Ratings for Dr. Norman Hoffman

I have seen many psychiatrists over the past ten years. Dr. Hoffman is the only one who actually listened to me. He is careful about prescribing medication and tries to find the approach that makes sense. He always explain everything carefully and provides excellent follow-up. He is the best!

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Norman Hoffman for over a year with my wife, who was diagnosed bipolar in her early thirties and has been through several hospitalizations over the last two decades. I have only good things to say about him. Unlike so many psychiatrists in this big-pharma-dominated system, Dr. Hoffman does not push meds. He appreciates the multiple factors behind what we conventionally think of as mental illness – including, besides physiological and genetic, the social, economic and cultural factors as well. He concerns himself not simply with erasing symptoms through often debilitating meds, but with the quality of life of his patients. He is kind, humble, respectful, listens to his patients, heeds their concerns, and works with them to cautiously reduce, if at all possible, a dose to a reasonable and appropriate level. He opposes not only the stigmatisation of mental illness, but our culture’s tendency to impose psychiatric labels, which is at the root of the stigmatisation itself. My wife, who has seen many psychiatrists over the years, says he is the best she has ever had. The fact that he is willing to see us together—although she is the patient—testifies to his open approach. I’ve had more than one psychiatrist unwilling to see me, along with my wife, at all—even when she insisted my perspective would be of help. I would have no trouble recommending Dr. Norman Hoffman to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

I was able to see Dr. Hoffman starting April 2014, he is fantastic. He listens, not just to complaints, but opinions on treatment. He is genuine, and caring. Located downtown, close to coffee shops, clean quiet waiting room, accommodating staff. Never wait long, and often has appointments available the same week. If a patient has an emergency, he will even see them the same day.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

excellent rapport- thoughtful-very good insight- very patient

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

Dr. Hoffman is a great psychiatrist. He knows his stuff, but he's a thoughtful listener and strikes me as genuinely compassionate - never dismissive. I feel comfortable with him, and I trust him. I'd also echo the sentiments of the previous reviewer on his wonderful receptionists. I'd recommend Dr. Hoffman to anyone seeking a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

I am privileged to know this man and to be his patient. He is extremely competent. I've been his patient for a year now, and not once did I feel rushed or unwelcome in his office. He takes the time to explain what's going on with you, and encourages you to ask questions and talk. He will not push medications. I feel very lucky to have him as my psychiatrist. Oh, and the secretaries in his office are amazing, lovely, wonderful, warm, and welcoming human beings.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

I think there is some confusion about Dr. Hoffman. There are actually two Dr. Hoffman psychiatrists in Montreal. I've had the fortune ( and misfortune) to see them both. The other doctor Hoffman, is never punctual ,doesn't return his calls, often just gives prescriptions, and can be cold and robotic. Dr. Norman Hoffman, does not jump into giving medication, and is cautious, caring and honest in his interactions. He has never kept me waiting more than a minute, and is very responsive.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be able to see Dr. Hoffman after being frustrated by my previous attempts to find a good psychiatrist. His responsiveness and knowledge were incredible. He was able to point out issues that I had struggled with in one session, that other therapists had missed entirely. He is the best.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2014

Dr. Hoffman is the most helpful psychiatrist that I've ever seen. Unlike most he doesn't have a condescending attitude, and explains issues in meaningful ways. I just wish I had started seeing him when I was younger, so I wouldn't have wasted my time with so much useless treatments.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2014

I wish I had been able to see Dr. Hoffman longer. Unfortunately, just as I finally started to really open up and make some progress, I had to leave the province. Although he wasn't cold, I didn't necessarily find him extremely emphatic. However, he was responsive, a good listener and extremely helpful. I also liked how I could make appointments through him and using email, because I really don't like using the phone. One time I cancelled an appointment fairly last minute and he called because he felt we needed to talk. Although I didn't answer his call or return it due to my mental state that day, I was grateful that he was willing to reach out. He helped me a great deal with one specific thing and that was tremendous. I wish I was able to still see him. I have no doubt he would have continued to help me and I would have continued to make progress. He is the best mental health professional I've seen to date.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2014