Ratings for Dr. Dale MacDermitt

I have been working with Dr McDermit on my C-PTSD recovery for a few years. In that time, he has become the first person in my life who has proven himself to be fully trustworthy. He has never disappointed me. Dr McDermit is patient, compassionate and incredibly insightful. He considers my needs as we process trauma, never pushing me farther than I feel comfortable going, yet challenging me when I dig in my heels. I would not be here now if I hadnt had his support and guidance.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2018

Rating is for receptionist, she is rude, stuck and condisending, stuck up and just all over a terrible human being

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

I suffered a drug-induced psychosis in 2001, that involved the antidepressant Effexor, which has a record of causing mania and psychosis in patients. Dale McDermitt then proceeded to misdiagnose me with Bipolar 1, and wrongfully prescribe me medication that has caused more harm than I can possibly describe, leading to so many lost years (I became severely overweight, developed serious digestive issues, non-alcoholic fatty liver, sexual dysfunction, and my cognitive abilities declined so seriously I could no longer socialize, read a book, or attend university). As I tapered off the meds (which was a whole other nightmare), my health and cognitive functioning greatly improved, although I'm still coping with the physical and emotional trauma of my "medicated" years. With proper investigation and support (family and professional), the true underlying issues finally came to light. The quick fixes offered by psychiatrists can be very damaging in the long run, especially because they can mask true causes or even aggravate them (physical damage aside) Please, before submitting yourself or a loved one to long term "treament" from well-intentioned but tragically misguided people like Dale McDermitt, consider that the issues may not be rooted in trauma or attachment issues, or even Aspergers syndrome, which I believe is seriously misunderstood, and being misdiagnosed en masse by psychiatrists.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2017

Before you commit yourself or a loved one to the dangerous profit-based medical model that McDermitt prescribes to, please ask yourself whether or not attachment issues, trauma, or even aspergers might be the true underlying cause of the symptoms at hand. Also consider why psychiatrists make their diagnoses and prescriptions without doing any real medical work, like blood and urine tests to rule out vitamin and mineral deficiencies and hormonal imbalances. McDermitt's misdiagnosis and pill-based "treatment" caused me severe weight gain, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, serious digestive issues, sexual dysfunction, and the early symptoms of tardive dyskenisia (which, all those years ago, he assured me and my gullible family was "very rare"). The worst thing, though, is perhaps the psychological wounds these drugs cover up, which were compounded by the hellish experience of being wrongfully doped on medications that affect the mind in ways that so-called doctors like this man just really, really don't understand (and don't want to, because it threatens their very identity). For me, personally, the result was over a lost decade doped up on Seroquel, where my physical health and cognitive functioning took a tragic nosedive. Don't be fooled by so-called experts who say this is the result of "mental illness"-- It may very well be the result of some very bad medicine and misguided medical treatment. Psychiatrists in the somewhat more enlightened Victoria medical community were quick to question and alter his diagnosis and treatment. If people like McDermitt weren't so protected by legal protections (that, sadly, psychiatric victims would never have access to in this society), then I'm sure all the reports I have compiled would serve as a fine case for proving medical incompetence (including McDermitt's own incompetent reports on my case). No pill will help heal a broken heart, heal the hidden psychological wounds that people may quietly carry inside them, or teach a lost person how to navigate this shallow world. I understand the need for medication in short-term crisis management, or possibly even long-term management in some cases, but be sure to make sure you're not using the pills as a crutch while other issues remain untreated. While I can't blame McDermitt for all of my issues, his inability to consider issues outside the narrow framework of psychiatry, and wrongful prescription of medication, has cost me and my family more than I can express in words here.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

I'm alive because of this Doc's help with my depression. 2 years of therapy and several medications tried to find the right ones for me.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

We have worked with Dr MacDermitt supporting an individual with very complex needs. He is a god send who has made such a difference over our individual's life. He treats our individual and their family with great respect and patients. He is very professional and knows his stuff. I am so appreciative of the support and care Dr MacDermitt has given in supporting him.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

Fantastic professional with a gift to actually listen and reflect to his patients. He has gotten to know our family with positive intention and compassion. We surely would not be where we are today without him!

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

Dr. Dale Macdermitt has been the most detrimental to our family, having his own family malfunctions over rule any sort of professionalism. Although he can play the bongo well, that was all we recieved from this unstable being. I can never forgive his actions, or lack there of in our situation. I can only assume that he had self medicated that day, however, this has left a family forever torn apart as my son now self medicates with street drugs. Sad to see someone get away with such unprofessionalism, protected by a self governing body.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Dale is a wonderful doctor and very knowledgeable. He listens and treats his patients with compassion and respect. I've been to a number of similar doctors and many of them just sat there and had nothing to say while I was explaining my situation. They just sat there, didn't ask questions and I felt totally alone. Finally after years of struggling with what was thought to be depression, I was diagnosed correctly. His methods of treatment are not all medication based although they are part of the treatment. He uses various different treatment options that I didn't even know were available. Thankfully my life is much better for his help. It is still a long road but with his assistance I am sure it will finally be one that can be attained.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

Dr. MacDermitt is a wonderful man that uses all types of diagnosis that suits the style of his patient. He he has help my family tremendously in the diagnosis of my son. He did not listen to the past diagnosis's of my son and I had spent two years trying to get others to think outside the box of ADHD, and now my son has a diagnosis and treatment that is working better for my family. Now it is up to him to do med reviews with my son and run the team that will be working with my son with different type of behavioral therapy and I am confident for the first time that my son will function in society.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2014