Ratings for Dr. Marius Hoogerboord

Have read some of the other reviews and am surprised. Frankly I found him very good. Went out of his way to answer my questions, and did not try to force my decisions. In a surgeon, I will go for skill and knowledge over personality every time, but in this case I did not have to choose. I rate him highly.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

3 weeks after delivering my son, I was admitted to hospital for an emergency laparascopic gallbladder removal. Dr. Hoogerboard himself came to get me before my surgery and asked if I had any questions. I was quite emotional as my hormones were still crazy post-baby delivery. Numerous times he asked if I was ok and if there was anything I could do. At my post-surgical check up with my family doctor, she commented that everything looked great and she couldn't have done a better suture job herself.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

Has zero personality, so if you are looking for a conversation or any type of human interaction ...this is the wrong person for you. Sometimes he just stares blankly at you when questions are asked ,not sure if he does not know the answer or can't be bothered to answer . Surgically , many complications post-op from my personal experience. Wanted many times to get another consult from a different surgeon because I did not feel confident in the care he delivered or decisions made.

Submitted February 11, 2016

Visited Dr Hoogerboord a couple of times , had no time to be bothered, poor sport attitude from the first day I met him...Called his office left messages "NO REPLY".....left me hanging with my medical condition as a result of refusal of medical care "NOT" be followed up "NO RESPONSES" from his office....I contacted College of Physicians and Surgeons , and I am waiting for a response to take action .....Poor Attitude , No Heart , Shouldn't be in this field of work being a doctor who doesn't care to help patients.....Please go elsewhere , Your "NOT WELCOMED" Go Doctor somewhere else .....Your a very "UNCARING RUDE" doctor !!

Submitted January 21, 2016

Visited Dr. Hoogerboord multiple times, each time it seemed like he couldn't be bothered with me and that my surgery was just going to be a nuisance to him. Would not recommend him to anyone.

Submitted June 2, 2015

Dr. Hoogerboord operated on me for eight hours, wrestling with my post-surgical adhesions to do a bowel resection laparoscopically. I couldn't be more grateful, I've had a quick and uncomplicated recovery with laparoscopy, most surgeons would have given up and moved to open surgery. As my G.P. said "He is definitely worth waiting for". Office staff pleasant and responsive.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2015

He did my surgery in August 2014. His care was excellent and he was very personable.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Hoogerboord by another Surgent. I saw him twice in a three hour distance to Halifax. Which was a waste of time, as he did absolutely nothing to help me with my condition. I asked him for a prescription to prescribed medication for my Hiatus Hernia , he stated to get that from my GP. I later moved to Halifax and followed up to see him again about my Hiatus Hernia and Esophogitis he diagnosed me with. He received doctor reports from another surgent, as I have reported to him on my visits as for phone calls I am coughing blood up. I asked if he could do a MRI to find out where the blood and irritation is coming from . He stated "No" he refuses to have a MRI done. I had a different test done as He found something wrong with my spinkter and his receptionist called me to pass on the message By Dr.Hoogerboord "possibly I may need surgery" . I was booked for a appointment to see him and discuss my condition. I received a phone call the day before my booked appointment was scheduled to see him to discuss surgery as for "They"Cancelled it. I didn't get a chance to see him to discuss what was found wrong with my spinkter as the test results shows. I then later got a phone call to request to have a 24 PH monitoring test, and send me home unsupervised with tubes up my nose and down the back of my throat. I stated to them over the phone that I feel uncomfortable in having it done with "NO" supervision , where as I live alone if in case I choked and something went wrong. I was willing to have the test done at the hospital providing proper care and supervision "BUT" was told by Dr. Hoogerboord's office no beds were available in the hospital on the floor. I am now filing a complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgents . He gave me the cold shoulder from the very first day I met him. He is the rudest man with a cold heart I ever encountered. I would rather see another surgent who is caring and concerned about their patients.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2014

I am extremely happy with my operation and the relationship with Dr. Hoogerboord and his staff. So far I am cancer free and feeling great. Thanks very much for your caring and your concerning attitude.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2014

Dr. Hoogerboord is an amazing surgeon. He puts his patients needs at the forefront and goes above and beyond to assure you have the best care. I recently had a bowel surgery that resulted in complications requiring 2 returns to the OR, and both times Dr. Hoogerboord returned to the hospital late into the night to take me back to surgery himself, even though he was not on call. He visited daily, even on the weekends to check on me. He is honest, forthcoming with information and tells it like it is, taking as much time as needed to answer questions and set you at ease. After an extended stay in hospital and a subsequent return to the ER for a further concern, I received a call at home from his staff to check on me to make sure all was well, and to let me know they were there should I need help. This sets Dr. Hoogerboord and his staff above many in our current health care system. I have the highest respect for him and am grateful I had such a caring surgeon for my bowel surgery.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2014