Dr. Richard Harvey

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Richard Harvey

Professor Harvey stands out from the rest! If you're looking for a top specialist he is the one. In the first five minutes of my consultation I knew he was the Dr for me. His knowledge, expertise & professionalism are more than impressive. This man genuinely cares about his patients and it shows. Having had recent surgery with him & despite the fact he is such a busy specialist he will always find the time to reassure & make a patient feel happy & comfortable about everything. He's nothing short of a genius in his field and very modest. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017

I approached Professor Harvey with an inflammatory condition that had reduced my quality of life. I was not able to breathe properly, could not sleep well or concentrate at work and felt like I had run out of options. From the first appointment, Professor Harvey gave me hope that things could be different. He outlined a treatment and maintenance regime with clarity, purpose and empathy. Since then, I have had two procedures with Professor Harvey and worked with him on an ongoing maintenance program. Approaching the condition in this way has dramatically improved my quality of life and put me on a path to long-term control. I am forever grateful for his ongoing professionalism, understanding and unwavering commitment.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2017

wow... I had the same experience as the patient below. Dr Harvey was extremely knowledgable and helpful. He and his team Dr Winder did a wonderful job with removing the pituitary tumour I had. everything was explained to me thoroughly pre and post surgery. Dr Harvey is very professional friendly and caring, I would highly recommend him. Not to mention that he is passionate about educating young doctors and contributing to medical research which I highly respect. Thanks Dr Harvey!

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Approximately three months ago I was diagonosed with a pituitary adenoma which is a type of brain tumour. This diagnosis was completely unexpected. My first consultation was with Dr Mark Winder, neurosurgeon. It was during this consultation that I was informed that a team of medical specialists would be involved in my care. I was informed that Prof Richard Harvey ENT would be responsible for providing access, through the nasal passage, to the tumour location, allowing Dr Winder to remove the tumour, while Prof Jerry Greenfield endocrinologist would monitor the functioning of the pituitary gland both prior to the surgery and post the surgery. I am now at the three month mark following my surgery and am pleased to say that all has gone very well. I am extremely grateful to the three specialists involved in my care. At every consultation, both in the rooms and during my hospital stay, they provided answers to all my questions and showed understanding and empathy. It was very clear that the three specialists worked as a team and this increased my sense of comfort during what was an anxious time. It was obvious that they had a rapport with each other and this increased my confidence that they were aware of my progress at every step of the process. Since the surgery I have seen Prof Harvey in his rooms on two further occassions. The first was three weeks following the surgery during which he removed the nasal splints which had been inserted in the nasal passage during the surgery. Prof Havrvey had provided me with guidance as to the care I should take during my initial discharge from hospital and when he removed the nasal splints, he was very pleased with the healing process. My second follow up was at the three month mark and after removing some residual 'crusting', Prof Harvey was pleased to inform me that all was good and he would next see me in a year's time. One of the impressive parts of this entire process is the technology involved. Not only would Prof Harvey inform me as to what he was about to do, I could also see what he was doing! A monitor was directly infront of me and I could witness first hand the work he had carried out during the surgery and how the healing process was progressing. While some may find this somewhat confronting, for me it was another way of increasing my confidence that my body was healing. While the expertise of Prof Harvey was invaluable to the outcome I have had, I must also mention the assistance offered by Susan, his practice manager. In these medical situations every gesture of understanding is amplified. Taking time off work is not easy, and understandably my partner also wanted to be with me at these appointments. We aimed to see all the doctors on the one day so that we only needed to take one day off work. Susan always aimed to accomodate this. On one occassion when we had already made our next appointment with Dr Winder, and Prof Harvey was unavailable on that particular day, without our asking her, Susan called Dr Winder's practice manager, Wendy and between them they found a suitable date where we would see Dr Winder and 9am followed by Prof Harvey at 10am. This type of thing is stressful enough so it's a relief when you have people working in your favour. My partner and I would higly recommend Prof Harvey and his team.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2017

From the first consultation to my post operation it was all a very smooth experience. Highly recommend professor Harvey as he is highly knowledgable and articulate enough to explain the whole process quite simply. My operation was successful and everyone in the practice contributed to making it all quite hassle free. If you need an ENT, Richard is the man!

flag | Submitted June 9, 2017

First available appointment was in three months. One week before commencing, it was rescheduled from the morning of 16 to the 17 of May due to Dr Harvey’s ‘personal emergency to attend to’ (email from his rooms). I arrived at 8:15 am, ONE HOUR before my appointment, receptionist arrived after 9 am, and Dr. Harvey after 9:30 am for my 9:15 am appointment. I’ve waited for another 15 min to be called in before leaving his practice in order to make it to my next appointment (1/2 an hour in total past my appointment time). There was no communication between doctor-receptionist-patient. I had no answers on my questions. I would accept that Dr Harvey was late due to visiting his patients at the hospital, if only he had surgeries on the previous day and not a ‘personal emergency to attend to’, I was told (email from his rooms) that he will be in the operation theatre the entire following day. I would also accept that Dr Harvey has been late for my appointment due to spending more than 15 min with the previous patient, if only I was not the FIRST and ONLY patient when I’ve left his rooms at 9:45 am. Furthermore, Dr. Harvey’s family (both parents, perhaps?) was also in the waiting room with me since 8:30 am and I heard them speaking on a phone with Dr. Harvey (small space), which clearly means that he was not engaged with patients before his arrival. I have travelled three hours from Salamander Bay for my THREE appointments of that day. Initially, I built my entire visit to Sydney around that ENT appointment, but Dr Harvey’ had different from my agenda. I was just an inconvenience of that morning for which he knew he will be compensated; however, I was not sure if I’ll have a productive consultation for my contribution, judging by his approach that I was already observing. Shortly after I left, his receptionist called me to say that Dr Harvey is looking for me. No apologies, of course.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

successful operation. he is very knowledgable and caring after operation.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

I had three previous operations for lack of smell and taste and had all but given up hope that my condition could be improved. At my first contact Prof Harvey assured me that the situation could be improved and with some medicinal management regimes it did improve. Eventually surgery was recommended and one year later my improvement is complete and my lifestyle is much improved. I agree with all the other comments that Prof Harvey has a fantastic bedside manner and he is one of the best doctors that I have ever visited. Many thanks to you Prof Harvey.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

I could not be more pleased with the outcome of my operation achieved by Prof.Harvey. I cannot recommend him highly enough. Every aspect of my dealings with Prof. Harvey himself or with his staff assured me i was in very good hands. His approach is thorough, personable and professional in all aspects. His genuine connection made me feel no question or enquiry was excessive or unworthy of me asking. Communication and flexibility when any change was required with his Office team was always easily resolved. The entire experience, from my initial consultation thru to the Operation and all follow up has been faultless.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

Dr Harvey is the most approachable and professional Doctor and he is a leader of a wonderful team. I met him and instantly felt his professionalism , warmth and positive manner. He was very knowledgeable about my particular problem and his expertise and explanations, gave me hope for a successful outcome. I felt I was in good hands. My wife's friend also had a successful outcome with Professor Harvey and this positivity prepared me for the operation. As this was a recurring problem I knew the procedure but the advanced endoscopic surgery proved to be revolutionary and made my recovery smooth. Professor Harvey worked alongside another colleague for my surgery and they both made a formidable team. Both doctors were committed to the best possible outcome for me. It was rewarding to hear each other being so unassuming about their talents. Well done to both, such a nice approach. The follow ups after surgery have been caring, detailed and informative. Professor Harvey makes me feel a worthy patient and takes the time to genuinely care for me and my successful recovery. I would not hesitate to recommend him to future patients, you will be treated with the greatest professionalism. Thank you Peter.

Submitted June 6, 2016

Dr. Richard Harvey's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Richard currently works as a dedicated rhinologist (nose, sinus, allergy and endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery) at Macquarie University and St Vincent’s Hospitals in Sydney. He is the program head of Rhinology & Skull Base Surgery at the Applied Medical Research Center of UNSW and is Professor at both the University of NSW and Macquarie University. After several years of post-training fellowships, including formal fellowships in the USA and UK, Richard practices in Sydney, Australia, as one of only a few dedicated rhinologists in the country. He has authored over 150 publications, books, book chapters and completed his PhD in trans-nasal skull base surgery. He is the current Editor-in-chief of the Australian Supplement of the Journal of Laryngology and Otology as well as an associate editor for the Cochrane ENT disorders group currently. Richard contributes to the editorial board for Rhinology Journal, American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy and the International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology and is actively involved in research programs in Sydney. Richard runs a series of courses with Sydney every year to further rhinologic education and training in Australia.

• English

• University of New South Wales (Grad. 1997)
  • University of Oxford (Grad. 1999)
  • Medical University of South Carolina (Grad. 2006)

• Chronic sinusitis