Ratings for Dr. Sally W. Smith

I have finally found a doctor who will listen and works well with me. So worth the drive from Summerville. dr. Smith is great!

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

I'm lucky to be living after having Dr. Smith treat my depression. I started with mild depression, and the SSRI she prescribed sent me into a downward spiral that ruined my career - I quit work, stopped leaving my house except for appointments. Instead of taking me off the SSRI, she added "boosters", which are probably the only thing that kept me alive. I had gone from fleeting suicidal thoughts to making elaborate plans. Luckily, my COBRA ran out, and I had to switch to a med student at MUSC. She immediately took me off the SSRI and put me on an SNRI, and my condition improved almost overnight. My experience with Dr. Smith left me terrified and distrustful of pyschiatrists. I went untreated for about a decade. Then I saw other doctors who - SHOCKER - will take you OFF a drug instead hammering away with the same one that's making you worse. My current pyschiatrist determined that I do poorly with SSRIs, somewhat better with SNRIs, but ultimately, he gave me an MAOI, and I finally have my life back! INow in hindsight, I realize how many years I wasted being miserable because Dr. Smith scared me away from taking drugs. Seeing her was the worst thing that ever happened to me, just behind my father's two-year struggle with cancer.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

I've been seeing Dr. Smith for several years now. We haven't always seen eye to eye as far as my treatment is concerned but ultimately I think she had the right idea and I'm much more stable now than I was when I first started seeing her. -- Okay so apparently I haven't used enough characters yet, so let me say a bit more -- She never keeps me waiting. Period. She usually seems genuinely interested in what I have to say, the sole exception being the time I was her first appointment of the day, the day she got back from vacation. If she makes a mistake, she'll admit it. If she feels you have a point, she'll concede it. If you read something on the net and bring it in with you, she is very OK with that. I once mailed her a copy of a journal article I'd found, and she modified her approach as a result. My only real complaint is that my med management appointments are very short and I often leave wishing I'd had a bit more time to discuss things. Enough characters now? Good.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2014

I DIDN'T HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH DR. SMITH. I BELIEVE HER EMOTIONS GOT IN THE WAY OF MY TRATMENT WHICH ENDED UP TERMINATING MY TRATMENT WITH HER AFTER A WHOLE YEAR AS A PATIENT, BUT SHE ROCKS WITH MED MANAGEMENT; ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE BIPOLAR OR ANXIETY.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2009

I greatly admire Dr. Smith as a doctor and as a person. She and I gel, and I like when a doctor is more the 'mad scientist' and 'super interested in their job' type rather than a overly-pitying, 'drag you down under the proverbial water of our problems' type. Did that make any sense? Sometimes psychiatry and psychoanalysis make one too self reflective to the point of feeling down, and instead of assuming the air of the 'usher and reminder of problems,' she carries cheerfully on and enjoys the process, which I enjoy in turn. Highly intelligent, stable, an incredible listener, and an important part of my health, even though I only get to see her part of the year.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2009

As far as med management goes, she is wonderful, especially if you have a mood disorder, ADHD,anxiety. I felt as though when it came to actually dealing with the "real" issues one might have, I got a lot of mixed messages from her about tx. The feeling I got from her when treatment ended was that she really didn't care about her patients, b/c if she had, I can only believe that she wouldn't have terminated treatment so abruptly and unprofessionally.I also felt as though my trust with her was broken and it took me a LONG time to trust her. She did help me keep on going when I didn't want to, so she was helpful and if I wasn't her pt during that time, I honestly might not be here today and for that I'm thankful for her. There could've been"negative"events I experienced that happened with her, but she is a good PsychMD.Some pts need more than a PT PsychMD. I guess that's what I needed, but having to end my tx left me feeling like I was "too much" to handle/help.Shes a GOOD PsychMD,really!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2009

Dr. Sally W. Smith's Credentials

• Med Univ Of Sc Coll Of Med, Charleston Sc 29425 (Grad. 1991)

UnitedHealthcare