Ratings for Dr. Karen C. Alleyne

3 stars for staff since the answering service is the absolute worst but the staff who work in the office are pretty good. I don't have any complaints for the Dr. except find a new answering service. I have yet to find a psychiatrist that always has a less than 5 minute wait and thoroughly answers all questions in a very easy way to understand. Overall good but it is so hard to get an emergency taken care of unless her assistant is available to take the message before the answering service does.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2015

My actual appointment with Dr. Alleyne was great. She's a good listener, and wasn't judgmental or weird about my history. The main problem with Dr. Alleyne is that she is literally unreachable. I have been having an emergency with one of my medications. Not an ER type emergency, but a "I have a few questions, can we adjust this, my anxiety is out of control and I kind of cried in front of my boss." kind of emergency. Various staff have been "leaving messages" for two days. I've called during hours when the office is supposed to be open, and times when it's not. The staff apparently have no other way to reach her? This seems very irresponsible.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

She writes notes and prescriptions, but doesn't say anything more than a mumbled sentence. She doesn't seem interested in talking, just writing RXs. I've been waiting well over a week for her to sign a prescription request from my pharmacist because she won't just call in the RX. She should hold herself to higher standards. After I get this filled, I won't be seeing her again. She also told me I don't look like the type of person to abuse drugs. As a licensed doctor, you'd think she'd know there is no type. I'm fed up with her and the staff. Included along them is a very kind old man who's in charge of the front desk but doesn't really know how to use their technology. I strongly recommend finding another therapist or psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2014

flag | Submitted August 17, 2014

I appreciate a doctor who doesn't make helping her patients feel like a burden, knows what they are talking about and can explain medical stuff to me in laymen terms. I have been seeing Dr. Alleyne for over 3 years. I don't even live in Silver Spring but it is SO worth it to be able to see her every month. She even offered to me longer follow up appointments to allow enough time for talk therapy and medication check in one visit. I was very impressed by that offer considering the high volume of patients that she sees!

flag | Submitted July 1, 2014

Very pleased with the doctor although it is very hard to get an appointment since the majority of her time is spent working at a hospital in DC. The doctor didn't make me feel rushed like other therapists/psychiatrists and she seemed genuine so overall pretty good.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2013

Worse doctor and staff ever - there are so many things wrong, it's hard to know where to start. The most recent transgression is that I've been trying to get a prescription filled for nearly two weeks. I called twice. The pharmacy faxed four times. Still, there has been no response. This happens often. It takes weeks to make an appointment, and if you are lucky enough to see the doctor, you might as well have just talked to a wall. She provides no insights...nothing. She acts like an overrated pill dispenser and not a very good one.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2013

Very caring, thorough and knowledgeable doctor. Also, reception staff is friendly and helpful. Office atmosphere very soothing.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2012

Finally a psychiatrist who actually LISTENS. Very attentive and provided me with much information regarding my mental illness. It took me about a week to get used to the meds she prescribed for me but now that I have no side effects, I feel much better with the meds than without.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2012

Very professional, calm review of my situation. Attentive. Repeatedly asked if I had questions. Honest, direct answers. Accommodating with my schedule.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2012

Dr. Karen C. Alleyne's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Med Sch, Newark Nj 07103 (Grad. 1976)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Silver Spring, MD