Ratings for Dr. Gene Devora

I went to Dr. Devora to treat me for hives. After suffering with hives for a few months, I finally went to see an allergist. Happy to say I now have my hives under control. No more awful itching and pesky hives.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

I've had a problem with dysphagia for over 40 years and have had my esophagus dilated periodically. My GI doctor referred me to Dr. Devora to try to identify the allergy cause of my eosinophilic esophagitis. After 90 days on an elimination diet, I had another scope with my GI doc and my esophagus is clear of eosinophils....first time in over 40 years! I'm now adding foods back to see if we can pinpoint the particular food(s) causing the problem. Skin tests are negative all foods, but the literature states the approx. 75% of eosinophilic patients who test negative on skin tests respond positively to the elimination diet. I'm happy with my progress and with Dr. Devora and his staff.

Submitted September 23, 2017

I had a great experience with Dr. Devora. I was avoiding shrimp for many years because I had a reaction. Surprised that his tests were negative. Then he told me to bring in shrimp and his nurse gave me a little bit at a time until I ate it all. I was surprised again that I didn't react to it. I have now been eating shrimp for several months after probably having avoided it for no reason for all these years. Very happy I can eat shrimp again.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

This doctor is working in the dark ages of allergy science. He doesn't even use placebo method if you get to the stage of food testing. Agreed he is a joke and his bedside manner is deplorable. Save yourself the trouble.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Dr. Gene Devora

Dr. Gene Devora's response
We take all feedback (good or bad) seriously. I will respectively disagree with this review in regards to the communication and care my team and I provide to our patients. We realize that patients expect and deserve great service in addition to excellent healthcare treatment, and we strive to deliver a great experience to each patient at our clinic. Treating food allergies is similar to many other conditions, where the suggested treatment or evaluation may not be the same for each patient due to their specific symptoms, history, testing, etc. For example, if a patient is concerned about food allergy, an allergy doctor takes a detailed history and might perform food allergy testing. The testing might involve a skin prick test or food specific IgE blood work. In some cases, both testing methods might be recommended to better determine the probability of what is called an “IgE mediated” food allergy. Patients who test negative for a food via both skin prick and laboratory studies (food specific IgE) have a low probability of having an IgE mediated allergy to that food. To make the definitive diagnosis or completely rule out a food allergy, an allergist will often recommend and oral food challenge (OFC). An OFC is used to make the definitive diagnosis of a food allergy. There are different types of OFCs, including a placebo challenge as mentioned in the review, but the definitive test will always be to consume the food itself in a controlled environment of an allergist’s office where the patient is surrounded by staff trained to recognize symptoms of an allergic reaction and treat it appropriately. Although we offer placebo challenges in appropriately selected patients, placebo challenges are usually not covered by insurance and might cost the patient extra time away from work or school and might add an additional financial burden to the procedure. That being said, a placebo challenge will still be offered in appropriate patients. Most adults and older children can undergo an OFC called an “open challenge”. If the allergy skin test and blood work is negative and the probability of an IgE mediated food allergy is low, then an allergist will often recommend an open challenge as an option. This involves skipping the placebo challenge and proceeding directly to challenging with food being tested. Most adults and children are able to effectively communicate symptoms during the challenge and the experience of the staff allows for appropriate interpretation of any symptoms that result from the anxiety of undergoing the challenge versus an actual allergic reaction. A decision to proceed with the challenge or terminate it can then be made appropriately. I would encourage any patient that had questions/concerns regarding the care they were receiving to ask their physician and allow the doctor the opportunity to explain their recommendations and treatment regimen. While the medical practice does keep me very busy, I’m always happy and ready to discuss any patient concerns. I encourage all patients to call the office and I’ll return the call at my earliest availability. Best, Gene A. Devora, MD/PhD

Submitted February 14, 2017

Dr. Devora is supposed to be an internal medicine doctor, yet all he seems to know anything about is allergies. Maybe if u have allergy issues you should go here, otherwise don't waste your time. He didn't help me in the slightest, I feel like he didn't even listen to what I said, and after I told him about what was going on with me, he said to take vitamins; which in this case, would not help me. Dont waste your time, this guy is a joke.

Submitted February 6, 2013

Dr. Gene Devora's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Gene A. Devora is Board Certified in Allergy and Immunology and specializes in the diagnosis and management of allergic and immunologic diseases. He founded the Devora Center for Allergy, Asthma & Immunology to provide comprehensive care for the entire family. The Devora Center nurses have over 20 years of combined experience in pediatric and adult allergy and immunology. Our dietitians have extensive food allergy experience and are passionate about their work. Together, our mission at the Devora Center is to provide you and your family with the best care tailored to your specific needs.

• English

• University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School At Dallas (Grad. 2005)

• Food allergy
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis
  • Asthma
  • Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
  • Contact dermatitis