Ratings for Dr. Jonathan Tankel

I was very impressed with my first visit to see Dr. Tankel other than the 5 hour wait. I suffer from vaginismus and he gave me lots of information about my condition. He told me to come in a week later with lidocaine gel that he prescribed for me. The next visit was very successful as he was able to insert his finger inside my vagina all the way! Yay! I've never been able to insert anything thoroughly before so I was quite happy. While he examined me he told me I would need to have a surgery due to my tight hymen. (hymenectomy)He believed this is what could have caused my vaginismus. For some reason Dr. Tankel called my surgery a "hymenorraphy." The point of my surgery was to remove my hymen, which he did (along with a lot of unnecessary skin tissue)A hymenorraphy is the repairment or reconstruction of the hymen usually performed on women who wish to restore their virginity. I have the opposite problem! Anyway, the surgery seemed to have went well at first...until I got out of bed. I felt like something just rapidly oozed out of my vagina. There was blood all over the floor and it wouldn't stop. **It didn't stop for 24 hours. Dr. Tankel came to check on me and said what's happening is perfectly normal believe it or not. I'm not a doctor but I know my own body and I know when I'm gushing blood all over the floor (and bed) for 24 hours something is not right. I thought I was going to die! Dr. Tankel's shift was over so I was left without my Gyno for the weekend. He simply just didn't care. Thankfully the wonderful Dr. Tsui took over and stitched up this large cut Dr. Tankel had made in my vagina. After my experience in the hospital, I don't know if I can trust Dr. Tankel again, who never took the blame for knicking me in there. As for the office staff, I don't know why everyone seems to have a problem with Amanda. She's always been very friendly and helpful to me. She has a bit of a dry personality but that doesn't make her a rude person. She always remembers my name by heart too!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Dr. Tankel has ridiculous wait times, but more than makes up for it in knowledgeability and bedside manner. It's not uncommon for his wait times to stretch past four hours so plan appropriately, but as a result, each patient gets exhaustive care – I have never felt better informed with any other doctor. Dr. Tankel does not coddle you and neither do his staff at the UHC, but the entire team is professional and helpful, and they're supportive of giving the patient of ALL of their options rather than simply telling them what to do. Opt for a different OBGYN if you want on-time appointments with lots of pleasantries, but if what you're seeking for is an extremely competent doctor with tons of experience and a specialization in pelvic pain (which is a rarity), Dr. Tankel is worth the wait.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

He's an OBGYN so clearly, one can't count on him being on time. If you want him there to deliver your baby, then you can't expect him not to be there for others. He's funny, reassuring, and always takes the time to answer my questions. I've had him for almost 20 years and he's fantastic. Couldn't ask for a better OBGYN. I just had an IUD inserted and yes, it hurt, but he was super quick and explained everything I needed to know. If you have Dr. Tankel, you're in good hands.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

The staff are horrible. They messed up every appointment we had, even appointments that weren't with the dr. They were rude everytime we spoke with them as well. Dr. Tankle was 2-8 hours behind schedule and took holidays the month we were due without telling us. He wasn't very nice, just went through the motions and pushed us out as fast as he could. After every encounter I wa Ted to switch doctors.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

I am so grateful with Dr. Tankel. He helped me to get pregnant after several early miscarriages, my baby girl will come in July and so far she is doing great . He answered all my questions in a clear way and he made me feel comfortable in each appointment. He is always late, but the wait is worth it. My only complain is about his staff sometimes they are rude.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

I saw Dr. Tankel at UHC, so I can't really comment on his staff. I went for an IUD insertion and I really liked him. I found his personable joking manner helpful for a procedure I was pretty anxious for. He did not give as much information as he could have regarding what to expect for the IUD, but he did know I was in health care and had researched it myself, so I'm not sure if this was his norm. He was very helpful with questions I had. Procedure was quick and less painful than expected, considering I was a bit of a complicated insertion. I didn't feel rushed during the appointment, which I love. His wait times can be unpredictable though. I absolutely do not blame him for this, but if you are someone who doesn't like waiting or does not have that flexibility, he may not be the doctor for you.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

Very rude receptionist. She is always rude whether you are talking over the phone or face to face. Yes, she never calls when Dr. Tankel is running late for appointments. I was also there for almost half an hour than she let me know that Dr. Tankle is running late. While I was there she was talking to this new mom, she was making faces so many time and so badly. That was so rude. I felt so bad for this new mom.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016

Rude receptionist, No one calls to confirm appointment and I pay $12 for 2 hour parking. I booked a day off and I come into the appointment, there's a piece of paper on the desk to write my name down and when my appointment is. Then about 45 mins the receptionist calls me over to tell me he's 3 hours behind so did you want to rebook? Seriously?? No call or anything to tell me prior. Disappointed never coming back.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

Incredibly rude receptionist, don't know why she is kept on. I had my IUD inserted and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. His bedside manner was courteous and light hearted and I appreciated the quirky jokes. Insertion was done FAST even though there was a problem with my cervix. I trust his experience and expertise even though I did feel like he could have checked in on me better afterwards. I could hardly formulate words and I felt slightly abandoned after the procedure was finished. His love of IUDs worries me because I've noticed some uncomfortable changes and I feel that he would try to tell me it's an adjustment period or that I'm wrong. I don't think he would listen to me and trust my own judgement and experience of my body.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

Very knowledgable but always late and therefore too rushed to answer questions. I do however like his no-nonsense approach.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016