Ratings for Dr. Andrew Nielsen

Staff here have always been very helpful and accommodating if trying to get an earlier appointment.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

An amazing and insightful psychiatrist. Was able to connect with the person he saw and was so caring and has made such a difference

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

Kind, compassionate, considerate, humane and thoughtful. Extremely intelligent, takes care to understand difficult problems and complex life circumstances without leaping to premature suggestions as to how to solve them. A tad eccentric but engagingly so. Thinks creatively and comes up with innovative practical solutions to life problems. Diligent in explaining theories and perspectives in psychiatry to allow for informed choice about treatment pathways. Extremely supportive and patient. Has a cheerful, entertaining and optimistic conversational style. A proper gentleman in whom one can be comfortable in placing one’s trust. A real gem.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

This doctor has a forthright manner and often doesn’t sugar-coat things, which can occasionally be confronting. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say he is rude. He is often late, which is something he needs to work on, perhaps by getting his staff to call ahead to give notice of likely delays, although he always apologises for long waits. He provides materials that give me new perspectives on things, which I find very useful, even if sometimes challenging. He has a somewhat meandering style and it sometimes only becomes apparent what he’s driving at after he’s worked through several questions and answers, but that’s never been something that particularly bothered me, since I’ve been able to understand the reasons for the questions at the end. In terms of approach, I also find him to be confident without being supercilious or overbearing. One thing that is sometimes a bit odd is his idiosyncratic sense of humour, which can miss the mark, but jokes are never nasty. In my experience, he’s always been available to help with crises. Generally, he’s extremely courteous. He once took a long call during one of my appointments, but it was fairly clear the caller was having some kind of serious emergency, and he apologised afterwards. Overall, one of the better therapists I’ve worked with.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Pretty bad experience, always really late, and never apologise about that. He's rude , know at all, his report are so messy. I was in need of medication I had to wait 2 more month for a second appointment until we talk about it. And was still useless

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

I was sent to this jerk for an independent assessment and report for a compensation issue. The report was incomprehensible and full of irrelevant garbage including assessment of dangerousness and graphs of timelines. He must think a long report is a good report so he add padding, but he missed the main issues. I really don't know why the authorities refer to him.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

I saw this doctor for a long time before realising I needed to work with a female practitioner as my core therapist to best handle the problems I faced. I did have a few beefs with him, but they were always resolved respectfully and professionally when I explained what was upsetting me. In what I do, I am responsible for the care and well-being of a lot of people, and I can say that it's not always easy to be perfect and it's really hard when people put you on a pedestal and then knock you off when you fall short of perfection. People make mistakes, even shrinks. Like I say, I had some issues, some of them fairly serious, but instead of posting criticisms, I raised these issues with him privately, giving him the opportunity to address them. That's how I hope to be treated, and how I think it's right to treat people the way one would hope to be treated by others. I apologise if anyone who's posted a negative review has tried and failed for resolution of a conflict through direct engagement with this doctor, but do urge anyone who hasn't to at least give it a go.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

This doctor is terrible. He cant communicate and seems awfully unsure of himself. He carries on with nonsense and asks irrelevant questions. He is disorganised to the extreme but and an outward portrayal of obsessionality. I cant understand that others have rated him so high.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2016

To those who have written decent reviews, I presume you have only seen him once or twice. Please don't leave it too long to change. He may bulk bill, but you only get what you pay for...nothing! He started off as someone I thought was great. Quickly changed to a arrogant, smart alec waste of time. I should have and wanted to dump him in 2009 after a suicide attempt. He was supposed to see me at hospital, but contacted the hospital staff cancelling my appointments night after night. Not what you need when you re at your lowest. I believe the hospital admin revved it up him, but stupidly I remained with him on the advice of someone we will name as Mira. I guess since then it has been better the devil you know. For the last few years he has shown me no courtesy. I'd go to visit him really needing some help, and if I managed to see him, I left feeling worse than before. He has me on high doses of medication , one of which I took myself off over a period of time. No one else can understand why I am on these medications. He took nearly 9 years to get my diagnosis correct. I know it was my fault for sticking with the fool, but not any more. Stay clear or you will be sorry.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2016

Rude obnoxious and the report he prepared was full of cut and paste from other people's reports with things in there that were not even discussed the evaluation. What a joke. Took a 20 minute phone call in the middle of the appointment.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2016