Ratings for Dr. Sheila L. Ling

DO NOT GO TO SPRUCE STREET CLINIC! I went for my annual physical on May 19, 2015, feeling excellent after working my way back from an outpatient back surgery in 2013 which had left me bent over U-shape and in need of a cane. It also left me with a slight stenosis of my 4-5th lumbar region of my spine and I spent 6 mos. going to PT 2-3x's/wk. Finally, I was walking upright, but had some residual pain for which Dr Ling prescribed an anti-inflammatory which worked well especially on the pain. I finally was able to walk again, but my L ankle swelled up. I went to the ER and was told I had sprained my foot so I didn't think too much about the swelling. Upon seeing Dr Ling, she looked at the swelling and decided to change my my anti-inflammatory to another. I took it for 10 days and the swelling went down all right, HOWEVER, ALL OF THE PAIN I had after my back surgery returned. I woke up on the 10th day and was back to Square One--bent over U-shape and in need of a cane again!!! She managed to wipe out 2 1/2yrs of hard work to regain my mobility. Now, if all this wasn't bad enough, I couldn't get a call-back from her EVEN THOUGH I left over 5 messages with her ass't, Alicia. THEY DON'T CARE. YOU'RE A NUMBER, NOT A PATIENT AND WE PAY THEIR SALARIES! Not only that, but I had a Pap smear and Ling said I'd receive the results in a letter from the lab. No letter has come as of this posting. She also said I should get a bone-density test, but failed to tell me I needed AN APPT which I found out the next day AFTER driving in a downpour in rush hour traffic to get one at the hospital. NO ATTENTION TO DETAILS. So I made the trip there and back in vain. After hearing nothing after placing at least a week's worth of calls, I went to the office yesterday to sign a release and collect my records as I had gotten another appt with another doctor the SAME DAY! As the Baby Boomers die off, these same callous doctors will be competing for business and then MAYBE will become more CUSTOMER CARE oriented.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

I am a new patient to this practice and will be finding another doctor. The office staff and the nurses are so incredibly rude for no reason. It's a shame because the NP that I saw was great. I just see no reason to put up with the staff.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2014

I think Dr. Ling is probably a decent doctor, but Spruce Street Internal Medicine is a complete nightmare in terms of how it's managed and how its customers are treated. I literally had Jennifer hang up on me when I was simply trying to get an answer to this question: why does your phone system result in an endless process of being put on hold, transferred, or sent to a message machine? Of course, I was frustrated after having gone through this horrendous maze for nearly an hour when all I wanted was my test results. As a cancer patient, I want a community of practitioners that are sensitive to the needs of their patients (clients, I don't think we're even patients any longer). Being hung up on and automatically transferred back into the system is disrespectful, unprofessional and demonstrates a high degree of incompetence on the part of the office manager and the people who work beneath the office manager. I would not recommend Spruce Street Internal Medicine to anyone. Since Dr. Amy Maiocco's departure it has been a complete failure. Despite Dr. Ling's kind demeanor, she doesn't engage me as a patient as Dr. Amy Maiocco. Dr. Maiocco would discuss a range of issues, including nutrition, and seemed to have a deeper interest in assisting me with my health related issues beyond a purely Western approach. Dr. Ling does her thing, takes the temperature, reads the notes, checks my lungs, checks for hernias, prostate cancer, and then is on to the next patient with very little dialogue or engagement. She's quick and clinical in comparison to Dr. Maiocco. I'm now leaving Spruce Street Internal Medicine permanently after today's issues. It hit me that I don't actually have to tolerate unprofessional in a saturated medical market. My original intent of going to Spruce Street was for Dr. Maiocco's services. I tried to give the new practice a fair shot, but there have been too many issues; e.g. denying a prescription refill until I came into visit although it was a prescription that I couldn't miss a day of taking. Scheduling had nothing in the short term and it took me an hour to simply try and reach someone to schedule the appointment. As a result, I quit the prescription cold turkey which had it's own consequences, but they weren't nearly as bad as being a patient at Spruce Street Internal Medicine. My rating is mostly for Spruce Street Internal Medicine vs. Dr. Ling, although Dr. Ling could learn a thing or two about connecting with patients from someone great at it like Dr. Maiocco. Onward and upward, but not down to Spruce Street.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

I do not recommend Spruce St Internal medicine at all. Office staff and clinical manager are very rude, act indifferently to patient's needs, call backs are not handled promptly and very difficult to schedule appointments. I have been going to Dr. Ling's office for over seven years and this past year I have been very dissatisfied with the customer service. Physicians are out of the office frequently. Hard to get requests answered. I have since changed to a new primary care physician.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

I have seen Dr. Ling at least annually for about 10 years. She is consistently thorough, trustworthy, gentle, and extremely competent, in my opinion. She doesn't strong arm you or talk over you. She advises but doesn't demand, treating patients as equal partners. She listens thoughtfully to my concerns and shows an interest in the articles I occasionally bring. I am much better both physically and emotionally because of Dr. Ling and also have always found her staff to be friendly and attentive. I love that she hands me a report of everything decided at the end of our half hour (or more) appointment.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. Ling for several years and basically have no complaints. I miss her Medical Assistant. Everytime I go in, there are all new people at the front desk, or at least it seams like it.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2011

I do not recommend Spruce St Internal medicine at all. Every time I go there, the physician acts extremely rushed and like I am a nuisance. When I went in to get the HPV vaccine, no one at the office informed me that it was a series of 3 shots. When I found out from friends and family that it was, and went in to get my second shot, Spruce St ACCIDENTLY gave me the tetanus booster instead! Even though the nurse realized what she'd done right after I left, they waited until the NEXT DAY to call me and tell me their mistake. That's disgraceful and unacceptable. Seeing that I only go to the dr once a year, I stupidly stayed with Spruce St. until recently when I moved to Portland. Now I called to get a current prescription called into my new pharmacy and they want to charge me $35 because the new pharmacy is out of state. RIDICULOUS. This place has made me angry every step of the way and I am only kicking myself for giving them as many chances as I did.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2009

She errs on the side of not doing anything, as opposed to treating the patient and making sure they are comfortable.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2009

Medical care is good, but Office is very disorganized and it is very hard to get reports and information transferred to other practitioners. Also billing department is very disorganized.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Dr. Sheila L. Ling's Credentials

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 1986)