Ratings for Dr. Stanley G. Korenman

If you're transgender and seeking endocrine care, avoid this doctor. He is not familiar with current standards for treatment of transgender people and is not open to hearing about them or learning about them. His staff who are not well-trained to address trans people correctly and overall your visits will be quite stressful.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

I too saw this man back in January of 2006 and left frustrated and angry. I basically got a shrug of the shoulders as to what was causing my health issues- no further tests or suggestions, just an "I don't know the problem is". He also wrote completely incorrect information in my records. I have a copy of the consultation report he sent my primary physician (I just found it in my records and reread it, hence the late review) and it said I was divorced when at the time I was engaged to be married and had not had a previous marriage or divorce. The report to my doctor also stated a vague plan of action which he did not mention to me at all. He was just terrible and unconcerned.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

If you are looking for knowledgeable and understanding TRANSGENDER care, you will NOT find it here. This doctor made several highly inappropriate statements, including asking me about my sexual practices "out of curiosity," noting that there was no medical reason he needed to know. It was so obscene that it was hard to believe this was actually happening. This doctor is completely unfit to work with trans people.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2011

Thank heavens for freedom speech and not keeping things secret. I'm glad that patients finally have a forum to recount their experiences so that other patients can avoid pitfalls.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2010

Dr. Korenman is one of the most knowledgeable and seasoned physicians I have ever encountered. He is often entrusted with the most challenging diagnostic cases, many of which lie at the crossroads of endocrine and neuropsychiatric conditions. Being an excellent physician is about making the right calls and telling patients the truth, even if they don't necessarily like hearing it. It is not a popularity contest. Dr. Korenman is ethical, experienced, and honest. I would trust him with my life. Many of the prior comments on this page are inappropriate and should be deleted.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2010

I blame Dr. Korenman for causing my breast cancer by prescribing growth hormone and testosterone in excess. He later denied giving me these hormones. When I saw another endocrinologist at UCLA I mentioned this and was told there was no mention of Dr. Korenman giving me all these prescriptions. I question how he was ever on the board of ethics. He should lose his license, but I'm afraid he has already harmed too many people.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2009

After waiting 2 months for an appointment and an hour in the office, he dismissed my symptoms as "untreated depression" even though I was having obvious physical thyroid symptoms and the tests for my thyroid came back positive for a thyroid disorder. He told me there was "absolutely nothing wrong with me." I walked out of his office crying. Doesn't return phone calls or e-mails. Also, he coded my insurance bill wrong and now the insurance is REFUSING to cover any of amount of the visit. I would never recommend going to see him.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2008

I agree with the previous two comments. He was distracted, dismissive and obviously not interested in what I had to say. After I received a prescription from him, he said that he didn't speak to patients on the telephone, so if I had any questions or problems I should email him. I emailed Dr. Korenman when I had a serious side effect and he didn't reply for 2 weeks (my primary care doctor intervened with my care). When he did answer my email he only said, "keep up the good work." That didn't even make sense or relate to the problem I was having. Luckily my primary care physician referred me to another Endocrinologist at UCLA who has great, diagnosed my illness and gave me the appropriate medication. I don't know how Dr. Korenman holds his position at UCLA. Avoid this doctor, he is dangerous.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2007

Avoid this man at all costs! He is senior faculty at UCLA and can't diagnose OBVIOUS problems..ironically, he heads UCLA's medical ethics board. He prejudices other doctors at UCLA about your case by saying you're "plenty normal" to you by email, then putting in snide comments in your consult records that are then available online for other doctors at UCLA to see. He puts in your permanent records whatever he wants to hear..often the opposite of what you said..he asked me if I was sexually active..I said "yes"..he wrote down "no". You probably take your life in your hands if you see him..it's clear he DISLIKES women and tells other men nasty jokes that downgrade women...e.g.at lunch. I complained to the UCLA patient rep in writing, fully documenting my case, waited a month, then heard..nothing. I offerred to come in person to go over my complaint, but was politely told, "get lost". Another woman and I are filing a formal complaint with the California State Medical Board..anyone else?

flag | Submitted October 4, 2006

This man is in his 70's and is no longer, if ever, capable of adequately diagnosing and treating endocrine problems. He also is contemptuous of women patients. If anything, he inpedes correct diagnosis and seems to assume that endocrine problems are psychiatric .

flag | Submitted September 5, 2006

Dr. Stanley G. Korenman's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1999)