Ratings for Dr. L. Hausmanis

I have seen Dr. Hausmanis a number of times. She currently works as a family doctor at Sherbourne Health Centre (2014). This health centre caters to a wide-ranging clientele, many of whom deal with issues of poverty and/or complex health issues. It's an very good health centre, but also overtaxed, and you can feel the strain. I would say the same about Dr. Hausmanis. The positives: She's extremely bright. She wants to do her best, and she works hard to stay current with relevant health information. (Some doctors, I think, don't bother to learn more about their fields after they get out of medical school; Dr. Hausmanis has a passion for learning about health and medicine). So, that's the good stuff. Now the not-so-good. Like SHC (Sherbourne), Dr. Hausmanis makes an effort to serve people, like me, with multiple health care needs. Like Sherbourne, she is stretched thin by the lack of resources and good in terms of specialists. More than once, Dr. Hausmanis has not followed through with me in terms of finding sorely-needed specialists. More then once, she has promised to find out more information, then -- I would imagine due to the flood of work that she faces -- has not followed through. If Dr. Hausmanis asked me for feedback, I'd say, "Don't promise what you know doesn't exist in terms of health care resources. Don't say you'll follow up with something and then not follow up." And I would add, "Don't get frustrated with me for being frustrated with the system" because I have sensed that she wants to either make the system work (which it often doesn't) or to ignore the situation when it isn't working. And I end up feeling like I'm begging, or demanding, which sucks. She's a good person. And a bright, committed doctor. But I suppose I've come to realize that I can't depend on her for good or timely referrals to specialists, even when sorely needed. There are times she found an appropriate doctor, and times she hasn't. I have come, more and more, not to trust her referrals or promises about resources, even though I trust her knowledge of medicine a lot. It's a tough gig being a family doctor in Canada - you're relied on for too much because of the lack of sorely needed specialists, equipment, and hospital resources. I get that. But then stop making excuses for the system. Summary: As a smart, knowledgeable, sympathetic generalist doctor: Four and a half stars; As a resource-seeking family doctor: Two and a half stars.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

She is my family doctor and an amazing doctor. She is very knowledgeable and when she may need assitance on a health issue,she seeks out colleagues to aid her. She is attentive to detail and very supportive.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2012

I met with her only once, when my own GP was absent. But she impressed me with a sincerely caring manner, understanding eyes, and alertness to her patient of the moment. For example, when she found that I had a good medical vocabulary, she immediately spoke to me at that level, and was happy to explain details that I questioned her about (I'm irredeemably curious, and love to learn). Obviously a bright lady, too. — Steve, Toronto

flag | Submitted November 30, 2012