Ratings for Prof. Richard Harvey

H.H.T. Patient Review of personal experience with Professor Richard Harvey E.N.T. Specialist. I have had a long history of visiting ENT Specialists with very mixed results. The reason is I suffer with a rare Medical Condition - Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT), which has resulted in my having nose bleeds of varying frequency and severity throughout my life. HHT is a vascular condition in which arteries and veins in parts of the body are malformed and distorted. They are known as AVMs. Although rare in the general community, AVMs are common in people with HHT. I have had Electro Cautery and KTP Laser treatments by different ENT Specialists, however nose bleeding has continued to be a problem. These treatments provided spasmodic short periods of relief, but can inflict damage to the delicate nasal mucosa, as well as risking perforation of the nasal septum. I first attended Professor Harvey’s rooms in 2016 after a recommendation at a HHT seminar in Melbourne. Having an ENT Specialist who is knowledgeable and experienced, with significant successful results is very important. I would advocate that Professor Harvey is an extremely capable ENT Specialist in whom a patient can have great confidence. He is warm, friendly and welcoming as well as being very thorough. Professor Harvey’s careful attention to my HHT history and to details of recent nose bleeds, his calm and considered approach, as well as clear explanations of his findings on my nasal condition, made me realise he is the most capable Specialist to have ever examined my nose. I felt confident knowing I was in the hands of a specialist of extraordinary ability in terms of knowledge and experience, who has a very caring attitude toward his patients. He noted the frequency and severity of my bleeding particularly. His examination of my nose using a camera and screen was thorough and he noted troublesome telangiectases needing attention. Professor Harvey performed Coblation Septal Telangiectasia in September 2016 after which he visited me to enquire how I was feeling and what I could expect after surgery. The procedure certainly reduced my nose bleeding. However, in December 2016, I started having very severe nasal bleeding. In January 2017, I haemorrhaged uncontrollably from the nose on 3 separate occasions and was taken by ambulance to the A&E at a local hospital each time. The attending doctor packed my nose using “Rapid Rhinos” in both nostrils. After the third incident, the ENT surgeon at the local hospital wanted to perform an electro cautery on my nose, but I refused, as I had an appointment with Professor Harvey the following week. Professor Harvey performed a coblation and limited Septodermoplasty at Macquarie University Hospital on 9 February 2017. He was once again very concerned about everything going smoothly after the operation. He telephoned from overseas and asked if I had any pain, soreness or any other symptoms. I was able to assure him that I had some minor soreness and minor pain but nothing else. After 3 or 4 days everything settled down after I carefully followed Professor Harvey’s instructions. I felt confident I was on the way to making a full recovery. He confirmed this when I subsequently visited his rooms. I felt words could not express my gratitude to him for his magnificent work. Since having that operation my life has been transformed from someone afraid to venture out because I might experience a severe nose bleed, to a person who can lead a comparatively “normal” life. I am no longer continually fatigued and lethargic due to blood loss, able to do light exercise, work in my garden as well as attend educational classes. I do have some minor nose bleeding occasionally, however blood tests reveal that my haemoglobin levels are within the normal range. I should mention there are other “management factors” that help to limit my bleeding. These include: • Avoiding stressful situations • A more accepting attitude to having HHT • Limiting physical activities to manageable levels • Avoiding medications, beverages, and dietary items that have blood-thinning properties. I believe such measures help complement Professor Harvey’s good work and reduce incidences and volume of bleeding. These life-style changes require considerable self-discipline, but worth the effort. Recent studies undertaken by HHT researchers, with support from an organisation called “Cure HHT”, support the above statement. The link is: https://curehht.org - a very informative HHT educational site with a lot of useful, basic information as well as webinars and more advanced data. As there are a considerable number of people with HHT in Australia needing ENT specialists, I hope my experience is helpful in assisting them to source the expertise they need to manage this condition. I would recommend, with confidence, Professor Harvey as the most highly qualified and experienced ENT surgeon I have found in Australia.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2019

Very knowledgeable and helpful team, impressive results. Prof Harvey's approach solved my sinus and breathing problems no other ENT and 3 previous operations solved before. I am 41 years old and had problems with my nose since childhood. I had 3 previous operations in the past 25 years and constant visits to different ENTs and allergist consultants. In the past 5 years I was constantly tired, sleep deprived, and had very reduced capacity to breathe through my nose. I had a reoccurring sinusitis, which required me to take antibiotics on average 3 times a year and all together had a big impact on my quality fo life. I went to Professor Harvey simply to try to manage my symptoms – as another operation was not under consideration. His methodical and scientific approach combined to a very convenient allergy treatment showed me I was in the best hands. After one year of allergy treatment, no reoccurring sinusitis and no antibiotics, Prof Harvey started to consider the physical aspects of my nose that were reducing my ability to breathe, what happened with previous operations and explained what he would do differently. His confidence and knowledge are very impressive and he gave me confidence to move forward with another operation. It has been almost 4 months since I did a full nose reconstruction. The recovery was much easier and bruises minimal compared to previous operations. I now sleep so well, like I have never slept in my life! I can breathe though my nose, smell things and I stopped snoring (good for the family!!!). I am grateful I decided to take this step and grateful to Prof. Harvey and his Team for the fantastic work and all assistance before operation, during my recovery and now. Prof Harvey and his Team look at the problems through combined angles (-i.e. not just the nose or just the allergy). My experience is that makes the entire treatment more efficient, pleasant and convenient (one stop to deal with it all). The result, again, changed my life in a very positive way. My new nose looks really good outside too! I had to reconstruct the tip of the nose as it was shorten so many times by previous ops - I now look more refreshed, with slightly finer lines, but it is still me, my personality! Friends could not notice I did a big operation within three weeks after that. I could not be happier!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2019

At 70 years of age I have suffered on and off for decades from sinus swelling leading to breathing discomfort and unsettled sleep. I am very grateful indeed that I was referred to Professor Richard Harvey who has provided professional and personal care of a very high order. After surgery I feel "20 years younger" and only wish that I had been able to benefit from such care decades earlier. It is now 6 months since my operation and the benefits continue.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2019

I started getting nasal polyps when I was 28 years old. I was actually diagnosed with Samter's Triad which is a combination of having nasal polyps, asthma and aspirin sensitivity. I was getting endoscopic surgery to remove the polyps every 18 months. This would give me about 6 months sinus relief where I could breathe somewhat comfortably. Then my sinuses would be blocked again, full of polyps. I had the most aggressive kind. I have had 8 operations over 15 years including my first with Professor Richard Harvey. The last 2 operations before Profssor Harvey were 4 years apart which was a huge win from doing it every 18 months. Maybe due to diet changes, experimenting with new medications and removing dust mites from my environment (was allergic to them). These were the few of many precautions I took to live a normal life. The constant struggles of blowing my nose constantly everyday, not sleeping solidly for more than 4 hours and having no sense of smell was slowly eating away at my hope for finding a permanent solution. I was skeptical when I first met Professor Richard Harvey. After many years of seeing so many different specialists, it was hard for me to believe Richard could deliver a result that was better than what I had experienced. Richard suggested a procedure and was in providing a solution which would help maintain clear sinuses and prevent polyps from returning. He even mentioned the possibility of smell returning. After some careful consideration, I decided to go ahead with the procedure. It was a big decision as I felt I had put my body through many operations and prescription drugs and was slightly concerned to do another procedure which was more intrusive than previous ones. 4 weeks after my operation, my sinuses were very, very clear. At the time, I did not get excited. I thought to myself, let’s see if it remains this way. Richard told me after my first post operation consult, that my smell would come back. Within a week, it did. Not only could I breathe clearly but I could smell again and therefore have some flavour when eating food. But again, I wasn’t going to get excited as I wanted to see how long this would last for. 1 year after the operation, not one single polyp has returned and I still have my smell. Except for when I get a cold which is the normal experience one has! The quality of my life is much better and I feel normal again. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and can finally relax from the pressures of finding solutions, natural or alternative. Interestingly, since the operation, my white blood cell count has dropped back to normal range indicating that I am less allergy prone. My overall health has improved significantly. Zoran.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2019

Very happy with the operation and thanks again Richard Regards Khalid

flag | Submitted August 1, 2019

wonderful and thorough surgeon. fully explained the procedure and allayed all my concerns. I can now breathe comfortably and also sleep through the night. My previous Ent surgeon was dismissive of my concerns whereas prof Harvey actually listened. Highly recommended

flag | Submitted June 12, 2019

For many years I had what I thought to be sinus issues and post nasal drip and blocked nose and bleeding and crusting issues. I had been to the Dr on many occasions for infections which would then travel down to my chest and then having to use endless nasal sprays and antihistamines with little relief and I felt exhausted from antibiotics being taken for the endless infections. I finally saw a lovely specialist who saw nothing too out of the ordinary on my CT scans but when he looked up my nose he was shocked to find a large septal perforation. He said that the only ENT surgeon that he would allow me to attend to have it repaired was Prof Richard Harvey. I followed his advice and saw Prof Harvey and he fully explained the procedure that he would need to do to close my septal perforation. I arranged for the surgery to go ahead and I had been told that I would look totally normal when leaving the hospital because the work to be done is all inside the nose and that I would have very little pain. I found this to be very accurate. I awoke from surgery and had no pain and my husband drove me home shortly after the surgery. Yes I experienced extensive swelling within the nasal passages for the next week and there was a bit of pressure but I had no pain and certainly didn't require any pain meds other than the occasional Panadol. I did experience a fair amount of blood dripping from my nose so I used a nasal sling which took care of that and I was not allowed to bend over because that would create more pressure and bleeding. However I was up and about and feeding and rugging the horse and walking the dogs and doing the usual household chores and as the swelling went down with the assistance of a week on steroids and strong antibiotics to cover me I began to get air through my nasal passages. It did take a few weeks before I could breathe properly but I got better and better each day. I am very glad that I went ahead with the surgery. Since then I have had no infections and no nasal crusting and no bleeding and my nose continues to feel better each day. I continue to use saline nasal flushes and that is very helpful. I do have some very mild numbness within the right nasal passage were the flap to cover my perforation was performed and a tiny spot behind my two upper front teeth but this is something that will fade with time and it in no way concerns me or bothers me. I also find Prof Harvey to be one of the most personable surgeons that I have ever met. He is delightful and extremely informative and shows great empathy.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2018

I have had sinus problems for many years. After using steroid sprays, antibiotics & antihistamines I was feeling constantly tired, sick & irritable. Dr Harvey diagnosed me with non allergic rhinitis & recommended that I use capsicum spray. I thought that was weird but decided I had nothing to lose by starting this treatment. This was in May. I know feel wonderful- my breathing is clear, no headaches, I have lots of energy & cold, hot, windy weather, air conditioning, & fragrances etc no longer bother my nose. I use the sprays for a few days every month when I feel my old symptoms returning. For me Dr Harvey has been a miracle worker. Deborah Drexler

flag | Submitted November 18, 2018

Having had three previous sinus surgeries I was hopeful but not completely confident that a fourth would be any more successful. How wrong I was. Prof. Richard Harvey operated in January and I have had no blockages and full sense of taste and smell ever since. The post op care has been easy and simple and after 30 odd years of constant sinus problems I couldn’t be happier. I am so happy I decided to see Prof. Harvey and would highly recommended him to anyone who has sinus issues. Great doctor, wonderful staff and very professional practice. Steve Glennon

flag | Submitted November 16, 2018

Suffering from severe sinus infections and pain for many years, and undergoing surgery twice in Canberra without any success, it was suggested I get another opinion by visiting the Riverina Respiratory and Sleep Centre in Wagga. Fortunately a visiting Specialist from Sydney, Dr Anthony Byrne, was able to see me and referred me to Prof Richard Harvey at the Sydney Ear Nose and Throat Clinic. After a thorough examination and explanation of my condition by Richard Harvey, and at the age of 71, I decided that I would undergo a new procedure for my chronic sinus called Endoscopic sinus surgery Lothrop + Medical Maxillectomy at Macquarie University Hospital. From my first consultation with Richard Harvey and over the past two years, I have found him a thorough gentleman, an excellent communicator to both myself and my wife in explaining the procedures taken, and the care that has followed, since 28th April 2016. My surgery has been a great success with no reoccurrence as long as I follow post-op orders. As mentioned it is now two years since the operation and I am the best I have been for 30 years. The staff working for Richard are caring and helpful. I would highly recommend Prof Richard Harvey to anyone with a sinus condition and know that you will be in very capable hands. Sincere thanks to a great Doctor for a job well done. Denis McRae

flag | Submitted September 27, 2018

Prof. Richard Harvey's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Richard currently works as a dedicated rhinologist (nose, sinus, allergy and endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery) at Macquarie University and St Vincent’s Hospitals in Sydney. He is the program head of Rhinology & Skull Base Surgery at the Applied Medical Research Center of UNSW and is Professor at both the University of NSW and Macquarie University. After several years of post-training fellowships, including formal fellowships in the USA and UK, Richard practices in Sydney, Australia, as one of only a few dedicated rhinologists in the country. He has authored over 250 publications, books, book chapters and completed his PhD in trans-nasal skull base surgery. Richard has presented over 500 lectures and talks on sino-nasal disease management. He is the current Editor-in-chief of the Australian Journal of Otolaryngology (ww.w.TheAJO.com) as well as an associate editor for the Cochrane ENT disorders group currently. Richard contributes to the editorial board for Rhinology Journal, American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy and the International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology and is actively involved in research programs in Sydney. He is the recipient of the Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery Medal for Distinguished Contribution to the Art and Science of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, intended to recognise members who are providing outstanding OHNS services beyond their normal practice activities. Along with training surgeons in both developed and emerging countries, Richard runs a series of courses with Sydney every year to further rhinologic education and training in Australia.

• English

• University of New South Wales (Grad. 1997)
  • University of Oxford (Grad. 1999)
  • Medical University of South Carolina (Grad. 2006)

• Chronic sinusitis