Ratings for Dr. Randy Staab

He is a know it all and while he preaches not having a black and white way of thinking and wants his patients to think dialectically, he puts us in boxes. He feigns compassion so long as you agree with him, but the minute you aren't a 'perfect patient' in his eyes anymore, he washes his hands of you. He made a mess of my medications. I was a voluntary patient, who was assured I would be an 'equal partner in my own care' but this was a bold faced lie. He was constantly making changes I did not agree to, and when my brain chemistry inevitably became very out of control he and the staff were unable or unwilling to help me. The day I discharged myself he was not even willing to come talk to me about my medications when the nurse called him and strongly suggested he help me. I think certain types of people fit well into his program and he focuses his attention solely on those patients but if you have too many other mental health issues and do not fit the description he likes, he turns his attention to other patients that are more favoured and washes his hands of you. He wasn't even present when I was discharged, yet had the nerve to speculate in his report to my G.P. the reasons for my leaving the program. He made it seem to my family doctor that I was being unwilling in my recovery. I left because I felt he was done even trying to help me and had messed with my brain chemistry so badly at that point. He should not be treating such vulnerable people in my opinion, his personality does not suit his chosen profession. I am doing well, no thanks to him. I almost felt like he actually wanted me to leave and fail because that would confirm that his way is the only possible way and that the only patients that succeed are the ones he likes.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2018

One size does not fit all. I suffered badly with major depression. This man took what little was left of my self worth, stomped on it and spit me out. I am seven years eating disorder free because I found a group that dealt with me as a whole person and not just one aspect of my character. I am glad he has helped others but I didn't fit into his shoebox.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2016