You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Norman Hoffman

I have seen many psychiatrists over the past ten years. Dr. Hoffman is the only one who actually listened to me. He is careful about prescribing medication and tries to find the approach that makes sense. He always explain everything carefully and provides excellent follow-up. He is the best!

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Norman Hoffman for over a year with my wife, who was diagnosed bipolar in her early thirties and has been through several hospitalizations over the last two decades. I have only good things to say about him. Unlike so many psychiatrists in this big-pharma-dominated system, Dr. Hoffman does not push meds. He appreciates the multiple factors behind what we conventionally think of as mental illness – including, besides physiological and genetic, the social, economic and cultural factors as well. He concerns himself not simply with erasing symptoms through often debilitating meds, but with the quality of life of his patients. He is kind, humble, respectful, listens to his patients, heeds their concerns, and works with them to cautiously reduce, if at all possible, a dose to a reasonable and appropriate level. He opposes not only the stigmatisation of mental illness, but our culture’s tendency to impose psychiatric labels, which is at the root of the stigmatisation itself. My wife, who has seen many psychiatrists over the years, says he is the best she has ever had. The fact that he is willing to see us together—although she is the patient—testifies to his open approach. I’ve had more than one psychiatrist unwilling to see me, along with my wife, at all—even when she insisted my perspective would be of help. I would have no trouble recommending Dr. Norman Hoffman to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

This doctor deliberately prescribed poison to me causing a severe stroke and ruining my life. As a recent university graduate who had experience with a university mental health clinic, I was naive and asked for the same medication I had been taking for two years while in university. Instead, this criminal switched my medication deliberately causing severe brain damage. If you are a recent university graduate or student, please stay away from this man. He is using you in order to fit his agenda. He is unprofessional, unsympathetic, and a poisoner. The entire point of this criminals practice is to steal from his patients. Not only did he poison me but he was also using the same medication I was prescribed in order to harass me and actively took steps to humiliate me and fit me into his psychiatric box. If you are prescribed something from this criminal, please remember that this mad scientist is taking the same medication, watching you, and stealing from you. Unlike the type of professionals encountered at university mental health services, this criminal has one priority and it is not you. Please don't make the same mistake I made. Thank-you.,

Submitted March 20, 2016

I was able to see Dr. Hoffman starting April 2014, he is fantastic. He listens, not just to complaints, but opinions on treatment. He is genuine, and caring. Located downtown, close to coffee shops, clean quiet waiting room, accommodating staff. Never wait long, and often has appointments available the same week. If a patient has an emergency, he will even see them the same day.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

excellent rapport- thoughtful-very good insight- very patient

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

Dr. Hoffman is a great psychiatrist. He knows his stuff, but he's a thoughtful listener and strikes me as genuinely compassionate - never dismissive. I feel comfortable with him, and I trust him. I'd also echo the sentiments of the previous reviewer on his wonderful receptionists. I'd recommend Dr. Hoffman to anyone seeking a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

I am privileged to know this man and to be his patient. He is extremely competent. I've been his patient for a year now, and not once did I feel rushed or unwelcome in his office. He takes the time to explain what's going on with you, and encourages you to ask questions and talk. He will not push medications. I feel very lucky to have him as my psychiatrist. Oh, and the secretaries in his office are amazing, lovely, wonderful, warm, and welcoming human beings.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

I think there is some confusion about Dr. Hoffman. There are actually two Dr. Hoffman psychiatrists in Montreal. I've had the fortune ( and misfortune) to see them both. The other doctor Hoffman, is never punctual ,doesn't return his calls, often just gives prescriptions, and can be cold and robotic. Dr. Norman Hoffman, does not jump into giving medication, and is cautious, caring and honest in his interactions. He has never kept me waiting more than a minute, and is very responsive.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be able to see Dr. Hoffman after being frustrated by my previous attempts to find a good psychiatrist. His responsiveness and knowledge were incredible. He was able to point out issues that I had struggled with in one session, that other therapists had missed entirely. He is the best.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2014

Dr. Hoffman is the most helpful psychiatrist that I've ever seen. Unlike most he doesn't have a condescending attitude, and explains issues in meaningful ways. I just wish I had started seeing him when I was younger, so I wouldn't have wasted my time with so much useless treatments.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2014

Dr. Norman Hoffman's Credentials

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have seen many psychiatrists over the past ten years. Dr. Hoffman is the only one who actually listened to me. He is careful about prescribing medication and ..."

April 15, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have been seeing Dr. Norman Hoffman for over a year with my wife, who was diagnosed bipolar in her early thirties and has been through several hospitalization..."

April 12, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "This doctor deliberately prescribed poison to me causing a severe stroke and ruining my life. As a recent university graduate who had experience with a universi..."

March 20, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I was able to see Dr. Hoffman starting April 2014, he is fantastic. He listens, not just to complaints, but opinions on treatment. He is genuine, and caring. ..."

January 27, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "excellent rapport- thoughtful-very good insight- very patient "

November 16, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Hoffman is a great psychiatrist. He knows his stuff, but he's a thoughtful listener and strikes me as genuinely compassionate - never dismissive. I feel com..."

July 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I am privileged to know this man and to be his patient. He is extremely competent. I've been his patient for a year now, and not once did I feel rushed or unwel..."

May 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I think there is some confusion about Dr. Hoffman. There are actually two Dr. Hoffman psychiatrists in Montreal. I've had the fortune ( and misfortune) to see t..."

October 18, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I was fortunate enough to be able to see Dr. Hoffman after being frustrated by my previous attempts to find a good psychiatrist. His responsiveness and knowledg..."

October 11, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Hoffman is the most helpful psychiatrist that I've ever seen. Unlike most he doesn't have a condescending attitude, and explains issues in meaningful ways. ..."

October 10, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I wish I had been able to see Dr. Hoffman longer. Unfortunately, just as I finally started to really open up and make some progress, I had to leave the provin..."

September 26, 2014