Ratings for Dr. Thomas Lau

He seems to be nice but he is not actually. He tries to avoid dealing with patients but he does it in a subtle way that you won't notice it unless you think about it. First, for the price that he charges ($120), he should be the one who put the eye drops into the patients' eyes (before doing the eye exam and for wearing the contact lenses afterwards) instead of letting the receptionist to do the task. The receptionist should only be responsible for the receptionist's duties. Second, he ignores your concerns by remaining silent, so you need to ask him again in order to for him to explain your concerns to you. However, he gave me some vague answers for my concerns that I don't really understand. I went to see him because I think my eyes have problems, but he just told me twice that my eyes are 'beautiful,' and that taking the eye exam once a year would be fine. My eyes are beautiful? What a weird thing for an optometrist to say to a patient. What he said just made me worry more about my eyes. If my eyes are really that 'beautiful,' then I don't need to take the eye exam every year. All he cares about is your money. Do you know what I mean? Third, he tries to do the eye exam quickly so he can get you out as soon as he can; he won't have time for you to ask questions nor discussing your concerns. Obviously, he doesn't want to spend much time with patients; the exam only takes 15-20 mins but when I made the appointment on the phone, the receptionist told me the exam would be an hour. I asked the receptionist after the exam why the exam was shorter and she said, "Yeah, it's short. You came here before so it can be shorter too." It doesn't make sense. I have not seen the optometrist for a very long time. Does that mean I should be charge less because the exam was shortened? You can see how he doesn't want to deal with patients actually. He looks like a good optometrist but he is not; he cares more about your money than your concerns for your eyes. For that price, I would go to another optometrist instead.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2016

Patient's update
He seems to be nice but he is not actually. He tries to avoid dealing with patients but he does it in a subtle way that you won't notice it unless you think about it. First, for the price that he charges ($120), he should be the one who put the eye drops into the patients' eyes (before doing the eye exam and for wearing the contact lenses afterwards) instead of letting the receptionist to do the task. The receptionist should only be responsible for the receptionist's duties. Second, he ignores your concerns by remaining silent, so you need to ask him again in order to for him to explain your concerns to you. However, he gave me some vague answers for my concerns that I don't really understand. I went to see him because I think my eyes have problems, but he just told me twice that my eyes are 'beautiful,' and that taking the eye exam once a year would be fine. My eyes are beautiful? What a weird thing for an optometrist to say to a patient. What he said just made me worry more about my eyes. If my eyes are really that 'beautiful,' then I don't need to take the eye exam every year. All he cares about is your money. Do you know what I mean? Third, he tries to do the eye exam quickly so he can get you out as soon as he can; he won't have time for you to ask questions nor discussing your concerns. Obviously, he doesn't want to spend much time with patients; the exam only takes 15-20 mins but when I made the appointment on the phone, the receptionist told me the exam would be an hour. I asked the receptionist after the exam why the exam was shorter and she said, "Yeah, it's short. Anyway, the exam is done now. You came here before so it can be shorter too." What an attitude. It doesn't make sense. I have not seen the optometrist for a very long time. Does that mean I should be charge less because the exam was shortened? You can see how he doesn't want to deal with patients actually. He looks like a good optometrist but he is not; he cares more about your money than your concerns for your eyes. For that price, I would go to another optometrist instead.

Submitted December 5, 2016

Excellent optometrist , explains things thoroughly very helpful and kind, would definitely recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

Excellent optometrist, explains things in detail very happy with service.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2013

I've been going to Dr. Lau since I was 9 years old (16 years+) and he has never been anything but kind and professional to my family and I. I was diagnosed with something particular once (Multiple Evanescent White Dot Syndrome) and he quickly referred me to a specialist. The wait is sometimes a bit longer than desired but overall, Dr. Lau is a great optometrist and I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2012