Ratings for Dr. Jonathan Tankel

Had an amazing experience with Dr tankel. The receptionist however needs to cheer up

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

I used to see Dr. Tankel at the university health clinic and felt that he was a fantastic doctor. 15 years later, I decided I wanted him To deliver my first baby, despite warnings from many people. At 29 weeks, I decided to switch OBs for several reasons. The first and most important reason was that I had an extremely difficult pregnancy and had debilitating migraines that made it impossible for me to attend work. When I asked him for a prescription or note to miss work, he wouldn't even let me finish, he said he didn't care that I had migraines and that I shouldn't miss work. 4 weeks later, I almost went into labour at 33 weeks and lost a lot of blood. There was no explanation for this, but that I was under a lot of stress. Thankfully, at this point, I was under another doctor's care and they put me off work so I was able to carry to Reem and prescribed something that was low risk for pregnancy for the headaches. Dr. Tankel had changed since I saw him years before. He seemed incredibly arrogant and did not put me at ease. I have no doubt that he has good knowledge, but I am not willing to continue dealing with all of the issues with him for that alone Dr. Tankel made me feel belittled for asking questions and didn't listen to me. I felt he was trite and condescending. His receptionist is rude to the point that I felt uncomfortable asking her any questions. The wait times are absolutely ridiculous even for an OB. I would not recommend this doctor for pregnancy and delivery.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

This doctor is always late. When you call him on it, all of a sudden your appointment is suddenly shortened and your concerns are not dealt with. His staff are rude and when you question your wait time they becone very defensive. Well my time is worthy also.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

I was extremely nervous about my appointment but was put at ease by Dr Tankels pleasant bedside manner, he took my issues seriously and answered every question, took the time to get to know me and my issues, he asked me to prioritize what was most important to work on first and he supported me in looking into fertility issues he was very knowledgeable and I feel so much better knowing he is on my case. I was taken in at the time of my appt and saw him 20 mins later which isn't too crazy in my book and I'd rather him prioritize patients giving birth or other issues because I hope one day he will do that for me (in regards to other posts on the amount of time it took to see him) I've heard horror stories of doctors not taking endometriosis symptoms or fertility issues seriously but he did and I greatly appreciate it.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

My first pregnancy and I see him at the University. I was mentally prepared regarding punctuality and wait times....so that was expected. Waiting for about 1-1.5 hr to finally meet him. Speaks real fast but no problem understanding..I believe he will slow.down if he knows you are not too fluent in English. I had a good impression on him and most people I know felt the same as well. He's confident with what he says or prescribed. He's a busy man but always make sure to answer any questions we have.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

As others have said, absolute WORST wait times EVER!!! Beyond frustrating. Yes, he is knowledgeable. A little shifty if you are educated and ask questions about his recommendations (he doesn't like that). Pushes IUD birth control like crazy. An excellent surgeon. But next time I'm going elsewhere - there are obgyns with better knowledge who are more respectful of patient time and less about lining their pockets with money. He starts his clinics (and double books patients) early in the morning, even though he knows he has c-sections scheduled for the exact same time. So he's two hrs behind at least starting the day, and this just gets worse throughout the day. My 1030am appointment always turned into 6-9pm and there were still ladies behind me waiting! You always call the receptionist before going for updated time, but expect to wait 4 hrs min in the waiting room anyway. Infuriating when your not pregnant...try adding hormones in the mix (never mind other children, paid parking and yes, most of us work! Try explaining that to a manager when you don't return. Even if you request the first 8am appointment, you are advised to come at 11am and you finish at 430). The guy is all about the money.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2017

If your looking to see him outside the university expect a wait. I write this from his office in the waiting room. It's been 2.5 hrs from the scheduled appointment. This may be a one time occurrence but I highly doubt that. I'm sure there's a better comprehensive doctor that can achieve the same thoroughness and actually stick to appointment times. Look around before you commit.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

Will you wait on him? Yes! Will you ever be seen on time? No! Will he answer your questions / concerns? Yes! Will he rush you? Never! I've personally had the Dr with me for over 45 minutes. I go through everything I need to and then some. I value his time and his opinions. I call ahead for every appointment knowing how long the wait is and his receptionist (who is more than just a receptionist) just advises me the best time to come in so the wait is minimal.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

I see him at the University clinic though he often seems confused about where he is and talks about his downtown clinic all the time, which I have never been to.He is at a minimum two hours late for every appointment, sometimes three. He makes ridiculous and inappropriate jokes and exhibits no familiarity with your situation, often issuing confusing and contradictory advice perhaps based on other patients he has seen. He speaks too rapidly, jumbling information together without letting you get a word in edgewise, and he is endlessly self-congratulatory about the supposedly excellent care he is giving you during his 3-5 minute, cursory examination. I sincerely hope he is not on call when I deliver. I would never recommend this buffoon to any pregnant person.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017