Ratings for Dr. Helen Mesaros

Behaves in a very paternalistic manner (telling you what is wrong after only a couple of minutes - not a two way conversation), has told me for months we would be talking to address issues but only seems to want to prescribe medication, does not go over medication side effects or explain to me what the mediation, writes prescriptions without enough detail so that pharmacists refuse to fill them (and then blames me for it). I left a message on her machine to cancel and appointment and then called the front desk staff to cancel the appointment and specifically asked them to let her know (because I knew she would not check her machine). They did not let me know, she blamed me for it and told me she would give me 'another chance' and didn't listen when I explained that I had called the front desk (I had done nothing wrong, I did all I could do). I feel treated like a child, and then has told me things about my heart palpitations that are directly counter what my cardiologist has told me. She takes away your agency to be involved in your own medical care. The medications prescribed have been helpful, but the experience unpleasant and demeaning.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2018

I find Dr. Messi's very insightful. She is practical in her advice when need be. She shares theories and is not condescending. There is mutual respect. I appreciate what she has done for me.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2018

Dr Mesaros is a horrendous doctor. She double and triple books people if they've cancelled a previous appointment. She doesn't renew prescriptions on time and lets people go days without their medications if they are unable to see her. She judges people based on looks and weight. She also shares other patients stories with you.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2017

Doctor Mesaros is horrible. She yelled at me for missing an appointment when a family member died. She got mad when I missed appointments even though I called to cancel them. She just never checks her messages.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

She's one of the worst doctors i've seen. She's distant, rushes you, judgmental, talks down to you. Doesn't make you feel welcome. Makes you feel like just a number.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

I've seen a number of psychiatrists and psychologists and I've never been helped until Dr. Mesaros. No she does not return calls, not sure why, but she's not hard to reach. I think it was just a great match. Her approach is less "what do you think" than "this is what I think", but I prefer that, as she's the doctor. I will be sad when she retires.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2016

Does not like to discuss opinions other than her own and likes to use her authority to to get compliance. I felt like a number put into the hospital statistics

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

I saw Dr. Mesaros monthly for a couple of years. In my limited experience with psychiatrists I thought she was excellent. Her simplicity and common sense were reassuring. She saw me through my transition from illness to remission. I'm happier for the experience.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

I have had nothing but a wonderful experience with Dr. Mesaros. She is kind and giving and truly goes out of her way to spend the time with you. She is "old school" in that she doesn't really do answering machines or use any type of technology. I find this endearing. I would highly recommend her. She is a very unique Psychiatrist-very accessible in a profession that is often stereotyped as "cold" or "distant" from the patient.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2014

I found she does not return calls which was frustrating for her patients.Also, she was not very thorough with her discharge planning. When I was discharged from her care, she did not provide me with the proper medical information to ensure that I maintained good health.This was very concerning and frustrating. I was discharged from her care without any information on my aftercare and whether my current medication should continue or even a follow-up note sent to GP to advise them as to what would be the follow-up to ensure my continue good health.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2013