Ratings for Dr. James M. Mok

I wanted to let you now . you are the best dr, now and in the future of this country very professional kind , humility and so clear about how you explain about the condition. How care before and after the surgery. Im suffer for devastating pain for one year with medication to the strong one , and other condition to my body suffer for how bad my neck are. Now I no need any for that. Thank you no is inof . My blessing is a honor to be your patient.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

Dr. Mok finally gave me an explanation for something that had been a problem for me for 5 years! (And he *wasn't* the first ortho surgeon I saw.) He was VERY knowledgeable, willing to answer questions, prudent in his recommendations (not at all someone who fits the stereotype that surgeons always want to cut), and he treated me like an intelligent adult who could understand things relevant to my case. The only thing I dislike about Dr. Mok is that I'm moving out of Chicagoland and won't be able to see him in the future.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Dr. Mok changed my life! If I didnt find him, I dont know where I would be. He listens and he's very thorough.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

Dr. Mok saved my life... After two failed back surgeries in Dec 2013 and Feb 2014 done at a NW Indiana hospital by a Merrillville Neurosurgeon, I was unable to walk without a walker or even sit up for more than 10 minutes. The Neurosurgeon offered me a pain pump or a neuro stimulating device to control the pain. My wife is a nurse and insisted on a second opinion and Dr. Mok did a third surgery (a spinal fusion) on April 16 2014. He explained it would be a long recovery (as I had contracted a osteomyelitis of the spine from the two previous surgeries at a NW Indiana hospital). After 6 months I am almost pain free and enjoying life again. He is a caring doctor and I am included in the medical decisions. I would recommend him to anyone who is suffering from any back problem. I was ready to end my life before I met Dr. Mok. Now I am enjoying life again... LIFE is GOOD!

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

Caring, Professional and Knowledgeable. Dr, Mok is thorough and listens carefully and involves his patients in the decision making process. I highly recommend Dr. Mok for any spinal issues you may be experiencing.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2014

Dr.Mok is amazing. He explains things and listens. He is a partner in my medical care. He is a genius and I know would only suggest the best for me.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2014

Dr. MOK is a rock star in the world of back surgery. He is kind, considerate, patient and extremely good at what he does. He goes to great lengths to explain the patient's condition and the steps he proposes to solve the problem. Most of all, the patient is treated like a person and not a condition.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2014

Below is the letter to Dr. Mok after a visit. Dear Dr. Mok, I wanted to write to express our great appreciation for your time and attention to my mother yesterday. Our experience with you was superb. Please know we don't give these compliments out to doctors readily! You were patient, listened well, did a thorough clinical examination, explained information in detail, answered questions thoughtfully, reviewed appropriate documentation and shared related literature with us that was relevant to her case and your medical recommendation. It was you -- and you alone -- that initially gave her hope and reason to believe that she could avoid a significant back surgery. We wanted to explore and pursue this option before making a final decision. As such, she came here from NY to see you. We will be forever grateful for your guidance which was instrumental in us realizing that the recommendation for surgery from another doctor is not the best course of action at this time. Thank you!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2014

I have been working with numerous doctors over the past few years and Dr. Mok has been the most pleasant with which to work. He and his team is so nice, caring, considerate, prompt and wonderful with followup. My most recent surgery done by Dr. Mok ran smoothly and I felt like he cared about me and my family who was waiting. His bedside manner is wonderful. He's the kindest doctor I've had. I would recommend him to anyone..in fact, I already have. Dr. Mok made my transition to a new hospital and surgeon as good as it could possibly be.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2014

brilliant mind, great bed side manners, caring, very talented, amazing spine surgeon, great talent, just the right doctor recommend him highly at any time, fixed my really messed up spine

flag | Submitted September 21, 2012

Dr. James M. Mok's Credentials

James Mok, MD, is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of spine conditions, including herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis and degenerative disc disease. He also cares for patients with cervical stenosis or myelopathy -- conditions in which the spinal cord and nerves become compressed in the neck. In addition, Dr. Mok has a special interest in utilizing minimally invasive surgery (MIS) to speed up recovery times after spine surgery. After completing his fellowship, Dr. Mok served as a major in the United States Army, where his duties included caring for members of elite special operations units. He also deployed as the orthopaedic surgeon for a combat support hospital in Iraq. He received notable military awards for his service, including the Meritorious Service Medal. Dr. Mok is an accomplished author and has been invited
to present his work at national and international conferences on spine diseases and orthopaedic surgery. His recent articles have been published in leading journals in the field including Spine, The Spine Journal and the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.

• Columbia University New York (Grad. 2003)
  • Dartmouth College (Grad. 1998)

• Spinal stenosis