Ratings for Dr. Michelle Atkinson

Today, I am fit and happy with my spine tanks to Dr Atkinson and her ability, knowledge and capability. I had surgery in 2011 and 2013 and always found Dr Atkinson helpful and friendly. I am a difficult person at the best of time and I was hurting and afraid during my second surgery, that mean I was not the best patient. She kept me informed and put up with my sulkiness and rudeness while in hospital. I am very thankful for her help during those difficult time. I am walking and swimming daily thanks to Dr Atkinson work. I wasn't looking for a friend when I saw her, I needed a good doctor and that is what I got.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Yes, I was also unfortunate enough to uncover a distinctly unhelpful woman hating surgeon who profiled me incorrectly and became convinced I was denying a urinary tract infection when what had happened was my referring gp had omitted to call me about a blood test that reflected an ESR of 37. The surgeon wrote a disgraceful letter requesting it not be shown to third parties. The surgeon would not respond when I asked if the presenting problems throughout my spine and neck were due to an accident or genetic or the result of an underlying inflammatory condition. Although that would have been difficult given the referring GP omitted to alert me to the high ESR. Profiled harshly because I presented well and to the other disappointed patients - keep looking: they must be out there somewhere.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2016

I had a discectomy nearly 2 years ago after 6 months of continual pain, in back and sciatic pain down the leg. I rate her experience and manner as excellent (she has a wicked sense of humour). I was back at work in 2 weeks and did a 35Km mountain bike ride through the blue mountains 10 weeks after my op. so beat that! My advice to those with disc problems is 1. Do it...just get it done I know you're going insane with the pain but truly just get it sorted as its very minor surgery and after a couple of weeks rest afterwards you'll be a new person 2. start your post op core exercises 2-4 weeks before the op as it will make it easier afterwards, I did mine for 6 months afterwards, not that I needed to but just to keep the core solid, they are easy. 3. Give the back the respect that it deserves to recover, bend with your knees and not your back its all education really. I have 2 kinds, one 18Kg and one 10Kg. If I didn't have the surgery I wouldn't be able to lift them out of their bed or play with them so for me it meant the world to get the surgery done so I could look after my family. 4. Follow her advice, this is what Michelle does and she is very good at it.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

My husband had a spinal fusion operation at the SAN Hospital in September. Our experience with Dr Atkinson and her staff couldn't have been better. She is a highly skilled surgeon who showed great care before, during and after his 9 hour operation. Imagine just the mental and physical endurance alone, needed to be able to do such operations many times a week - all on different bodies, each with their own complexities and varying states of health. We have nothing but respect and admiration for Dr Atkinson (and the SAN Hospital and staff) and thank her for restoring my husband to pain-free health. We do not understand the negative comments at all.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2014

I was unlucky enough to be assigned this doctor recently at the San private hospital. I was in a lot of pain and just coming out of the morphine I was given. This doctor was so rude and I can honestly say that she has the worse bedside manner of any doctor I have ever encountered. I am a middle aged lady well eductated and I don't appreciate her speaking to me so rudely specially when I am not in a fit state to reply. Believe me that if I wasn't under the effects of morphine I would have given it back to her. She is a disgrace and I wouldn't recommend Her to anyone. She is clearly a very unhappy lady who needs to go out and get a life and learn to show empathy for people in pain. I hope one day she is in terrible pain and she encountered someone like herself so she can truly see what it is like to receive such poor care. I told her I was in a lot of pain in my back, hips and pain radiating in my pelvis area. She wouldn't perform any scans or test and said basically I was fat and needed to lose weight and go to physio ( clearly I don't want to be as thin as her as it makes you look older in the face) and I informed her that I had been to 5 different physio' sand they Since checking out of hospital I have gone back to my old doctor and he ran some tests which found I have a stomach infection as well as Trochanteric Bursitis. He was shocked that neither Dr Atkinson or any of the staff at the Sans ran any tests to see what was wrong with me.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2014

I found Dr Atkinson to be highly skilled and most efficient. I don't understand the adverse comments. If you are looking for a shoulder to cry on ,then dr. Atkinson is certainly the wrong Doctor for you. She comes across as harsh and uncaring at times but this could not be further from the truth. I would have no hesitation in using her services again if the need should arise (hopefully not).

flag | Submitted November 22, 2014

Dr Atkinson is rude, uncaring, condescending and unlike anybody I have ever met in the medical profession ! Like an earlier review said, you would not send your worst enemy to her. She fails to answer questions, gives zero information and you are made to feel stupid for asking her to explain things. She came across completely uninterested in my situation and I left feeling like this was a complete waste of money and time. I was shocked at how terrible the appointment.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2014

I found her very uninformative, brief, condascending. I had a 'simple' discectomy was sent home the next day. Was admitted to hospital the day after with vomiting and temps. She then came to see me and said I would need a fusion. So two operations in 7 days. She never suggested I go to a rehab hospital and told me I should go home after 2 days, walk and get on with it. I had spoken to a few friends who suggested I definately should go to the rehab hospital. This I did, and I'm so pleased I did. I had nearly 2 weeks in there where I was monitored, fed, had daily PHYSIO and hydrotherapy. I'm now on a 6 week outpatients program where I go in twice a week for Physio and hydrotherapy. It's all covered by my health fund, so to me it was crazy that she didn't suggest it. 6 week checkup and her usually fast and uninformative self. I still don't really know what she did in there, and my doctor only has the report from my first operation. I have really felt that I was somehow pathetic and dumb. I wouldn't recommend her to anyone! I'm sure she is very knowledgable and I really hope she is good with her work, but bedside manner and keeping me up to date with what was happening...all my questions were answered with 5 words or less. It was like trying to get information from a teenager!!

flag | Submitted November 2, 2014

Don't believe the negative comments you read here. Dr Atkinson is very approachable, polite and happy to answer any questions but most importantly a brilliant surgeon! so glad that I was referred to Dr Atkinson by my physio, I am 100% pain free after a herniated disk in my neck.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2014

Dr Atkinson is one of those doctors who is a doctor who is an exceptional surgeon however she lacks significantly in people skills. I had a very complex presentation and had been told that nothing could be done by another doctor. She was prepared to operate and I got a good outcome which is rare for my condition. She is dedicated but again her people skills lack significantly. She compensates for that with her exceptional surgical skills. She is a doctor who I agree that most people would find rude but I do not think she does it on purpose rather its her personality. I personally would not recommend her if you were seeing her for a problem on the lower end of the scale as you will find her rude and disinterested. But if you are complex she is worth seriously considering as she is very dedicated towards those patients. If you want someone who is a very good surgically or where other doctors are not prepared to operate you should consider her.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2014