Ratings for Dr. P. Walden

this Dr is a total joke!! be careful also the staff is unfriendly, go somewhere else

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

My complaint is regarding experiences with Dr. Walden, Paul D and the Whistler Health Care Centre. I have unfortunately had to come to this facility more often than I would have liked. I am chronically ill due to complications from a surgery I had when I was 2 days old on my upper gastrointestinal system. I was there for 3 hours on Sunday evening due to intense pain and nausea which is due to complications from a surgery I had when I was 2 days old on my duodenum. The doctor comes in and one of the first thing he says is "all your specialists are more intelligent than me, I am just a ER doctor what do you want from me?" Not inspiring much confidence right off the bat. During the time I was there no one cleaned the toilet that had been destroyed by someone vomiting. The staff was too busy talking about their personal life and complaining about their job being too busy (4 nurses, 1 doctor, 3 patients at the time) and talking about how they are good at turning patients away after hours because they are tired while still complaining about having to "fight" for shifts. They provided me a dirty vomit receptacle and proceeded to question why I was there as if my symptoms and level of comfort were in question. They treated me like I was drug seeking instead of a patient who was suffering and unable to take pain killers orally or up the bum without causing bleeding. This I had to explain a few times as if they were ignorant of the fact that most pain killers and especially anti inflammatory medicine causes irritation to an already irritated gastro system... there is a risk of pancreatitis with my "unique anatomy" so I requested a blood test just to rule it out. They bruised me taking blood which has never happened before and gave me a pain killer shot in my shoulder and sent me on my way. Today I was still in a lot of pain and feeling nauseous so we went to another clinic in town that sent us to the ER for some fluids and some medication for my symptoms. She did mention that Dr. Walden thought it was due to smoking medical cannabis. He did not even mention this in our first visit so it was news to us that this was his diagnosis. The doctor at the ER today was Dr. Walden again and he was adamant that all my symptoms are caused by smoking medical cannabis. Not at all caused by my unique anatomy that I am awaiting a special MRI and hopefully surgery to put in a stint etc. I am not discounting that for some people using cannabis over long periods of time may indeed also cause similar symptoms to my own. What I am arguing for is the fact that I have stopped smoking cannabis during a couple times in my life for over 2 1/2months with no easing of my symptoms, so that has already been ruled out as the main cause of my pain and nausea. Cannabis is the only thing I have found to work on a daily basis without causing more problems. To be honest I am appalled at the level of care given and can only imagine how people who are suffering from a build up of cannabinoids feel being abused and humiliated that way instead of treated and educated on the subject. To sum it all up I am bringing forward a formal complaint so that myself and others get the care they need from the only ER in town. I was not treated with dignity and respect, without discrimination of any kind; I did not receive care that is courteous and considerate. The ER was not a clean and safe environment. I was not informed why he was treating me so poorly. I was not offered services that are accessible and appropriate for my impairment or disability.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

If this is Dr Paul Walden out of Whistler - BEWARE. If its not, then ignore the rest of this. I went in to the ER in Whistler at 35w pregnant with spotting and generally feeling not well. Dr Walden did an internal exam, POKED the baby's head with the speculum and proceeded to tell me I shouldn't be worried about going into labour at all; it could be weeks to go. I knew he poked my baby when he said "oops!" during the exam and I asked what happened, and he said the baby was so low and engaged. Being my first baby, I had no idea what was going on with my body so we went back to our hotel, and I continued to feel unwell and a few hours after hospital visit, cramping started. Decided to cancel the rest of our vacation and drive 2hrs to Royal Columbian Hospital at 1am. My son was born 8 hours later, and needed intensive care in the NICU for 2 weeks because he was growth restricted (which Dr Walden knew during the exam). Thankfully our baby was born in a hospital capable of handling his needs, rather than in Squamish or worse, in the car! He came so fast that literally was a possibility if I hadn't trusted my gut to get checked at Royal Columbian in the middle of the night. This doc even told us he does monthly gynecology clinics. What a joke.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2014

Dr. Walden is a fantastic Physician. Not afraid to spend time with his patients and is really understanding and personable. He may try to explore medication options with you, but the second they don't work for an individual, he will take you off them or switch them. Is not merely a pill prescriber.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2014