Ratings for Dr. Jonathan Tankel

I agree with the previous comments, the receptionist is extremely rude. The waiting time is also pretty long but in my experience it is definitely worth the wait. I went to see Dr. Tankel for an IUD insertion. He was extremely helpful and answered all the questions I had. I mentioned I was having several infection-like symptoms for more than a year and despite many many tests my other doctor had not been able to figure out what I had or help me fix it. As soon as he heard my symptoms he told me he knew what I had (even before he did his physical examination). He prescribed me an ointment and I have been pain free for the first time in more than a year. When he did the physical examination he used his mirror to show me exactly what was going on that was causing my discomforts. Although this might make some people feel uncomfortable (I don't think it should because it is your own body you are looking at), I loved that he explained in so much detail why I had gone through so much discomfort for so long. The IUD insertion went great. I was lucky that I barely had any pain, however, I really appreciated that he warned me it could be painful and described what an abnormal reaction to it would look like. Since I was a bit nervous he told me I could call him at any time if I experienced any intense bleeding or pain. I would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

After reading the reviews for Dr. Tankel, I'm beginning to think that he might be a bit of an acquired taste. I saw Dr. Tankel a few months ago for an IUD insertion, and was warned beforehand to expect at least an hour wait. I wasn't too concerned and just brought a textbook to read and the wait was about as long as expected. Personally, I am very anxious and had never been to a gynecologist before, so I rather liked that he did most of the talking and even joking because it made me forget some of my anxieties and relax a bit more. He answered the few questions I had, but I had already done a lot of research online beforehand. He works quickly and efficiently, which I REALLY appreciate because I would not enjoy having a speculum inside me for longer than absolutely necessary, and I'm sure most would feel the same. He also always offers to let you see what hes doing or seeing, which I know might be cool for some but definitely wasn't for me! Yes, you will probably have to wait for a while, just bring a book or make an appointment for early in the morning. He's very straight forward, get's straight to the point and is very reassuring.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2016

This clinic is a complete joke. If you read this review ask your doctor to book you somewhere else.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

I was very impressed with my first visit to see Dr. Tankel other than the 5 hour wait. I suffer from vaginismus and he gave me lots of information about my condition. He told me to come in a week later with lidocaine gel that he prescribed for me. The next visit was very successful as he was able to insert his finger inside my vagina all the way! Yay! I've never been able to insert anything thoroughly before so I was quite happy. While he examined me he told me I would need to have a surgery due to my tight hymen. (hymenectomy)He believed this is what could have caused my vaginismus. For some reason Dr. Tankel called my surgery a "hymenorraphy." The point of my surgery was to remove my hymen, which he did (along with a lot of unnecessary skin tissue)A hymenorraphy is the repairment or reconstruction of the hymen usually performed on women who wish to restore their virginity. I have the opposite problem! Anyway, the surgery seemed to have went well at first...until I got out of bed. I felt like something just rapidly oozed out of my vagina. There was blood all over the floor and it wouldn't stop. **It didn't stop for 24 hours. Dr. Tankel came to check on me and said what's happening is perfectly normal believe it or not. I'm not a doctor but I know my own body and I know when I'm gushing blood all over the floor (and bed) for 24 hours something is not right. I thought I was going to die! Dr. Tankel's shift was over so I was left without my Gyno for the weekend. He simply just didn't care. Thankfully the wonderful Dr. Tsui took over and stitched up this large cut Dr. Tankel had made in my vagina. After my experience in the hospital, I don't know if I can trust Dr. Tankel again, who never took the blame for knicking me in there. As for the office staff, I don't know why everyone seems to have a problem with Amanda. She's always been very friendly and helpful to me. She has a bit of a dry personality but that doesn't make her a rude person. She always remembers my name by heart too!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Dr. Tankel has ridiculous wait times, but more than makes up for it in knowledgeability and bedside manner. It's not uncommon for his wait times to stretch past four hours so plan appropriately, but as a result, each patient gets exhaustive care – I have never felt better informed with any other doctor. Dr. Tankel does not coddle you and neither do his staff at the UHC, but the entire team is professional and helpful, and they're supportive of giving the patient of ALL of their options rather than simply telling them what to do. Opt for a different OBGYN if you want on-time appointments with lots of pleasantries, but if what you're seeking for is an extremely competent doctor with tons of experience and a specialization in pelvic pain (which is a rarity), Dr. Tankel is worth the wait.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

He's an OBGYN so clearly, one can't count on him being on time. If you want him there to deliver your baby, then you can't expect him not to be there for others. He's funny, reassuring, and always takes the time to answer my questions. I've had him for almost 20 years and he's fantastic. Couldn't ask for a better OBGYN. I just had an IUD inserted and yes, it hurt, but he was super quick and explained everything I needed to know. If you have Dr. Tankel, you're in good hands.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

The staff are horrible. They messed up every appointment we had, even appointments that weren't with the dr. They were rude everytime we spoke with them as well. Dr. Tankle was 2-8 hours behind schedule and took holidays the month we were due without telling us. He wasn't very nice, just went through the motions and pushed us out as fast as he could. After every encounter I wa Ted to switch doctors.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

I am so grateful with Dr. Tankel. He helped me to get pregnant after several early miscarriages, my baby girl will come in July and so far she is doing great . He answered all my questions in a clear way and he made me feel comfortable in each appointment. He is always late, but the wait is worth it. My only complain is about his staff sometimes they are rude.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

I saw Dr. Tankel at UHC, so I can't really comment on his staff. I went for an IUD insertion and I really liked him. I found his personable joking manner helpful for a procedure I was pretty anxious for. He did not give as much information as he could have regarding what to expect for the IUD, but he did know I was in health care and had researched it myself, so I'm not sure if this was his norm. He was very helpful with questions I had. Procedure was quick and less painful than expected, considering I was a bit of a complicated insertion. I didn't feel rushed during the appointment, which I love. His wait times can be unpredictable though. I absolutely do not blame him for this, but if you are someone who doesn't like waiting or does not have that flexibility, he may not be the doctor for you.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

Very rude receptionist. She is always rude whether you are talking over the phone or face to face. Yes, she never calls when Dr. Tankel is running late for appointments. I was also there for almost half an hour than she let me know that Dr. Tankle is running late. While I was there she was talking to this new mom, she was making faces so many time and so badly. That was so rude. I felt so bad for this new mom.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016