Ratings for Dr. Gene Devora

This doctor is working in the dark ages of allergy science. He doesn't even use placebo method if you get to the stage of food testing. Agreed he is a joke and his bedside manner is deplorable. Save yourself the trouble.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Dr. Gene Devora

Dr. Gene Devora's response
We take all feedback (good or bad) seriously. I will respectively disagree with this review in regards to the communication and care my team and I provide to our patients. We realize that patients expect and deserve great service in addition to excellent healthcare treatment, and we strive to deliver a great experience to each patient at our clinic. Treating food allergies is similar to many other conditions, where the suggested treatment or evaluation may not be the same for each patient due to their specific symptoms, history, testing, etc. For example, if a patient is concerned about food allergy, an allergy doctor takes a detailed history and might perform food allergy testing. The testing might involve a skin prick test or food specific IgE blood work. In some cases, both testing methods might be recommended to better determine the probability of what is called an “IgE mediated” food allergy. Patients who test negative for a food via both skin prick and laboratory studies (food specific IgE) have a low probability of having an IgE mediated allergy to that food. To make the definitive diagnosis or completely rule out a food allergy, an allergist will often recommend and oral food challenge (OFC). An OFC is used to make the definitive diagnosis of a food allergy. There are different types of OFCs, including a placebo challenge as mentioned in the review, but the definitive test will always be to consume the food itself in a controlled environment of an allergist’s office where the patient is surrounded by staff trained to recognize symptoms of an allergic reaction and treat it appropriately. Although we offer placebo challenges in appropriately selected patients, placebo challenges are usually not covered by insurance and might cost the patient extra time away from work or school and might add an additional financial burden to the procedure. That being said, a placebo challenge will still be offered in appropriate patients. Most adults and older children can undergo an OFC called an “open challenge”. If the allergy skin test and blood work is negative and the probability of an IgE mediated food allergy is low, then an allergist will often recommend an open challenge as an option. This involves skipping the placebo challenge and proceeding directly to challenging with food being tested. Most adults and children are able to effectively communicate symptoms during the challenge and the experience of the staff allows for appropriate interpretation of any symptoms that result from the anxiety of undergoing the challenge versus an actual allergic reaction. A decision to proceed with the challenge or terminate it can then be made appropriately. I would encourage any patient that had questions/concerns regarding the care they were receiving to ask their physician and allow the doctor the opportunity to explain their recommendations and treatment regimen. While the medical practice does keep me very busy, I’m always happy and ready to discuss any patient concerns. I encourage all patients to call the office and I’ll return the call at my earliest availability. Best, Gene A. Devora, MD/PhD

Submitted February 14, 2017

Dr. Devora is supposed to be an internal medicine doctor, yet all he seems to know anything about is allergies. Maybe if u have allergy issues you should go here, otherwise don't waste your time. He didn't help me in the slightest, I feel like he didn't even listen to what I said, and after I told him about what was going on with me, he said to take vitamins; which in this case, would not help me. Dont waste your time, this guy is a joke.

Submitted February 6, 2013

Dr. Gene Devora's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Gene A. Devora is Board Certified in Allergy and Immunology and specializes in the diagnosis and management of allergic and immunologic diseases. He founded the Devora Center for Allergy, Asthma & Immunology to provide comprehensive care for the entire family. The Devora Center nurses have over 20 years of combined experience in pediatric and adult allergy and immunology. Our dietitians have extensive food allergy experience and are passionate about their work. Together, our mission at the Devora Center is to provide you and your family with the best care tailored to your specific needs.

• English

• University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School At Dallas (Grad. 2005)

• Food allergy
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis
  • Asthma
  • Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
  • Contact dermatitis