Ratings for Dr. Richard L. Stokes

I thought Dr. Stokes had the worst bedside manner ever. I was concerned with bleeding while pregnant and when he checked me, I yelled in pain...To which he replied, "Is your boyfriend smaller than my finger?" He does have strong views on circumcision, his face is taped to male stripper bodies on the ceiling, and overall I found him in a hurry to get me out of the door. I was told I needed to induce my labor due to it being a scheduling conflict for him when I was due. His office staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

Dr. Stokes is the best! Delivered both my children and cares deeply about his patients. You must have a sense of humor!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

I also found his humor distasteful and inappropriate. I wouldn't consider myself uptight I just don't think a cutout photo of your face attached to the body of a nearly naked male model taped above the exam table is funny when you're asking me to scoot down a little farther. After performing my son's circumcision he came into my room to tell me how it had gone. I expressed relief as I was on the fence about circumcision but my husband was strongly for it. He went on and on about how it is mutilation and cruel, my husband was not in the room at the time. Nice going Dr. Stokes, I was exhausted after 29 hours of labor and dealing with all the first time mom issues and you add guilt. What a jerk!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

Dr.Stokes is the BEST. I started going to him in my mid 30s and after my examination, I went into his office and we chatted about my family history since he was trying to get a baseline of my health. Anyway, I told him that my grand mother died of colon cancer and he recommended that I go get a colonoscopy(sp)but I told him that my PRIMARY Doctor told me that I was too young and I need to go at age 50. He stated that I should go ahead since it runs in my family. Well, I took his advice and went and found out that I had three polyps and one was pre-cancerous. Had I waited to age 50, like my PRIMARY doctor advised, I could have been dead or have developed cancer. If you tell him any problems that you are having, he LISTENS and make sure you get tested to ensure that your health is not at risk. HE's the BEST DOCTOR that I've ever had and I hate to see him RETIRE!

flag | Submitted January 3, 2014

I have to agree that dr stokes is not a good doctor at all. after i was dismissed as a patient there due to a money situation i was glad i didn't go there.i just found him not to be to friendly or helpful as an OB and i didn't like his comment when i said i wanted my son circumcised.for the couple of short vist i had with him i am also surprised he is so liked as an OB/GYN.i recommend NOT going to DR RICHARD STOKES!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2012

I don't mind his jokes and comments. It makes me more comfortable to talk to him about things I wouldn't tell other doctors. I took my daughters to him as well, his jokes made them much less anxious. Not for the uptight.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2011

Had both Stokes and Jones. Dr Stokes is brash and silly but LOVES his patients. If you are at all uptight find a new Dr! He cares and was the only Dr to make sure I was seen when i was very ill with an unrelated issue. he thought it was insane I could not be seen by a gastro for 3 months so he got on the phone and got me in later that day! I am now diagnosed with UC and doing better. Thank God for Dr's like Stokes.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2011

I have read the other comments on Dr. Stokes and I am sad to see so many unhappy patients. However, I am not one. I have had several procedures performed under Dr. Stokes and he has been great to me. He made sure to check on me post surgery everyday. He reminds me of the doctor known as "House" on the TV series. He is one of the absolute best OB/GYN pysicians around. Yes, he can be less than nicey nicey and his jokes are over the top, ok way over the top, but he is a great doctor. He does take the time to answer questions when needed. If your looking for someone to hold your hand and stroke your feelings you are at the wrong place. If you can accept him with his personality flaws(if you judge him to that extent) be comforted that you have a great doctor caring for you and your baby.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2010

There are almost no words to describe how awful this man is. The reason he is only delivering in one hospital is because he has been banned by the other ones due to complaints and behavior. From personal experience I hope I never see him again. He was inappropriate, rude and scary. He made **** jokes when he found out my husband was Korean and I refused to let him deliver my baby. When he came to check me post partem he asked if we were circumcising my son and then said it wasn't traditional in England (where I am from) or Korea and therefore he was not going to perform the "barbaric act". My son is American and it was our decision! My new OB GYN told me he had been banned from delivering most places and some more horror stories about him. I've seriously considered suing from the experiences I had with him and Dr Jones. Please stay away!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2010

I give Dr. Stokes a top notch rating, I have been going to him for years and he has been a pleasure to see weekly during my current pregnancy! I love his staff and always feel like the #1 priority when I am with him. Some might find his comments and jokes offensive but I have never found him to be unprofessional or crude during any examination. I am not a fan of Dr. Jones however and will unfortunately be leaving the practice when Dr. Stokes retires!

flag | Submitted June 30, 2010

Dr. Richard L. Stokes's Credentials

• Howard University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1969)

MB Health