Ratings for Dr. Jimmy C. Chow

In March of this year I sought the advice of Dr. Chow for arthritis and severe pain in my left knee. For 9 years I had limited my activities waiting to get “old enough” for a surgeon to justify performing the knee replacement that I needed. After learning of advances in partial knee repairs and Makoplasty I sought Dr Chow's opinion. He reviewed my case and pronounced that he could definitely solve my knee problem and explained the procedure in detail. The surgery went perfectly, the recuperation was uneventful and the physical therapy was successful. I missed only three days of work for the procedure and recuperation. Three months after surgery I was back to hiking steep mountains in rough terrain without pain for the first time in 9 years. Dr Chow is a true expert in his field. As an engineer he has an outstanding mastery of biomechanics and applies them precisely to solve his patients' problems. He is compassionate, professional and kind; truly an outstanding surgeon. As a physician myself, I am proud to acknowledge the outstanding skill and talents of Dr Chow. He is as good as a Physician can be.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

Dr. Hedley replaced my knee in 2009. All seemed to go well (other than my knee cap never stayed in place which I attributed to a genetic issue because Dr. Hedley could not figure out the problem). Two years later I was back because my leg was now 3/4 inch shorter than the "good" leg. He x-rayed the knee he operated on and pronounced that it looked great. He sent me on my way with no explanation why the leg was getting shorter. 2013 leg is 1 1/4 inch short so I go to Dr. Jimmy Chow (turns out he works with Dr. Hedley). He listens to my concerns, x-rays the knee and pronounced "all is good". Again no explanation why leg is now more than an inch shorter. Finally in mid-2017 a young general practitioner wants an x-ray of my hip on the "bad" leg side (first time anyone suggested this). Turns out this entire time my hip was slowly moving back and into the pelvis and was now two inches out of place. I am told that this has been going on for so long that it will be very difficult to ever put back there it belongs. I am going to Dr. Gregory Grant to operate on the hip and hope that something can be done, but only time will tell. I was warned that Dr. Hedley did not have great "patient skills", but he was a great ortho surgeon. He did a great job on my knee, but, despite questions about the length of the "bad" leg never suggested x-raying the hip, nor did his partner, Dr. Chow. Given their expertise I am disappointed that they did not take time to diagnose what a young GP did.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Dr. Chow is a nice doctor with what seemed to be a great surgical technique and mechanically superior. But, 2 years after hip replacement I still have pain and limited activities I can participate in due to pain in the same operated hip. It makes me feel sad when other people say they had hip replacement and no pain afterward, but I still suffer even after hip replacement and I am young compared to the average age of this. I still get intense cramping in my buttocks where the incision was made and groin pain which has never disappeared. I am sad I cannot say my hip feels good.

Submitted October 28, 2013

Dr. Chow is an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. He performed hip replacement surgery on me using the SuperPATH method. I had an extreme case of hip dysplasia with over a two inch leg length discrepancy. Dr. Chow replaced my hip and made my leg completely even with my other leg. I was walking over a mile within 2 days of surgery. I was playing tennis 3 weeks after surgery. The result was miraculous. He is a brilliant surgeon. He takes time with his patients and fully informs and discusses all options and outcomes. I now need to have my right knee replaced. I would never consider having a doctor other than Dr. Chow perform the surgery.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2012