Ratings for Dr. A.S. Minhas

Dr. Minhas has high invoice costs to MSP because of all the overnight sleep tests, at Richmond Hospital, and now in Surrey -- that he arranges to determine if patients need CPAP machines. He doesn't get to put all the money he bills MSP into his pocket. He will pay office and staff overhead, interpret sleep study results, communicate with family doctors, and a host of other costs involved in running a practice. He and all other doctors only end up with a fraction of MSP billings in their pockets. You are writing about a specialist here, a person who spent over twenty years helping to get the Richmond sleep clinic up and running, and who has helped countless people over his career. Sleep apnea cannot be cured, it is up to the afflicted person to be compliant on CPAP, or with any treatments suggested by the specialist, and make the lifestyle changes necessary to help themselves. In my case, Dr. Minhas diagnosed me with an odd sleep disorder that can be treated on CPAP, and I have found him to be a very caring and excellent doctor. He is not a technician, he is an old-school psychiatrist and sleep specialist. Good doctors can get crabby, just like all human beings. In my opinion, some of the best doctors do not bother too much about bedside manner. Remember "House" on TV. I would rather have a doctor who knows what he is doing, with a lousy bedside manner, than a charming doctor who pretends to care and is lacking a true vocation. Please people, lets be fair.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

Dr. Avinder Minhas is doing a poker face. He might seem to be disinterested in me but actually he is. Not for me to get cured of sleep apnea but for me to buy cpap or dental appliance.This doctor should be investigated by the health authority and should be punished and fined. Financial statements from Medical Services Commission from year 2001 to 2016 have shown that this sleep doctor had been paid by British Columbia Medical Services Plan the following amounts: $253,028; $275,3395; $988,150; $1,428,761; $1,425,921; $1,577,720; $1,170,581; $928,719; $961,633; $849,411; $964,333; $975,012; $964,535;$956,597; $890,466; $1,033,367. This is from www2.gov.bc.ca. Compare this to that of other specialists like endocrinologists who get approximately $400,00 to $600,000 annually. Avinder, I will never call you a doctor for you are not doing a doctor's job, in fact if you are a doctor then all sleep technicians are doctors. If I may ask you, from the amounts that you are collecting from the government, which is,by the way if you do not already know, is our MSP contributions, how much are you giving to the people in the government to turn a blind eye on what you are doing, and to the sleep technician(s) who find ways to make it appear that the patient's sleep apnea is really bad so they will buy cpap? What is the limit to your greed?

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

I went in for a very brief check-up. All I can say is that his bedside manner wasn't very good. He kind of looked like he hated his job and his patients. Maybe he should get checked for depression, cause he looked like his zest for life had left him years and years ago. He is not someone I'd ever go back to if I had a choice.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

He listens, which is more than you can say for most doctors, but I'm not sure that his advice is all the helpful.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

Dr. Minhas is a nice person, and helped me throughout the years I have known him. I have known him for quite a while and have found him and his staff very good. He is a physician I would recommend to any patient that has sleep disorders

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

Great figured out what the other Dr's missed with my sleep issues. Highly recommend him to all.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2017

In my experience, Dr. Minhas is very knowledgeable: he was very helpful to me in understanding my sleep disorder and providing with several unique suggestions, which I wish I received a long time ago.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

the worst doctor ever, condescending, rude, arrogant, complete jerk, judgmental, and they followed up 2 years later.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

Heed the advice from several others and find yourself a different sleep specialist. Yes the waiting times are long, but this man is abusive, manipulative, and from my experience, uninterested in the health of his patients. Find someone else even if it takes a long time.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2016

I work in the field of medicine and value health care providers who know their field well enough to give clear and concise answers to questions about the nature of the disorder I might have, the options for treatment and the relative merits of various treatments. If the health care provider has a good "bed-side manner", all the better. In Dr. Minhas I found a consummate professional who could answer all of my (many!) questions, provide information about alternative types of treatment and left me feeling relaxed and confident about the work we would be doing together via a sleep study. I was very, very happy with my initial consultation with him. His office manager was engaging, enthusiastic and pleasant. All in all, a wonderful experience. Thank-you!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016