Ratings for Dr. Debbie Sookman

There are too few specialists in OCD and this disorder is curable for some people in the hands of a specialist. Anyone who says you have to learn to cope and thats the best you can hope for is selling patients short and shame on them. A psychiatrst who advises otherwise in my opinion either is not up oncutting edge research or does not know ocd or does not think the patient has it. I had severe ocd and I am now literally symptom free after seeing Dr Sookman. I gave it the time, I tried, this expert knows and does what noone else I met knew or did. This does not mean never having a thought you don't want to have. It means no rituals in head or behavior and learning a lot of new skills. Its true no one doctor can help everyone, but see for yourself. I believe Dr Sookman is really exceptional if OCD or rated is what you have. I am very grateful.

Submitted June 25, 2017

Stay away. I tried to see her even though my psychiatrist didn't recommendation it and it was not helpful at all. I find the positive comments here surprising. Using words like "recovered " and "symptom free" after seeing her seems fishy. You learn to deal with OCD, It doesn't go away. If she helps some people - great, My experience tells me to stay away.

Submitted June 24, 2017

Best I have ever seen!!!!! I came from the US to see Dr Sookman, and she is absolutely top, understood problems no one else got and knew what to do. Best trip I ever made in my llife, gave me my life back and gave my family me back. If you are lucky enough to see her, grab the chance.

Submitted June 18, 2017

Dr Sookman called us a few days after Sarah my daughter was referred to her. My teenage daughter was not seeing any other professional and was not able to go to school and stayed in her bed because of severe OCD. Sarah refused at first to go to an appointment. Dr. Sookman called us several times just to speak to my daughter on the phone. Sarah then went to an appointment because of the conversation and were so grateful. Dr Sookman was so caring, knew exactly how to help, spent a lot of time with us. My daughter is now symptom free. I believe that Dr. Sookman is the best specialist and humanitarian there is. She gave me my daughter back and gave my daughter a healthy future. I am a religious person, and I prayed that we would find the right help. And we did with this terrific expert.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

I was seen by Debbie Sookman in combination with one of her interns for about a year. While I would love to say that she had good intentions because I do think she had them I think that her practice would benefit more if they integrated visions of psychology that understood intersectional approaches to identity. I stayed for a long time because I felt like I wouldn't have another opportunity to work with someone specialized in OCD, but frankly, I always felt uncomfortable and belittled when I saw her. My OCD actually got worse. I know that therapy is meant to be uncomfortable and you need those moments to push through, but it felt more like blaming rather than something more productive. I know I may not have been an ideal patient or as cooperative as I perhaps should have been, but I also would have liked to see her and her intern be more open to criticism and not just turn it on me. There's reflections on both sides. On what the person below commented, I was supposed to change interns last time I saw her 4 months ago, but I never heard back. As a patient I like to know that my doctor is reliable and unfortunately that wasn't the case. I am happy to hear that other people have found her approaches successful, and I respect that, but I on the other hand will definitely seek someone else.

Submitted November 11, 2016

My son has OCD. He was referred to Dr. Sookman almost 1 year ago. Since he was turning 18, his papers were transferred from the Glensite Hospital (Children's) to OCD clinic. My son's doctor and social worker tried tirelessly to contact her for over 2 months just to get a response as to when she foresaw seeing him. They never received any news. Not a phone call, not a fax. Nothing! As a mom, I also tried persistently to get in touch with the doctor, having left up until today at least 15 messages. NEVER a call back! (Please note that in between, my son was still being seen by professionals at the Glen, although they do not specialize in OCD.) My son tried also tried calling, and leaving messages. Finally after a 7 month long wait, she called him and asked him to have his hospital card ready because he was NEXT on her list. This was about ONE MONTH ago!!! Nor a follow-up call, nor an official appointment since that day!! She has 3 phone numbers on file! Out of desperation, my son went to her office personally to explain that he cannot function and needed to know if he really is next on her list. The receptionist couldn't do anything to help, since apparently she doesn't take or return any calls. Dr. Sookman does this. Obviously we will be taking measures for my son to meet with another OCD specialist today. Dr. Sookman, how does a person in the health field just ignore 15 messages over the course of 8 months; promise a person in distress that he will be scheduled shortly- show absolutely not concern and compassion when that person leaves school, makes his way to your office and demonstrate not one sign of acknowledgement towards his desperate cry to be helped by you? Supposedly you are one of the most well-versed health care professionals on the topic of OCD? Perhaps so, but you lack empathy, compassion, organization, and common sense!! SHAME ON YOU!

Submitted November 9, 2016

Dr Sookman is a wonderful OCD expert, so knowledgeable, kind, and knew what my son needed to get better. She's so generous with her time, modeled how to get over fears, and helped me to help my son who got really sick after his father passed away. She's one in a million.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2016

I was very sick when i saw dr sookman and now i am much better and i think she is awesome. Whoever does nasty ratings has the eye sight and diagnostic of a fruit fly. Neurosurgeons dont have parkinsons and ocd experts dont have ocd. Anyone who hAs been in therapy with dr sookman knows that. I was so sick i could not do anything myself because i thought everythig was dirty and disgusting. Dr sookman t every step first that helpedme get over my fears and do it too. I am well because of her and i am one in the huge thank you bucket. Doctors dont get their info from the web and dont look at these websites. Rate md is a disreputable site, without security. Anyone can get in, not only grateful patients like me but si ck people who have never been treated by this doctor. There are a few disappointed people like in any field but there are more sick people with no life who make up stories on the web. If you are lucky to be treated by dr sookman youll see. If rate md was an airport i am scared of what could happen.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2016

Brilliantly competent expert, very understanding, helped me more than I can say. I was seen twice weekly under medicare. btw, I am just an accounting clerk, but if a doctor sees one member of your family who is the OCD patient, and you ask that receipts be made in other family names most doctors will refuse. Thank goodness for Dr Sookman!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2016

Stay away from her at all costs. She has no compassion and all she cares about is money. Oh, and if you are a parent and have a question for her, if your 40 mins runs out, she'll tell you you can ask your question at the next session. Oh, and when I asked for my receipts, she ignored me and never provided them. A call to the Ordre des Psychologistes or CRA may be in order. She also did not do anything to help my child. Do yourself a favor and find someone else.

Submitted April 24, 2016