEEL and team , A million thanks and continual gratitude! At almost 18 months after surgery and the joy and appreciation of walking as Well as swimming, running, yoga and sensible (really!) Gym never lessens. Amazing! With deepest regards and best wishes Lou Lou Stanley and family

flag | Submitted July 20, 2018