Dr. Richard Harvey

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Richard Harvey

Six months ago my father suffered a severe noise bleed His GP could not stop it, so an ambulance was called Doctors tried to stop nose bleed on three different occasions. Eventually he was introduced to Prof Richard Harvey. I attended his surgery and was told that there was a small tumor that required surgery. This was a Wednesday and by Friday Prof Harvey had me in surgery(due to his age this was urgent) Following the operation Prof Harvey rand him several times over the weekend to see how he was felling. Prof Harvey is a true professional. The follow up visit showed that everything went well and healing.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2018

Prof Harvey did an excellent job on my nasal polyposis surgery it went so well without any pain at all just a bit of discomfort that's about it from what I heard he ranks among one of the best ENT specialist you will find.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

I struggled for a couple of years with Sinus issues brought on by severe nasal polyposis and my GP and Asthma specialists saw surgery as necessary. (95% blockage). I had lost my sense of smell altogether and sleep was extremely difficult. I had seen another ENT specialist, but was feeling unsure about surgery when I saw Dr Harvey and he was fantastic in understanding my concerns, speaking very clearly about the procedure and setting out possible outcomes openly, I felt very confident that I could entrust him to do it. My numerous questions did not irritate him! So I underwent Endoscopic sinus and septal surgery in January ‘17, very successfully and my gratitude to Dr Harvey is immense. I had minimal pain post surgery, and recovered very well, regained ability to smell, more so my nasal breathing was restored and I felt like a new person! Dr Harvey’s professionalism, bedside manner, after care and continued attention is truly exceptional. I do suffer from some intolerances/allergies that trigger Asthma and inflammatory conditions and ocassionally have small flare ups but my suffering is nothing like when my sinuses were blocked with polyps. I continue a daily sinus rinse routine with Pulmicort repsicules which is very effective. Dr Harvey continues to see me every 6 months and his continued attention, care, concern and following up is amazing. I have had a few surgeries in my life, but honestly no other doctor has personally phoned me at my home to check how I’m proceeding post surgery. Similarly his very professional office will always follow up on my prescriptions, referrals and the like with no urging from my end. I’m also very aware that Dr Harvey gives back to his profession in wonderful ways, each time I visit there is always a student he is teaching in the background, and he works in the developing world during breaks. A wonderful doctor, a wonderful human being! I feel blessed to have had his care.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

I had sinus problems for many years. I had two previous surgeries for this but the blockages reoccurred within weeks of the procedures.my only option was treatment with oral prednisone taken every three months for a ten day period. Whilst this treatment is highly effective it is not a good option for the long term as Prednisone has terrible side effects. I was advised by an acquaintence as he had been successfully treated and also by a couple of doctorsto seek help from Professor Harvey. It’s been well over two years now and my polyps are no longer a problem and I have normal sense of smell so that means my sense of taste is back to normal. The real advantage is that I can breathe normally rather than be contantly blocked and am no longer reaching for the tissue box. Whilst the surgery is far more radical, it was totally painless and much more successful than previously due to the current daily treatment being able to access a far greater area of my sinus as the bones have been removed. So instead of having to take regular treatment with oral prednisone I use a saline sinus rinse with a nebule of prednisone(Pulmicort) added to the rinse. No side effects. As far as I’m concerned it has been a miracle for me and I can also say that Professor Richard Harvey is one of the nicest most caring and efficient doctors I’ve ever dealt with . The post operative visits are painless and in my case the surgery was highly successful.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2018

I had chronic sinus pain and blockage that had got worse over a number of years. I had almost completely lost my sense of smell. I consulted my GP who suggested Dr Harvey. I made an appointment and immediately having met him and discussed my options felt very confident that he was the best doctor to deal with my problem. Dr Harvey was incredibly thorough and explained the surgical procedure which involved an operation to clear out my sinuses. Right through the process from beginning to end Dr Harvey was an excellent communicator. The operation went well and I had virtually no pain following the op. The follow-up was very good too and Dr Harvey rang me on the weekend to check how I was doing. I saw Dr Harvey three months after and he was very pleased with the results. All in all this was a very unobtrusive procedure and enhanced by Dr Harvey's professional staff and very nice rooms. I have since recommended Dr Harvey to a mate with a similar issue and would have to say it's one of the best experiences I've had with a medical professional.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

I am from Dubbo - Dr Harvey and his surgery arranged for me to have a consultation and treatment in the same week. I had previously had surgery for a tumor in my sinus- however it had grown straight back within a few weeks. Dr Harvey removed the tumor which was imbedded into the bone of my sinus. This surgery was successful and I have just had my post 1 year check with no sign of recurrence. Dr Harvey is a lovely man and explains treatment planning and outcomes very clearly. I count myself extremely lucky to have been referred to Dr Harvey. I have chosen to return to Sydney for my follow up appointments as I have great faith in Dr Harvey and would prefer to see him and his staff.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2018

In the year 2000 I began to have continual hay fever and sinus problems. I saw an allergy specialist then an ENT who treated me with many different medications and over the next few years performed 7 surgeries for re-growing polyps. I have Samter's Triad; asthma, nasal polyps and a severe allergy to aspirin. The polyps continued to re-grow and life was very miserable. I was referred to a different ENT who performed another surgery including drilling (at the inner edge of my eyebrows) into my frontal sinuses. This was very painful. Again the polyps returned and after 2 years I had to have another surgery with this same ENT. Always I was told after the surgeries, "we'll see you when the polyps regrow." I now had had 9 surgeries and no hope of an end in sight. At a dental appointment I was discussing my ongoing problems. My dentist found me the name of Dr Richard Harvey and recommended I see him. At this stage my sinuses were very bad and I relied on daily anti histamines, pain killers and nasal sprays just to get on with my life. Meeting Richard, immediately I felt confident that he would help me. He offered a treatment regimen after surgery that hopefully will prevent or at least slow down the polyp growth. My surgery in October went very well and I have the utmost confidence that I am on the road to recovery. For the first time in 17 years I can smell. Richard is kind, considerate and understands that this chronic condition has ruled my life. He has given me hope that I will continue to get better. Everyone on Richard's team are thoughtful and lovely people.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2017

In the later months of 2016, MRI scans discovered I had a very large meningioma (6 cm x 5 cm) sitting on top of smell receptors at the base of my skull. My diagnosis was a shock to say the least. I was referred to Professor Richard Harvey for treatment. From the moment I sat down in Professor Harvey’s clinic, I felt a sense of calm. He explained everything succinctly and yet comprehensively enough for me to fully understand and I had opportunities to ask questions. His quiet, unassuming, yet caring manner allowed me to feel comfortable enough to open up and discuss my concerns re upcoming surgery. My greatest fears prior to surgery were how a tumour of this magnitude could be safely removed without damaging my optic nerve or major blood vessels that sat very close by, and if the tumour were malignant. Professor Harvey did explain that the type of tumour I had was 90% benign, but surgical excision would be the only guarantee of that. Late Sept 2016, I was booked in for extensive brain surgery. Professor Harvey and another highly skilled and regarded surgeon Dr Andrew Davidson (Neurosurgeon) would perform my surgery. The plan going in was 3 fold: They would attempt to remove as much of the tumour as possible through endoscopic surgery. Following this, if necessary a small incision was to be made through my left brow. This could potentially allow both surgeons to collaboratively remove other unreachable sections of the tumour. Finally, a craniotomy would be the final stage of the operation. During this phase it was anticipated that complete removal of all remaining sections of the tumour would occur. Needless to say, I was aware that the significance of what I was about to undergo was nothing short of a medical miracle, as too were the potential risks. Following my Initial Consultation with Professor Harvey, I mulled over everything in my mind. Surreal as the situation was, I felt utter calm with the fact that this was something I just had to do. My reaction to what I was about to embark on was perhaps one of my greatest life challenges. It was something that I had to dig deep for; find my personal strength. Mere words cannot express my gratitude to Professor Harvey and Dr Andrew Davidson. Without their collaborative brilliance and personal skill set of the highest calibre, I would never have been able to muster the emotional strength to front up on my surgery day and feel that I would be OK. I honestly felt and still believe that they both cared about how I would cope with the surgery – both emotionally and physically. Having both these incredible surgeons assure me that my surgery had every chance of being successful put me of the mindset that it would be. My utmost respect goes to Professor Harvey and his full team. Today marks 14 months on from my surgery - My tumour was in fact benign and it was completely removed - a brilliant success. I believe the surgery itself was some 10 hours in duration. To have the great misfortune with my health in 2016 and paradoxically come across a brilliant human being who performs medical miracles with such humility has been life changing for me. May I also mention – Prior to my surgery, both Professor Harvey and Dr Andrew Davidson didn't think it possible to remove my entire tumour with endoscopic surgery. However, they managed to!!! I didn't have a craniotomy! As a female with long hair, I didn’t have to endure such a procedure. When I woke from surgery and touch my head, I cried – I still had hair. I later spoke with one of the many Doctors involved with my surgery and found out that Professor Harvey spent some 2 hours working meticulously to extract a large segment of bone at the base of my skull - this enabled both he and Dr Davidson to have an open passageway to perform their work solely by endoscopic surgery- my miracle. I would also like to say that my subsequent check-ups have continued to be nothing less than encouraging, reassuring and of course at my most recent check-up, I felt pride walking in to see Professor Harvey and showing him the result of his wonderful work....a very happy and healthy patient – me  I'm aware that Professor Harvey is heavily involved in research, a supervisor of numerous international specialists in training, and obviously lives a very full life pioneering medical breakthroughs in all types of nose and base of skull surgery. Anyone who has the fortune of having him as their Specialist is in the very best of hands (literally). Thank you also to lovely Susan who is Professor Harvey's Practice Manager - nothing is, or has ever been too difficult for her in organising many matters for me. Every single interaction I've had with Susan has been professional, warm and meticulous. Thank you Susan!

flag | Submitted December 9, 2017

I found Professor Harvey after an unsatisfactory experience with a Central Coast Ear Nose and throat specialist. I had undergone sinus surgery which left me with daily severe headaches and no satisfactory explanation as to why these were occurring. Professor Harvey gave me confidence that with a further operation he repair the work done by the previous surgeon and restore the functionality of my sinuses. I went ahead with the surgery which led to a rapid recovery and was surprisingly free of post operative pain. I was in and out of the hospital in the same day. I had great discomfort with the previous operation due to pressure from ballon like inserts in my nose to stop bleeding. Professor Harvey did not use this technique but stopped any bleeding in a less painful and more effective way. I had been offered further surgery by my previous ENT specialist but that would have required holes drilled into my forehead which Professor Harvey deemed completely unnecessary despite his intention to undertake more extensive surgery. It has now been more than three months since Professor Harvey has operated on my sinuses and I an completely free of headaches and sinus infection and I am able to breath through my nose far better than I have for many years. I am very pleased that I met Professor Harvey and was able to benefit from his unique skills.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

I was referred to Professor Richard Harvey by another highly regarded Professor of Rhinology, who had determined that I had major sinus issues that he couldn’t deal with himself including nasal polyps, scaring and a perforated septum from an operation I had 20 years before. Since that operation I had relied on nasal sprays, but these had stopped working for me, and even more worrying I had lost my sense of smell for approximately 3 years. I clearly had major sinus issues and Richard Harvey was the best in his field to find a solution for me. When I met Richard I immediately felt at ease and he carefully explained the options that were available to me and in my ‘last chance saloon’ situation that was very reassuring. When the time came for the operation Richard teamed up with an excellent Anaesthetist and I went into the operating theatre with a high level of confidence. The operation was a big success and although it took over 4 hours, I was able to go home the same day, I could breathe easily without any packing in my nose and more or less immediately my sense of smell returned, I could smell the roses! Richard’s post-operative care has also been highly professional and he delights in the progress I have made as his patient. He is also a mentor for young ENT Doctors from around the world which is a testament to his passion for his job, professionalism and far reaching reputation. If you are like me and have deferred surgery for too long, or are nervous about what it entails, you are in excellent hands with Richard Harvey and I wholeheartedly recommend him.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

Dr. Richard Harvey's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Richard currently works as a dedicated rhinologist (nose, sinus, allergy and endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery) at Macquarie University and St Vincent’s Hospitals in Sydney. He is the program head of Rhinology & Skull Base Surgery at the Applied Medical Research Center of UNSW and is Professor at both the University of NSW and Macquarie University. After several years of post-training fellowships, including formal fellowships in the USA and UK, Richard practices in Sydney, Australia, as one of only a few dedicated rhinologists in the country. He has authored over 250 publications, books, book chapters and completed his PhD in trans-nasal skull base surgery. Richard has presented over 500 lectures and talks on sino-nasal disease management. He is the current Editor-in-chief of the Australian Journal of Otolaryngology (ww.w.TheAJO.com) as well as an associate editor for the Cochrane ENT disorders group currently. Richard contributes to the editorial board for Rhinology Journal, American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy and the International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology and is actively involved in research programs in Sydney. He is the recipient of the Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery Medal for Distinguished Contribution to the Art and Science of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, intended to recognise members who are providing outstanding OHNS services beyond their normal practice activities. Along with training surgeons in both developed and emerging countries, Richard runs a series of courses with Sydney every year to further rhinologic education and training in Australia.

• English

• University of New South Wales (Grad. 1997)
  • University of Oxford (Grad. 1999)
  • Medical University of South Carolina (Grad. 2006)

• Chronic sinusitis