Ratings for Dr. Julie Ann M. Van Koughnett

She wasn't too helpful in explaining the cons of my colostomy. I have an SCI and I am worse off after the colostomy. Here's hoping I can get it reversed. I have a partial cervical spinal cord break at C4, C5 and C6. Fused from C2 to C7. Here's some info on neurological bowels. https://www.archives-pmr.org/article/S0003-9993(97)90416-0/pdf I didn't know what questions to ask. Now I do...about mucus and why I must use a suppository 2 to 3 times in a row, why does mucus stay in my rrectum causing irritation and pain, Pain in an SCI patient causes muscle tone. So much stiffness it's impossible to do the functions I did before the surgery.. What do we do with a prolapsed stoma? Just didn't know the right questions to ask before surgery. No info on the web for SCI and colostomies.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2018

I am lucky that Dr Julie Ann Van Koughnett now works at University Hospital, London Ontario. She performed my first colonoscopy, and had the task of telling me that I probably had cancer. I did. I went on to cancer treatment, and she performed my abdominal resection surgery. I was not lucky enough to avoid a colostomy, but Dr Julie was very sensitive about this with me. She understood my sadness, and has helped me come to accept it. She was able to get good margins for the removal of my tumour - likely all the cancer. I have had issues since the surgery with a chronic rectal incision not closing, because of the radiation damaging that tissue. She has been very empathetic and diligent about trying everything she can do to get my wound to close. She never gives up trying. Dr Julie's bedside manner is lovely. She is not full of herself (so many doctors are), she explains things well, has a great sense of humour, and always demonstrates respect for her patients. She is quite knowledgeable about treatment of colorectal problems, and never makes me feel rushed, no matter how many questions I have. After my cancer treatments were finished, I asked Dr Julie to take on my cancer surveillance because I feel a connection to her, and I know she will do a good job. I consider myself very fortunate to have her as a surgeon.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018