Ratings for Dr. R. S. Ahluwalia

I had been a patient of Dr. Raj. Ahluwalia since he was in Grant Park Shopping Centre, in Winnipeg. Even though I had an appointment, I was always asked to "take a number and wait", as if it was a telephone service in a mall, not a doctor's office. This is because he said he was required to also run a Walk-In clinic, assuring me that it wouldn't interfere with my waiting time past my appointment. That wasn't ever true! At first, Dr. Ahluwalia seemed to truly be concerned, and listened to my concerns, always ready to find a resolution. After awhile it seemed that his inefficient receptionist, although sugary sweet in her demeanor, didn't have much intelligence, nor qualifications to work in a medical physician's office. To be fair, at the beginning, Dr. Ahluwalia was helpful with my concerns about floaters in my direct line of vision, and possible serious eye damage, and referred me to Urgent Care at Misericordia Hospital, where I was referred to an eye surgeon. After a few years, Dr. Ahluwalia moved way out of my way, to near IKEA and the Golf Dome, Lindenwoods area. Bus service in the winter was horrendous, and the clinic waiting room was always cold. In that newer, pretty and much larger waiting room, it wasn't uncommon to have to wait a minimum of 3 hours past an appointment!! Must be why he had 2 giant TV screens, one on each side of the waiting room, so all patients, walkins and those with appointments, could be distracted by the length of time to wait, only to be seen by the Dr. for a maximum of 10 minutes. I had called the College of Physicians and Surgeons many times, until one time, the woman I spoke to was the first to enlighten me. Apparently, all the times I had previously called were for nothing, because the person listening to my complaints informed me that any concerns about a physician had to be made in a written letter, and sent by regular mail. The problems with Ahluwalia really came when I wanted him to attend to a previous diagnosis by my Gynecologist/Obstetrician, who birthed my children decades before. I now required a physician's referral to see the Gyne. doctor. So, I made an appointment, and came to Dr.Ahluwalia, expecting him to refer me. He told me that as my family physician, he could conduct the internal examination with me. (He also told me that my Gyne Dr had retired, and no one had taken over her patients, which I found out much later was untrue). In response to that, I told Dr.Ahluwalia, that as a male doctor, I had heard he had to have another female staff in the room with him when examining me, if he wouldn't refer me to my gyne. He said that he was often seeing my Gyne's former patients. After waiting for over 3 hrs I was then told to make yet another appt. for him to examine me. I reminded him that he needed a female with him. I spoke to his inept, yet pleasant receptionist to make another appt. When I returned to see Dr. A. again I had a wait for over 3 hrs past my appt. He told me to lay on the table, undress from the waist down, and cover with the paper sheet, he then left the room. I assumed that he was getting a female colleague to join him. When he returned about 15 mins later, it was just Dr. Ahluwalia, he proceeded to conduct the internal exam telling me he had checked with the College and didn't require a woman by his side. I was already in the stirrups so I allowed him to do the exam, and take a PAP test. Then I was told to make another appt. When I returned for that, Dr.A told me the test was clear, everything was okay. But it wasn't, I still had Lichen Sclerosis, which was causing urinary and fecal problems, not to mention the area in between. He assured me that I was okay. By the way, after he had performed the gyne exam at the previous appointment, he had told me my "private part" was Pretty!! When I said, "What?!" he replied that he meant it was all okay. Eventually I had to go to another walkin downtown, and was referred to a gynecologist, but it took a few months, because we also do not have enough gynecologists for all the female patients needing one. In my mind, Dr. Ahluwalia went from being a decent doctor, to one only driven by the money he made seeing more patients than he could handle. He is just plain creepy, and I have told all my female friends and family not to go to see him. Ever.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2017

Terrible! My pharmacist has caught so many errors on his prescriptions but cannot call him to clarify because he is too arrogant to admit his mistakes. Done with him! Anyone know why he has been suspended a few times by the College?

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

If you make an appointment then plan on waiting for over an hour as he books way too many people for the time slot, on many occasions i have seen people turned away after an hour of waiting. Dr Ahluwalia always tried to push pills on me that i didn't need, indeed, he prescribed the same drug to every member of my family which turned out to be addictive; even though he said that the pills wouldn't be. I have a medical problem that i repeatedly went back to him for (over the span of two years), he would't listen and seemed to send me for simple blood tests just to appease me (like i was a hypochondriac), i finally decided to find someone else and within three appointments, a doctor fresh out of medical school tracked down the problem and now my pain is under control. The staff are very unreliable and never pick up the phone, its all very sad as Dr Ahluwalia left me with the impression that making money is more important to him than the welfare of his patients.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2014

1st year I saw dr was ok as he would actually take time to explain things/answer questions. 1st receptionist had no clue what she was doing. I came for appts where she said I called to cancel (although I didn't) and every time I called to make appts she would say she couldn't find me in the system although I had been there times before. Wait times have gotten progressively longer. New receptionist..Yesterday my appt was at 10:40. I got there 5 mins early & 6 other people waiting. Waited an hr & 10 mins then asked how many ppl were ahead of me. She said 8. I said it didn't make sense. She said they make appts 20 mins apart and they were on the 9:40 appt. I said that wasn't possible as would mean only 3 ahead. So I waited..for 2 hours exactly. Told the dr who said sorry, didn’t seem to care. Told him I need prescriptions for trv vaccines, he tried to say I don’t need them. I said I didn’t just waste 2 hrs to not get them so he did and stormed out of room. Horrible staff, horrible dr!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2014

I have never encountered such poor office staff - Almost impossible to make an appointment because you never know when your call will be returned. The so-called secretary rarely picks up the phone. Extremely unprofessional.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2013

Seems to overbook too often and is difficult to book an appointment. Voice mail seems to be to be the method of contact. Nice person but spends too much time being a nice person.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2013

During an appointment with this doctor, I was asking questions about my diabetes when he stated he had no time and walked out of the appointment. I was unaware that the appointment had even ended until he failed to return and when I left the room he was already with another patient.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2013